NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
SSH 'server'...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: SSH 'server'... Reply with quote

Anyone tried porting the OpenSSH Server to NS/OS ? Be nice to be able to ssh to my boxes instead of telnet.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: SSH 'server'... Reply with quote

helf wrote:
Anyone tried porting the OpenSSH Server to NS/OS ? Be nice to be able to ssh to my boxes instead of telnet.

Helf,
If you're running NS3.3 on your NeXT box, you should be able to grab the gecko archives off my site & just re-compile them for your system. If not, give me a few days & I'll have a new package w/ all the required stuff ready to be installable. Very Happy The older versions of OpenSSH 3.6-3.8 compiled pretty easily on NS/OS, but the latest version 4.7 which does compile on Openstep, took some work. I still don't have to use the -posix flag, but it wasn't my cleanest port. sftp don't work as well. ssh works fine. I haven't been able to get 4.7 to compile w/ the stock 2.5.8 compiler on a ns3.3 yet though. I'll take a look @ it again soon. m68k/x86 atleast have a newer gcc available to use. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
helf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, thanks! I was looking through your archive earlier. must've skipped over the files. I'll give that a try Smile
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question which I should probably know, but where does your ssh package look for the prngd pool? I've installed both and all I get is PRNG is not seeded.

-Mike

DOH nevermind I figured it out looks like in openssl 0.9.7+ it looks for the socket in any of four places.

/var/run/egd-pool
/dev/egd-pool
/etc/egd-pool
/etc/entropy

So as long as you use one of those it works.

-Mike
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I use /etc/egd-pool on all my systems. Just to keep some kind of consistancy. I provided an example of how I start them on startup in the README in the packages directory. Here's how I start them up vi /etc/rc.local

if [ -f /usr/local/sbin/prngd ]; then
echo -n ' prngd' >/dev/console
/usr/local/sbin/prngd /etc/egd-pool
fi

if [ -f /usr/local/sbin/sshd ]; then
echo -n ' sshd ' >/dev/console
/usr/local/sbin/sshd
fi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

README Shocked

-Mike
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read one of those once. Wink
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do notice a funny bug with ssh see if anyone else has this problem. If I log in via ssh from my linux desktop [xterm] and I resize the window the ssh session locks up. If I do the same thing via telnet it is fine.

-Mike
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I just tried this from my Solaris box & connected to all 4 different systems. I didn't have this problem. I'll try l8r from my Linux box. I've never had that problem before.
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be something in my set up or even something do to it be a Virtual machine I'll try it later on the TC Slab and see if I can reproduce it. I did try to login as root and me [different shells, and I also set my TERM to vt102] and saw the same issue so something is funny in the mix for sure.

I also tried it from a xterm on the linux host and I started up my Sparc 20 [Solaris 9] and had the same problem.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: