NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New compiles/Away for quite sometime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devocite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Compiler Tool Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
Hi Jam,
Welcome to the forums!

Thank you!

kb7sqi wrote:

Something like pkgsrc for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP would be great, but the problem is how bad/out dated the *BSD core is are based on BSD4.3.

NetBSD is based on this lineage, so I'm very familiar with the BSD kernel, in general. I'm guesing that if I get the full devoper edition, the kernel code in included and if I run into some issues, I may be able to 'fix' stuff as needed. Also, NetBSD has an amazing kernel compatability, even for legacy 4.3 BSD, so who knows what sort of fun stuff I can get into.

I think for general apps, it would be doable. That said, the pkgsrc system has a mechanism for building dependencies based on OS build, but that is a topic for another day...

kb7sqi wrote:
NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP The POSIX situation is pretty sad also. Wink It's broken/buggy.

Yeah, NetBSD, until recently, didn't have POSIX threads, so I became very familar with pthreads, which I noticed was up on your file site Smile

Quote:
Now saying all that, is it possible to get stuff to compile? Sure, I compile stuff all the time. Laughing Some stuff will compile pretty easily, but most take some work. Sometimes it's simple as adding a few #defines to the source, etc. Other times, it can be a major pain in the *ss. It all depends on what you're trying to compile. I still compile stuff because I still enjoy it & I hate seeing a good NeXT system go to waste. Wink

Yes, I suffer from this syndrome too... I have a HP 713, a couple of Microvax IIs, a Decstation 240, and a SGI, all which I tend to rotate use on. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but she has her scrapbook hobbies, I have my hardware hobbies. Besides, I just love a good challenge Very Happy

Quote:
If you have NEXTSTEP 3.3 User installed, you still need the 3.3 Developer to be able to compile anything. The Developer CD contains all the system headers, compiler, libraries, etc. Once you have that installed, then it's true, you can use a newer port of egcs/gcc upto 2.95.3. That's the last compiler that supports NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP. Personally I try to stick to the stock compilers that comes w/ NEXTSTEP 3.3, which is NeXT's version of gcc-2.5.8. Yeah, it's old! Smile The compiler that comes w/ OPENSTEP 4.2 is 2.7.2.1. Why stick to the stock compilers? Well, that way you can compile software triple/quad fat!

Good info! I guess I will begin watching Ebay for a developer edition of NeXT/OPENSTEP x86, because I'm sure if Apple was unwilling to sell me a copy in the '90s, I'm sure they have no intentions now! Sad
Unless someone, on the board, has a copy to sell Smile

Quote:
If you start working on elinks & need help feel free to ask. Hope that helps. Take care.

Thank you for your time, I'm sure we will be talking again.

- jam
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated Misc Compile for Sparc only really. The one screensaver I love most for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP is LizardView. Back when my oldest son was born, he could stare at it for hours. Wink It comes pre-compiled for i386/m68k/hppa, but not for sparc. I never took the time to really look @ why it failed to compile on NEXTSTEP 3.3 before. So, after asking Leo to look at it, I looked at it more. The fix was easy. Shocked I just had to look at how never BackSpace modules were compiled & make a minor change to the source. Anyway, I'm thrilled to have it working on my Sparc besides my other boxes. I've thrown it up in the misc section on my web site. It's compiled quad-fat now. Just install it like any other BackSpace module. The one funny thing about this BackSpace module is now, over 8 years later, both my sons & my wife love staring at it. rofl. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated pkg: climm-0.6.3

This update gets climm working again. I hadn't used ICQ on my systems in a while so I hadn't noticed it wasn't working. Sorry about that. Anyway, it's compiled quad-fat/posted like normal. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's been a while since I've had a chance to compile anything. I had a personal request so I took some time today to try to compile something. Wink

If you look in the intel & hppa directories on the web server you'll find a package called schilly-1.0. This is actually a combo package of smake-1.2a41, star-1.5 & cdrtools-2.01.01a50. The gecko version is for NEXTSTEP 3.3 and I'm sorry, but the x86 version is only compiled for OPENSTEP 4.2 right now. Now in saying that, using smake to compile something makes it kinda difficult to do quad-fat compiles. That's the reason for the single packages & I was needing to compile on NEXTSTEP & OPENSTEP. All three of these individual packages really compile clean w/ out much trouble. star-1.5 is the only one that has a problem. So if you need one of these, right away, I suggest you give it a shot. Once you have smake compiled, & it compiles out of the box, cdrtools is a clean compile also. Anyway, once I have some more free time, I'll compile each one individually & then lipo them all together & make proper packages. I just wanted to get what I had out there. Hope they come in handy. I'll try to get quad packages in the next week or so. Sorry, works been extremely busy. Take care.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's hard to believe it's been since Sept, since I updated this thread. Sad Anyway, as promised, I had some free time yesterday/today & had a chance to compile the latest version of OpenSSL-0.9.8j. This was a security update. So, I didn't want to wait till the end of the month. So, here's the updates/re-compiles against the lastest version. Smile More to come as time permits:

openssl-0.9.8j-zlib-1.2.3.combo package
openssl-3.6.1p2
apache-1.3.41
climm-0.6.3
fetchmail-5.9.13
links-2.1pre19
msmtp-1.4.17 <-- updated package as well.
stunnel-4.26 <-- updated package as well.

Everything is in the packages directory & compiled quad-fat like always. And like the last version of OpenSSL I compiled, it's compiled against zlib-1.2.3. So if you want to compile something against it, you have to link against -lz as well in /usr/local/lib. Smile Enjoy. I hope everyone had a great holiday season. Take care.
NeXTnewbe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
Wow, it's hard to believe it's been since Sept, since I updated this thread. Sad Anyway, as promised, I had some free time yesterday/today & had a chance to compile the latest version of OpenSSL-0.9.8j. This was a security update. So, I didn't want to wait till the end of the month. So, here's the updates/re-compiles against the lastest version. Smile More to come as time permits:

openssl-0.9.8j-zlib-1.2.3.combo package
openssl-3.6.1p2
apache-1.3.41
climm-0.6.3
fetchmail-5.9.13
links-2.1pre19
msmtp-1.4.17 <-- updated package as well.
stunnel-4.26 <-- updated package as well.

Everything is in the packages directory & compiled quad-fat like always. And like the last version of OpenSSL I compiled, it's compiled against zlib-1.2.3. So if you want to compile something against it, you have to link against -lz as well in /usr/local/lib. Smile Enjoy. I hope everyone had a great holiday season. Take care.

arghh!!! I just update the apache and is not working anymore, how can I fix it , please
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I know there's a few ICQ users here so I need your help especially if you're over in Europe. Smile Can you give the new climm-0.6.4 package a try & see if your user lists are showing up properly while using the program. The reason I'm asking is because I know linmag7 has been having problems w/ the last version 0.6.3, but I'm pretty sure this is because of some changes that deal w/ ICQ. Anyway, my list of ICQ users is pretty small these days & I didn't see anyone on now here @ 04:30 this morning. The new version is compiled quad fat like always & in the normal packages directory. Thanks for testing. Take care!
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
Hi all,
I know there's a few ICQ users here so I need your help especially if you're over in Europe. Smile Can you give the new climm-0.6.4 package a try & see if your user lists are showing up properly while using the program. The reason I'm asking is because I know linmag7 has been having problems w/ the last version 0.6.3, but I'm pretty sure this is because of some changes that deal w/ ICQ. Anyway, my list of ICQ users is pretty small these days & I didn't see anyone on now here @ 04:30 this morning. The new version is compiled quad fat like always & in the normal packages directory. Thanks for testing. Take care!

I wanted to add on this & let everyone know if you have problems seeing people in your list of ICQ users, you need to edit your ~/.climm/climmrc file similar to this:

[Server]
type icq8 auto
version 8
host login.icq.com
port 5190
screen 9248680
password ***********
status online
# options ignore off wantsbl on obeysbl on <--------- Notice the pound sign. Smile

The options line in the Server config part of the file preventing the "few" users I had online on my list to not show up. Once I put the # in front of the line, everything was fine. I spent the day on ICQ today, changing my password, updating my profile, chatting w/ a few friends, and no further problems. So, I hope this helps. I wasn't sure if it was a climm issue or a porting problem. Since I saw the issues also on OpenSolaris, Solaris 10, Linux & NetBSD, I figured it had to be something else since there really isn't a lot of changes required to get climm working on NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP. Take care.
jaallen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy had a lot of stuff that is needed, to even try to get a good modern system out of Next these days, and now he is just gone? He did alot of awesome work! I think its great. But why on earth keep it to yourself, and/or have no way of getting them now???????

The files are gone? WTF.

Blows. Does anyone have or was able to grab some of his packages? He did some really incredible ports, and has my full respect for doing this for us, but why not put them somewhere or ask to put them somewhere before he shut down, he actually complained about it, so he could have hosted them here!

I am mostly interested in the postfix, openssl, msmtp stuff he compiled.

Reason is, I am setting up a site, that will have full instructions for a more modern and secure NeXTSTEP3.3 and OpenSTEP4.2 installations, and the full downloads to do it step by step and get it all working, with links to branch off in what way you want it to work, and instr to do the same.

I am also almost complete in a new web browser, using mozilla c source to the Objc libs.

But, I really need some of this guys libraries. And maybe even his help. I PMed him a while ago, but he has not replied. I really dont want to clutter my head up compiling and moving off of Objc to compile this stuff, that was done pretty well already.

Did anyone make a CD or something of his files? I will pay to have a cd shipped witht this stuff on it to me.

Thanks.
helf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a backup of his site before it went offline. I'm leaving for a week long trip in two days, so it'll probably be after Christmas before I can get to creating a torrent or whatever of it all.

If Nitro is up for it, I can upload everything to the forums archives. I'll have to ask him about that. Its ~1.6gb or something like that.
jaallen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helf,

as I said in another thread, that is great and thank god, this fellow had ALOT of good stuff we can use, especially today...

I can wait, but I am sure Nitro has asked for this archive before, so I hope he allows the transfer for others.

If not, I have no problem grabbing a dvd for a fee from you. Though I would like to see others get them as well.
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaallen wrote:

I am also almost complete in a new web browser, using mozilla c source to the Objc libs.

Can you share this code ?
jaallen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I will, when done and working.
helf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man. A new browser would be amazing Smile

I'll let everyone know when I get back from my trip and can root out the backup.
jaallen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know it sounds funky, but I have been wrestling with what libs available I can link and run with, what I have from the FreeBSD archives and recent to run with, lots of source pruning for the bulk of what I need, and what I dont (ala gtk inbred in the source, to match my functions in OBJC in the frameworks). Not to mention display postscript I had to work with on some parts.

Its been a hobby of mine for about a year, and I still have some lib problems when it comes to java piping, and a SSL snag, but I do have the NIB and interface up, and the framework for the mozilla engine. You guys have no idea how much external work and libs and modules it takes to just get something working nowadays, well, I think you all do actually.

I do what I can as a fun project, most say I will never get it done, but recently showed someone what I have and they thought it might fly, but then they laugh and say "why NeXT sh$t Jeff, its a waste".

I tell them, its still present, as I log in to OSX, then tell them nothing will be as fun and elegant, and as powerful as 'step.

If I win, then I am off to a more modern mail client. I then do not know anything about licensing any of this either, but then again, does it matter until its ready anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: