NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How do you use and or display your vintage systems and tech.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: How do you use and or display your vintage systems and tech. Reply with quote

Not to hijack pergamon's thread anymore than I have already, I figured I would start one myself. We have seen how some here, like Jenne for example, have stuff displayed but I was curious to hear/see how others have done it.

Chef
pergamon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you use and or display your vintage systems and t Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Not to hijack pergamon's thread anymore than I have already, I figured I would start one myself. We have seen how some here, like Jenne for example, have stuff displayed but I was curious to hear/see how others have done it.

When I get the pictures up you'll see, but I'm really just using cheap veneered bookcases for the bound printed materials. Then wire shelves with cardboard on the shelves for the hardware and systems. Also tons of boxes of different sizes for accessories, cables, software boxes, and misc printed materials.

It looks decent, and was also cheap.

At the moment, at least, I'm less concerned with presentation and more worried about making sure all the weight in that room doesn't collapse the floor into the dining room below ;)

Thanks for starting this thread - it will be good to hear. Something I might piggyback onto your thread Wink or start another one: anyone have any resources for info on cleaning, restoration, and conservation of computer hardware, software, and documentation? I found some limited discussion of this on the computer history museum website I think, but that was more for *really* old stuff.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you use and or display your vintage systems and t Reply with quote

pergamon wrote:
At the moment, at least, I'm less concerned with presentation and more worried about making sure all the weight in that room doesn't collapse the floor into the dining room below Wink

Weight is a concern of mine as well, but with the walls not the floor in my old house not being able to support it. My other option is the unfinished corner of the basement, but I really hate having to deal with the hassle of concrete anchors for shelves. I have some black wire "bread racks" with adjustable shelves currently to hold some of it, but I would like something nicer than that, especially if I expand into the finished area since it has to pass "the wife test". Wink

Chef
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have to change my setup. So many Macs and other hardware need to find a place so I will have to build some new storage room.

4 machines (G3, 9600, 8500 and 8100, all upgraded) are going to be connected to an USB KVM switch to spare the room for one keyboard and a single TFT display, the Newtons, which are going to be complete coming Monday will be hung up the wall along with the Cobalt Qubes. My very favorite machines (Pippin, NeXTcube, G4 Cube, TAM) will find a place in a glass vitrine.
Just two days ago I got myself one of the first Xserves. This one will get connected to one of my Miro displays as long as these can get along with two machines at the same time. This Xserve is going to be my server for all the neat stuff, accompanied by the G3 B&W and the Quicksilver and of course the G5.
When all this is finished I will take some shots with the fisheye Nikon, maybe I can make a QuickTime VR movie of it to post it here ;-)

About cleaning old (very old...) hardware:

Most of the time Im just using compressed air, for mainboards with corroded parts I sometimes solder these parts off, clean them in mild detergent and solder them back but this happens not very often...

J

P.S.: by the way: I was VERY lucky to get some games for the Pippin. Anybody in here remembering Marathon for the Mac? Well, playing it on a Pippin is just fun!

P.P.S.: walls in Switzerland can carry huge weights. Because of World War II the Swiss enforced their population to build very stable houses. But it takes heavy tools to get some screws into them Sad
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the actual setup. As You can see there is lots of stuff "buried" underneath the major display setup. Well, all this has to change...

J
slomacuser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Surprised
it68000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice setup!
nice fisheye photo!
did you use the nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 DX ?
Jenne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the right Fisheye. I love that lense along with my D200, there is no compareable one to this right now.

J
it68000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see it is a very nice lens. I'm planning to get it along with a D80.
At the moment I'm still in love with my Nikon film camera but it's time to do the move.
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My display technique? Camouflage as "laboratory equipment" to limit snickers, sarcastic comments, and threats from wife (whom, by the way, I adore).
stevebez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
4 machines (G3, 9600, 8500 and 8100, all upgraded) are going to be connected to an USB KVM switch to spare the room for one keyboard and a single TFT display, ....

The 8100 is a NUBUS machine. How are you going to hook up USB to it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: