NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New compiles/Away for quite sometime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaallen wrote:
Reason is, I am setting up a site, that will have full instructions for a more modern and secure NeXTSTEP3.3 and OpenSTEP4.2 installations, and the full downloads to do it step by step and get it all working, with links to branch off in what way you want it to work, and instr to do the same.
Thanks.

Do you mean that you consider making a kind of SystemUpgrade package that will contain some libraries you talked about, and some other.. ?
jaallen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

One stop shop PKG. Will include the updated modified mail.app additions that are working great for me and the new native browser I am working on. Although, I can see why more than one can only handle coding a browser. I may not be enough for the time I have, and knowledge background. Its really rough. I do not know how much I can do alone for that. Only two frameworks down and still a huge amount to do. Plus staying within OpenStep and gnustep at the same time might kill me. But I will keep plugging away.

I may have to go underground on some code lic from Mozilla, but, I m not sure how that will be accepted when I submit, or the ssl framework since I am pulling from OpenSSL should be ok.

I just wonder if going native is good for performance,(pulling in frameworks via new classes) then contained, but I wouldn't be able to handle all the code for the gtk of what is available in mozilla source. I am still banging my head on this, and can see why no-one has tried. And going by Debian and Firefox wars, how it will be acepted for Gnustep, but then again, they can just run the firefox package with the gtk set now, probably wont touch it, which is why I am going the Omni way, my own write. But it looks to be why Omni was always so slow, overhead of the frameworks and load of classes, not even the gnustep builds at this point am I looking at (will do both or not at all). I am not sure, but looks it. So if I get further, and things end up slow, I am dropping it, and may just focus on an existing port instead.
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new progress on the web browser?

tj

jaallen wrote:
Exactly.

One stop shop PKG. Will include the updated modified mail.app additions that are working great for me and the new native browser I am working on. Although, I can see why more than one can only handle coding a browser. I may not be enough for the time I have, and knowledge background. Its really rough. I do not know how much I can do alone for that. Only two frameworks down and still a huge amount to do. Plus staying within OpenStep and gnustep at the same time might kill me. But I will keep plugging away.

I may have to go underground on some code lic from Mozilla, but, I m not sure how that will be accepted when I submit, or the ssl framework since I am pulling from OpenSSL should be ok.

I just wonder if going native is good for performance,(pulling in frameworks via new classes) then contained, but I wouldn't be able to handle all the code for the gtk of what is available in mozilla source. I am still banging my head on this, and can see why no-one has tried. And going by Debian and Firefox wars, how it will be acepted for Gnustep, but then again, they can just run the firefox package with the gtk set now, probably wont touch it, which is why I am going the Omni way, my own write. But it looks to be why Omni was always so slow, overhead of the frameworks and load of classes, not even the gnustep builds at this point am I looking at (will do both or not at all). I am not sure, but looks it. So if I get further, and things end up slow, I am dropping it, and may just focus on an existing port instead.
StainlessSteelRat

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi, are you still around? been missing OS4.2 + CubX(can't say I miss xnext on rhapsody) a bit, would like to start building some apps... seems like I can't reach your site. any chance I can get a look at some of your ports? I never did get any version of gtk+ going properly, for sure.

oh, I can give you admin access to the old mach-ports google code page, if you need a place to host stuff.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StainlessSteelRat wrote:
kb7sqi, are you still around? been missing OS4.2 + CubX(can't say I miss xnext on rhapsody) a bit, would like to start building some apps... seems like I can't reach your site. any chance I can get a look at some of your ports? I never did get any version of gtk+ going properly, for sure.

oh, I can give you admin access to the old mach-ports google code page, if you need a place to host stuff.

Yeah, I'm still around, but I haven't had time to do anything the past several months. The hard drive died in the web server, aka my Sparc 5 running OPENSTEP. Wink I haven't had the time to install a new drive. I have most everything backed up, but it'd be great if someone would be willing to host everything I have in the archives. It's right around 8-10 gigs including everything from the SFTP server also. Take care.

Steve.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, I've started the process of updating packages. Wink Once I get the "core" updated, I'll be posting packages. Quite a few need to be updated like zlib, openssl, etc. More to come. Take care.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
Quite a few need to be updated like zlib, openssl, etc. More to come.Steve

What do you think about making a compilation of many libs in one package ?
StainlessSteelRat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Steve. I'm actually going to start messing with mosxs 1.2 and osx 10.0 and then see what I can do with os4.2 x86. can't wait to see what you've been up to.

oneNext, create a thread with your ideas about a compilation and I'll help out. I can port and package, but, unfortuanately, only have access to PPC and x86 hardware to build and test.
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StainlessSteelRat wrote:
oneNext, create a thread with your ideas about a compilation and I'll help out. I can port and package, but, unfortuanately, only have access to PPC and x86 hardware to build and test.

Thanks for your help, i should also be able to test on m68k.
itomato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneNeXT wrote:
kb7sqi wrote:

4.2 Patch 5 Smile I think you would have more hands than work!
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
oneNeXT wrote:
kb7sqi wrote:

4.2 Patch 5 Smile I think you would have more hands than work!

There's one BIG problem on working on a compilation of many libs in one huge package for NEXTSTEP 3.3. That problem being that things have to be compiled statically instead of using "shared" libs. So let's say you compile zlib, openssl, and then openssh, or pine, apache, or a better perfect example of a simpile command line/x11 browser like links2. There's a security bug for zlib. Now you have to go back re-compile zlib, if openssl is linked against it like my version is, then you have to recompile that, then finally you can recompile main program openssh, pine, apache, etc. This take time. Just to put together the openssl package for NS3.3/OS4.2 take quite a bit of time because you have to compile it for each architecture seperately & then lipo everything together. Most stuff don't require that, but there are some programs that do.

Sure I'm going to re-compile/link everything again doing individual packages like I do now, but doing it this way, I can at least get the most "important" ones done first & then worry about the other ones as I "need" them or have time to compile them. When you throw everything in one big mega package, you'd be rebuilding it all the time. lol.

Over the last few weeks as I've had time, I have updated zlib, openssl, openssh, pine, msmtp, fetchmail, stunnel, zip, unzip, ported curl, etc. I created a few packages of stuff I hadn't made packages for in the past. I've sent most of those via email to a few forum members. One of them should be making them available for download soon. In what little other spare time I have, I've been working on completing DVD images, getting DHCP working 100% on all 4 architectures, not just x86/m68k and trying to pin down a strange bug in newer version of both sendmail & postfix I haven't seen before. I'm around, but I've just been extremely busy. Take care.

Steve
gregwtmtno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I know I'm late to the party here, but does anyone have the software that kb7sqi was able to port? The link to his dyndns thing doesn't seem to respond at all. I've been trying to compile as many GNU tools as possible on my own but its slow going.

Thanks in advance!
gregwtmtno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who comes across this thread in the future, someone was kind enough to make the builds available to me. I don't have the bandwidth to make them public, but feel free to PM me and I'll do the same for you.
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you update some build ?
eagle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregwtmtno wrote:
For anyone who comes across this thread in the future, someone was kind enough to make the builds available to me. I don't have the bandwidth to make them public, but feel free to PM me and I'll do the same for you.

I have the bandwidth and the space for them. I was just waiting on kb7sqi to send me his files, but I haven't gotten them yet. If you can send them to me, I can put them online for all to have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: