NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New compiles/Away for quite sometime
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: New compiles/Away for quite sometime Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just wanted to say hi & let everyone know I've updated some compiles on systems over the weekend. Not tons of stuff, but some things. Most stuff compiled on x86,sparc & hppa. Hope to get back into using some of my systems more. I'll be around more. The files are located at the same place as before.

http://kb7sqi.dyndns.org/files/

Take care.

-----
Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kb7,

Glad to see that your file archive is still online. Welcome to the forums. Smile
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
Hi kb7,

Glad to see that your file archive is still online. Welcome to the forums. Smile

Hey Nitro,
Yeah, it has been quite sometime. Smile I got the "urge" to break out my NeXT boxes after loading Openstep 4.2 on my laptop under MacOSX. First, I broke out the TurboSlab, then the x86 laptop, & the Sparc 5 and finally broke out my gecko yesterday. So they're all up & running again except for a few other original NeXT systems that are spares. Work has slowed down this past week, so I enjoyed compiling some stuff this last weekend. I'm going to try to update other stuff as I have time. After reading some of the messages in the forums, fyi, my apache-1.3.39 is compiled w/ mod_ssl against openssl-0.98e. It's running on my Sparc 5 now w/ no problems & I tested it on x86/hppa as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there was a security flaw in openssl, I've compiled the newest version for hppa/sparc/intel as well as re-linked most software against the libraries on my site. I've got more x86 stuff to upload, but if you're interested in the source, just grab the hppa files & compile that. Sorry, my gecko has been my main compile system here recently it's the only system running ns3.3 and I'm in the middle of re-arranging all my systems/getting my laptop all setup running Openstep under Parallels. There's also some newer compiles of some software as well. If anyone has any questions feel free to drop me a message or an email. Take care.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after all these years of my "archives" being online, I'm going to start converting them to true installable packages. I've already started the process & have made several packages for gecko's & i386. So, I'm giving people here a choice. Until I get my new dev box built that will be able to compile for all arch's again, I want to know what arch gets top priority? m68k, i386, sparc or hppa? Everyone knows most of my stuff is compiled for Openstep on i386/sparc/m68k. I don't have hours to devote to this, so I'm leaving it up to you guys as to which arch comes first. If I don't get any responses, then I'll just convert & post them when I have time. The reasoning is, I get quite a few emails about the packages & to be honest, I have 50 megs of space left on the Sparc 5 in /usr/local. It's a 2 gig drive. Packages will take up less space & I'll stop posting the source archives. I'll be happy to make them available on request. I hope this will make it easier for everyone using my software. Take care.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it's i386...

You know perhaps this screams we need a NS/OS census...
helf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use black hardware...
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 vote i386 & 1 vote for m68k. Very Happy Helf, I understand about black hardware. I've had my one Turbo Color system for over 10 years now. It's ran flawless all these years. When I started getting all the requests for x86, sparc, & gecko stuff, my Turbo Color started getting used alot less. But I do plan on updating ALOT my m68k stuff also. I just need some sort of idea where people want me to focus more time on. I don't usually have tons of free time. Sad
helf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool Smile better work on the arch with the most users. Just as long as the 68k stuff eventually gets updated Wink (im in no hurry)
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've got one of x86 boxes setup for quad compiling again and I started re-building stuff so I can compile stuff for all systems again. If you point your browsers towards http://kb7sqi.dyndns.org/files/packages/ You will find the first packages that are made QUAD FAT. I'll be compiling more stuff as the week goes on, but as in the past, I've said it over & over again, I use this stuff on my systems, it runs fine. I make no promises, but atleast stuff will be in package form now so you can install it as you like. Very Happy Please report any problems w/ any packages. I had a request for several things over the weekend, but they were x86 only so, I'll hold off on making those available till they're quad fat. Take care.
helf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are my hero Smile
helf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i have one teeny request that can be fulfilled whenever ;)

A properly working port of top. I love top, super useful. A friend of mine got it to compile on my NeXT and it works for the most part. only thing it does not do is show the process name. So the only way to tell what program PID 3568 is that's using 85% of my CPU is to run the 'ps' command in another terminal. Can get old :P

I browsed through your archive and did not see top. But I could have missed it.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:

A properly working port of top. I love top, super useful. A friend of mine got it to compile on my NeXT and it works for the most part. only thing it does not do is show the process name. So the only way to tell what program PID 3568 is that's using 85% of my CPU is to run the 'ps' command in another terminal. Can get old :P

It's already been done. Wink If you need a copy fast for NS3.3, grab the hppa version & extract it into a directory, do a gmake clean, gmake. It should work fine.

But I'll make a package here shortly. First I have another post to make.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
helf wrote:

It's already been done. Wink If you need a copy fast for NS3.3, grab the hppa version & extract it into a directory, do a gmake clean, gmake. It should work fine.

But I'll make a package here shortly. First I have another post to make.

Compiled quad fat & packaged. It's available for download now. Let me know how it works. There's 2 different flags for the top package. I chose the next32 version to get it to compile & show the commands on my x86 box. Normally you'd use the next40 version. I can compile it either way.
helf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks. I'll try it out tonight. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: