NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Daydream Box
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtnicol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Daydream Box Reply with quote

I have one of these, but no manual. Does anyone have a manual and/or advice on setting one of these things up?
brams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just got one from Andreas, mine is complete. I can scan it for you in a few weeks when I'm back home and email it to you (I'm working away) in May.

Send me a PM to remind me round about the back end of April

Cheers
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
Hi

I just got one from Andreas, mine is complete. I can scan it for you in a few weeks when I'm back home and email it to you (I'm working away) in May.

Send me a PM to remind me round about the back end of April

Cheers

Brams, have a look at the german version, this looks like a newer one. Screenshots or the handling under NS2.x are better descriped.
brams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to set this up?, I played about with the one I got of Andreas and it's pretty easy to get up and running, you got the install floppies?
gtnicol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I got it working.
korneluk

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Can you post pictures? Reply with quote

I've never seems one of these beasties and was wondering how hard it would be to build one if the Mac LC ROMs were available.

-- josť k.
brams

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took mine apart with the view that I was going to replace the ROM's with some Quadra ones, the ROM's don't appear to be socketed and in view of the age of this thing I was reluctant to start on it with a soldering iron.

There is also a PCB, a couple of transistors and what appears to be a VRM as it gets hot (I burnt myself on it!). There is also an ASIC in there IIRC it says QUIX computerware, that would be the hardest part of copying one of these.

Pictures of it are here though I don't have any screen shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21699268@N00/96411136/in/set-1781863/

I got the photo of eBay on which I won the auction, so due credit goes to Andreas for the photo of it.

I'll take some screen shots of it when I get a bit more time

brams
brams

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Daydream & OPENSTEP 4.2 Reply with quote

I was running the Daydream on my Cube with NS 3.3 installed, I've since put OS 4.2 on the Cube with 2 x 4gb partitions. I'm running NEXTSTEP 3.3 on my Slab which has 2 x 2gb partitions.

Daydream on the Cube does not work, it boots and does not find an image even if I create one and boot of the Emergency floppy. Daydream works fine on the Slab, I dumped the Slab's HD onto a Sun 611 ext HD I have and booted the Cube of that and Daydream works OK on the Cube running 3.3 of the Sun 611.

So, does anybody know wh Daydream does not work on the Cube running OS 4.2. is it just that Daydream does not work under OPENSTEP or is it somthing to do with the larger partitions on the Cube?

Anybody any idea?

Thanks
brams
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Daydream & OPENSTEP 4.2 Reply with quote

brams wrote:

Daydream on the Cube does not work, it boots and does not find an image even if I create one and boot of the Emergency floppy.

Daydream NEEDS a hardrive with partitions, wich are created by builddisk. Test this with an external case, put in some straight 1 or 2 GB harddisk and copy the images to this disk. DD will found your "drives".
I use also this solution, since my Cube with NS33 doesn't allow DD to boot from my internal 9 GB drive. So i have to power one an external case each time i run DD.

Remember, DD replaces the kernel of your NeXT.

regards, Andreas
brams

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Daydream & OPENSTEP 4.2 Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
Daydream NEEDS a hardrive with partitions, wich are created by builddisk. Test this with an external case, put in some straight 1 or 2 GB harddisk and copy the images to this disk. DD will found your "drives".
I use also this solution, since my Cube with NS33 doesn't allow DD to boot from my internal 9 GB drive. So i have to power one an external case each time i run DD.

Remember, DD replaces the kernel of your NeXT.

regards, Andreas

Thanks for your help Andreas, can you confirm if you ever had Daydream working under OS 4.2?

I'm going to experiment now with partitions, Build Disk does not seem work with my HD's though, I had to make Disktabs and tend to install on the Sun 611 and dump & restore onto the disk after I've partitioned it.
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Daydream & OPENSTEP 4.2 Reply with quote

brams wrote:

Thanks for your help Andreas, can you confirm if you ever had Daydream working under OS 4.2?

No, i don't have tested that yet, but:
Quote:

I'm going to experiment now with partitions, Build Disk does not seem work with my HD's though, I had to make Disktabs

daydream doesn't work with disktab created harddrives. Again, search for a 1 Gig drive and test, i'm shure DD will work with OS42.
korneluk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I would like to buy/borrow a working Daydream ROM box with the corresponding software so that I can trace the circuit, draw a schematic, lay out a PCB, and build more of these prized emulators. This is a fairly small PCB, so cost should not be an issue.

You can either PM me or post your replies here.

-- josť k.
korneluk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
Well I took mine apart... There is also a PCB, a couple of transistors and what appears to be a VRM as it gets hot (I burnt myself on it!)...
brams

You are correct. Since the DSP port only provides +/- 12 volts, the Daydream box needs a voltage regulator to step the voltage down to 5 volts for the ROMs.

BTW, I would like a copy of the manual when you get a chance. Please PM me.

-- josť k.
Computolio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it- why not just hack the emulator to load the ROMs in software?
helf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computolio wrote:
I don't get it- why not just hack the emulator to load the ROMs in software?

Where's the fun in that? Wink
Also, 'hacking' the emulator to load the ROMs from software is probably pretty darn involved and a lot harder than you'd think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: