NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Samsung 941BW LCD Monitor with non-ADB turboslab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dopey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Samsung 941BW LCD Monitor with non-ADB turboslab Reply with quote

I've had this turbo slab for years that I haven't been using. Considered selling it on eBay a couple of weeks ago but couldn't bring myself to do it, so instead I picked up a 13w3 to vga adapter from monoprice.com and a Samsung 941bw (onsale at best buy for 199) and set it up along side my PowerPC G4 Mac Mini. A little old technology and new technology side by side :)

The monitor works perfectly. Here are some images of it.

mgtremaine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to double check you got the 13w3 F -> HD15 M and then stuck a HD15 gender changers on it [ F -> F ]. Or did you find a 13w3 F to HD15 F?

-Mike
dopey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. got the gender changer. I found a local place that actually had unpinned out 13w3 F to VGA F adapters years and years ago, but local shop sorta went away years ago.
idylukewild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatís a great setup! Itís good to see that some of the Samsung LCDís play nice with Black Hardware.
jheis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that the Samsung SyncMaster works - at least with non-ADB. I think someone also posted positive results with the SyncMaster 204B.

I've got an ADB soundbox & I've been looking at the spec's for the 216BW which Costco carries for about $260.

It looks like it should work with both ADB and non-ADB.

Both the SyncMaster 941BW and 216BW are SOG
Horizontal scan rate is 30-81 khz
Vertical scan rate is 56-75 hz

Main difference between the 941BW and the 216BW seems to be screen size (19" vs 21.6"), Contrast ratio (500:1 vs 1000:1), Max resolution (1440 x 900 vs 1680 x 1050), and cosmetics. Don't know if the extra bells & whistles are worth the extra bucks...

I guess the only way to know for sure is buy one and give it a try. Might be some good deals after the holidays when Comp USA closes all its stores - unless the do a "clearance" like the Good Guys did - no deals there.

James
dopey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the 216BW at costco and decided against it. I really didn't want to spend that much money for the NeXT and unless you plan on hooking it up to a non-NeXT as well, 1680x1050 is overkill considering blackhardware is fixed frequency at 1152x864 or whatever it is Smile.

Even 1440x900 is overkill. But it looks good enough.

When the CompUSA stores closed in minnesota, the clearance deals were a joke. They jacked everything up to "MSRP" and then discounted them down slowly. It was pretty horribly priced and pretty pathetic.
jheis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize that Comp USA had already closed in some parts of the Country.

Sounds like Good Guys redux. Their "clearance" price was MSRP -10%. Lots of people there looking for good deal, but there were none to be had.

James
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jheis wrote:
Didn't realize that Comp USA had already closed in some parts of the Country.

Sounds like Good Guys redux. Their "clearance" price was MSRP -10%. Lots of people there looking for good deal, but there were none to be had.

James

When they closed the CompUSA stores around here a few months ago, there were few good deals. Most things worth relocating were pulled from the stores, and what was left was not very discounted. 10% off MSRP for a floor model system is not a good deal in my book. I was watching a nice G5 Mac system floor model with a 30in display, but they would not go below the posted 10% off. I found out later that someone finally bought it at 15% off, which is still too high for a "used" floor model system. By the time they got to the 35-50% range, they should have just put the stuff on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it. The only good deal I could see was on some PC cases and ironically for retail box copies of MS Vista and Office, some of which were 50% off. Still not worth it for MS Vista, at least from my view, but a good price by comparison.

Chef
ph

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried and had success the SyncMaster 216BW with ADB hardware?

jheis wrote:
Glad to hear that the Samsung SyncMaster works - at least with non-ADB. I think someone also posted positive results with the SyncMaster 204B.

I've got an ADB soundbox & I've been looking at the spec's for the 216BW which Costco carries for about $260.

It looks like it should work with both ADB and non-ADB.

Both the SyncMaster 941BW and 216BW are SOG
Horizontal scan rate is 30-81 khz
Vertical scan rate is 56-75 hz

Main difference between the 941BW and the 216BW seems to be screen size (19" vs 21.6"), Contrast ratio (500:1 vs 1000:1), Max resolution (1440 x 900 vs 1680 x 1050), and cosmetics. Don't know if the extra bells & whistles are worth the extra bucks...

I guess the only way to know for sure is buy one and give it a try. Might be some good deals after the holidays when Comp USA closes all its stores - unless the do a "clearance" like the Good Guys did - no deals there.

James
helf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ph, my NeXT is ADB and I plan on getting a SyncMaster 216BW in a few weeks. Been wanting an LCD for my NeXT pretty badly and they are pretty cheap on eBay right now ($189 or so). I'll let you know how well it works out.
jheis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can report that the SyncMaster 2032NW works with ADB stuff.

James
helf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jheis: Can you take a pic of it? Smile
gctwnl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: What is the monitor with max pixels that still works with ND Reply with quote

Is there a recent overview of what works? I am looking for a monitor that can both give ma a lot of pixels (e.g. 1600x1200 or better) when I connect my Mac via DVI-D buth which can also display ND-output via the VGA (1120x832, @68Hz, Sync On Green)

I would love to know which monitor with the max pixels would still be able to display the ND output.

I can confirm that LaCie Photon20Vision (older monitor, nice colours, slow response time of 25ms, 1600x1200) works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: