NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New NeXT RISC Workstation photos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: New NeXT RISC Workstation photos Reply with quote

Special thanks go out to Tom LaFleur for sending in pictures of his NeXT RISC Workstation prototype.

(click to enlarge)

Edit 2/11/2008: Tom sent in these additional pictures shown below.

Last edited by Nitro on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
pergamon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for sharing these!

Does anyone know what parts number the motherboard and case are? Are there any pictures of the bottom of the case, or closeups of the area around the NeXT logo on the motherboard?
krfkeith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work?
Computolio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see absolutely zero chips on that board. You tell me.
ericj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computolio wrote:
I see absolutely zero chips on that board. You tell me.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed when I noticed that on the older pictures a while ago. Either way, nothing is publicly available that can run on it (there was an internal version of NS 3.0 for it).

Eric
cuby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whow, looks like a lot of custom chips were used in the NRW's design. What a shame there is no working machine around. Wasn't there some guy who had tech docs on the NRW?
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, and thanks to the provider and poster for sharing them.

A slab with a little extra bit added on the bottom, and the ridges shifted down. I especially like the cutout/overhang created in the front. No more scratching up the logo by pushing the keyboard into it on ones desk.

Optical digital audio in and out connectors on the side...

Too bad it never had a chance to strut its stuff.

Chef
krfkeith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I may be able to contact someone who worked at NeXT maybe we can dig up some more info. If anyone were to clone a NeXT system, this would be it. Now there were two proposed versions. One used a Moto 88000. The other used PowerPC. If they had an internal version of NS for it, then more likely than not, there was a working version.

*Pulls out detective hat and maginifying glass*
rice0067

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: NRW Reply with quote

What I find interesting in these pictures is the inclusion of some new technology as well as some older legacy parts that even in the mid 90's was losing favor.
I'm talking about the optical audio in and out, and the bnc ethernet.
I guess floppies were still the thing then too. I'm a little surprised that in this revision they weren't thinking about an internal CD-ROM. Also interesting is the lack of a DSP port, but as seen from the discussion on the multiple DSP cube board, the PPC chips were rapidly making a dedicated DSP chip obsolete. Looking at the memory slots it looks like it may have been possible to max out at least with 256meg ram.. at time of sale, and then 512 when the 64mb chips came out. (would be interesting to know if the 128 mb 72pin chips would even fit space- wise).

and lastly.. I do like that the power supply had an extra power out port for plugging in the monitor... I always thought that was a great feature on some of the macs of the time.

I heard that at least one of these was running... would have been cool to see it.
pergamon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NRW Reply with quote

rice0067 wrote:
What I find interesting in these pictures is the inclusion of some new technology as well as some older legacy parts that even in the mid 90's was losing favor.
I'm talking about the optical audio in and out, and the bnc ethernet.
I guess floppies were still the thing then too. I'm a little surprised that in this revision they weren't thinking about an internal CD-ROM. Also interesting is the lack of a DSP port, but as seen from the discussion on the multiple DSP cube board, the PPC chips were rapidly making a dedicated DSP chip obsolete. Looking at the memory slots it looks like it may have been possible to max out at least with 256meg ram.. at time of sale, and then 512 when the 64mb chips came out. (would be interesting to know if the 128 mb 72pin chips would even fit space- wise).

and lastly.. I do like that the power supply had an extra power out port for plugging in the monitor... I always thought that was a great feature on some of the macs of the time.

I heard that at least one of these was running... would have been cool to see it.

Actually the strangest thing I think is the ISDN port. Not many machines had that. I've got a Sun Sparc Voyager that has ISDN built-in, and that's the only other machine I've ever heard of that had it built-in or standard.

While BNC was certainly on the way out, I don't think it would have been considered obsolete yet in the very early 90s.

Optical audio in/out is still pretty common.

I hadn't noticed the lack of DSP port. The DSP port was always an interesting addition to me. I always suspected that's where Be got the idea for the GeekPort on the BeBox. Incidentally, I think the BeBoxes have a DSP in them as well. I know the Hobbit prototypes did, and I'm pretty sure the PPC based production ones did too. I'll have to crack one open when I get home and check.
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NRW Reply with quote

pergamon wrote:

Actually the strangest thing I think is the ISDN port. Not many machines had that. I've got a Sun Sparc Voyager that has ISDN built-in, and that's the only other machine I've ever heard of that had it built-in or standard.

If memory serves, didn't the SGI Indys (the pizzabox blue ones) come with an ISDN port, along with an AUI and 10baseT connectors. It was the port next to the ethernet jack that had the red sticker to keep you from plugging stuff in accidentally. Will have to look when I get home, but that is what I remember.

Chef
pergamon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NRW Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
pergamon wrote:

If memory serves, didn't the SGI Indys (the pizzabox blue ones) come with an ISDN port, along with an AUI and 10baseT connectors. It was the port next to the ethernet jack that had the red sticker to keep you from plugging stuff in accidentally. Will have to look when I get home, but that is what I remember.

Chef

Indeed, you are correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Indy

I guess I never paid much attention to the ports on the Indys. Mine's in storage an hour away right now Wink
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NRW Reply with quote

pergamon wrote:
Indeed, you are correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Indy

Every once in a while the stars and planets align, the old synapses in my brain decide to actually fire correctly, and out comes another piece of basically useless trivia. Very Happy

Chef
zaphodgjd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once heard a story from a friend of mine that worked at NeXT that the SGI Indy owed a LOT of it's heritage to this never manufactured machine.

No idea if it was true or not, just second hand, but interesting.

Graeme.
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, it does have some similar connections.
The first thing that looks identical is the location of the floppy drive, the second being the rear connections though they are not the exact same.

Even the scsi and PSU placement look the same

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: