NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Nitro
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pentium

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To our knowledge, one NRW, an incomplete unit, exists.

As for your Nitro, what an awesome history it seems to have! Smile
As to how many exist, I don't think there are any more outside of that list. It was a specfic piece of gear for a very expensive computer.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
brams

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: I own a Nitro Reply with quote

NeXT-Nitro wrote:
Hey guys,

I may be 2 years late to this thread, but I'd like to report that I own a Nitro. It's in may parents' basement right now, and I am not, so I'm a bit sketchy on the details.

I think I bought it around 2004 from Randy Rencsock (who runs channelu.com), and I believe mine is the very one that is on the main picture on http://channelu.com/NeXT/Black/Nitro/index.html. However, on that page Randy writes the pictures are of a non-working one. Mine is definitely working (or at least was, last time I looked maybe 3 years ago), and it's in a Turbo Colour slab. I remember it was just fast enough to play back 128kbit MP3s in stereo with 123mpg, something that my cube could never do.

Writing this I get all nostalgic about my computer collection, and I feel like I have to fire up one or the other old piece next time I get round to it! To be honest, I am pretty scared to discover that something is wrong with the Nitro after such a long time of inactivity ... capacitors dry out and blow up, I've seen it happen on old machines.

If you guys want I can take a couple of pictures some time in the next months.

Now, does anyone have any idea above and beyond the info on Randy's page linked to above about how many Nitros exist?

... And how many NRWs, and where they are?

Cheers,
:: Florian

Hi Florian,

Is that Oxford UK?, Mr. Rencsock I thought he'd evaporated or been abducted, he does not seem to bother replying to email anymore. I was trying to buy a non ADB SB from him and he also says he has OS 4.2 for HP-PA that I was after. I bet you paid dearly for the Nitro he has good stuff around him and is knowledgeable. I bought my TC slab from him in 2000.

Cheers
NeXT-Nitro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: I own a Nitro Reply with quote

Yes, UK. Randy does seem a bit slow in updating his website; some pages on there have been last edited exactly 10 years ago.

Speaking of the NeXT OS: I remember I had (and still have, if I dig up the hardware) it running on NeXT (Turbo Dimension Cube, Nitro, Turbo Colour Slab), Sun (SparcStation 20), and Intel (486), but I haven't got a version for HP-PA. I believe I have some suitable hardware (HP 9000/715 ... could that be it?), so I'd be interested to try that.

What's the last version of the OS anyone got hold of? Any chance to get any of the internal Apple builds for Intel?

Yes, I did pay dearly for the Nitro, but I was young, and had the money.

brams wrote:

Hi Florian,

Is that Oxford UK?, Mr. Rencsock I thought he'd evaporated or been abducted, he does not seem to bother replying to email anymore. I was trying to buy a non ADB SB from him and he also says he has OS 4.2 for HP-PA that I was after. I bet you paid dearly for the Nitro he has good stuff around him and is knowledgeable. I bought my TC slab from him in 2000.

Cheers
gtnicol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Nitro is installed in a cube, does it have to be installed in slot 2 like a pyro? Does it need the motherboard modification too or does it required a backplane modification?
NeXT-Nitro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that the Nitro in my prototype slab just replaces the CPU. Unfortunately I don't own a Pyro, so I don't know how that would be installed differently.
gtnicol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Pyro in a cube, you have to have the motherboard live in slot 2, so you can either modify the backplane, or, as per the pyro docs, modify the motherboard by soldering a lead across a few pins.
gtnicol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Cube or slab for this? A Nitro Dimension cube might be the trick I think.

NeXT Nitro by gtnicol, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: