NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Prototype? Next BW Monitor Shades -Misc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonFC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Well... still working my way through Reply with quote

Allright, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth yet, just digged in deeper.. found about 15 more MO's and related items- including a regular prod color station. I need to actually look at the MOs and such to see what's on them. Which in turn means I have to fully unearth a cube, reset the root pw and see what's happening.

I'm hoping to make some posts this weekend...

--J
pentium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross your fingers and hope the MO drive still works.
You better test it by putting a disk in that does not look important just in case the drive decides to eat a disk.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
pentium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still there?
We don't want to lose contact with you.
You have some seriously interesting stuff there.

pentium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello?
We're still interested!
You have stuff we don't want to see lost.

I'm still very interested in purchasing all that software (and all your MO media) from you as well.

mdriftmeyer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Forging through the stuff... Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
JasonFC wrote:
Alright started going through some of the software - there are quite a few 'interesting apps' here. Wondering if anyone from NeXT on the board?

Found one app I'm sure they would remember - from a Halloween party invite. As it starts there are a bunch of line dancing skeletons to a MC Hammer ditty. Then a map pops up with the sketons leading to the location. Pretty cool. I'm guessing early 90's here...

Looks like someone Wink really liked Star Wars there..

-J

These scream "Pop me in and read me" Laughing
It sounds like the NeXT offices were pretty sane. I don't even want to think about what the cubicles were like.

Work at NeXT was very plush. Every thing was Hermann Miller Furniture.

Italian Leather couches that are at Apple/PIXAR were at NeXT.

The entire two buildings were a dream to work in.

The HVAC system cost him around $3-$4 million at the time and one of it's many benefits besides keeping labs pristinely cool and the cubicles just cool enough to keep you from dozing off, was the filtration system was state of the art.

If your co-worker [I had one] thought it was cool to take their socks off you couldn't smell his feet, even just one cubicle removed.

The same for food. You had to be in someone's cubicle to know what the hell they were eating.

On the flipside, at Cupertino you could smell their BO across the room and the steamed eggs from the central cafe when they walked through the door, anywhere in the room.

The entire NeXT experience was 5 star.

Apple Engineers durin the merger were stunned, annoyed and hopeful that the plush amenities in the Kitchen would have similar changes at Apple.

I truly am glad the merger happened yet saddened that it has taken nearly ten years to even get to a point where we might be starting where we wanted Apple to go with NeXT technologies and style.

YES FOLKS: NeXT Style most certainly trumped Apple style.
nfjanette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Forging through the stuff... Reply with quote

mdriftmeyer wrote:

YES FOLKS: NeXT Style most certainly trumped Apple style.

The stylish, well-stocked (free) bar didn't hurt either, eh? I once had the pleasure of a beer and a conversation with Rich Page and some other NeXT folks in that setting.

BTW, if the color display shown is one of the early units, it may be a Sony 16" yes, 16" - not 17") unit. We saw one of the those units "on tour" with a development ND board (with engineering change-order wires sticking out everywhere) running in an early model cube.
pentium

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth to JasonFC.

I'm still VERY interested in all your NeXT software, MO cartridges and documentation.

pentium

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we lost Jason. Crying or Very sad

JasonFC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Hello - again! Reply with quote

All right - All right !- I admit it I've been bad on the list. Shortly after my last post things like work, travel (for work, just got back yesterday) and year end items took precedence. (That's how my basement ended up in this mess in the first place, from last year) Gotta' love entropy.

Anyway, yes I would like to make some room downstairs and yes, I would like to find good homes for the cubes / items to live. Ideally I'd like to find a museum or similar for these, but I know that isn't always possible - and for some of this, probably not even feasible. I'm also trying to find a reasonable value - I need more research in that area - I'm not looking to make a lot off of these- its just the items are very interesting historically - hence the thoughts of someplace where they could be shown or used for that purpose.

I haven't had a whole lot of time since the last post but after a little more looking - I it appears I MAY have an old hd from one of NeXT's mail servers (very unsure here - old SCSI maxtor drive) and I may have found Steve's (electronic items) presentation from a NeXT Expo. I have found some documentation from procuring (or NeXT's trying to) a (new?) building location, with a building photo..

thank Pentium for sending the email and getting me back here - (and continuing through this) - my additional motivation: I have to get this cleaned up before I find a serious girlfirend!

- Jason
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about me invading your inbox but I hate it when people show off cool stuff and then just vanish. It's a bit of a pet peeve.
As for a museum and archive, Nitro, me and the other members are always willing to archive any kind of NeXT materials and for the hardware it's the exact same thing but don't forget that you could just set up a display case at your facility of employment Wink . I also understand why you don't want to distribute these materials everywhere for rock bottom prices and that is totally fine but it is still highly recommended that anything that you have be backed up as soon as possible.

krfkeith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonFC,
I am still looking for my first NeXTcube. I am planning on eventually donating my stuff to a museum or starting my own (if the funds arrive Laughing ). Just know that it would be going to a good home!
JasonFC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Your right of course.. Reply with quote

No probs on the email - kudos for the effort on finding ;)

Yes -
this stuff should be backed up on something - when I lost a hard disk drive that had some really good stuff on it back in '97 or so, that was the start of the mothball program - to stop using before anything else breaks - I then started working with the white hardware..

-ahh memories..

-- J
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ krfkeith:
Don't forget that you can delete multiple posts. I do it all the time. Razz

@ JasonFC:
Well if you really don't want to ship the stuff to some random corner of the earth, don't forget that Nitro lives in Strasburg and if all this NeXT gear is in Colorado (you hinted to it all being there, right?) he is one of the most local members (that I know of) and he might be able to help you with a backup.
Still, it would be a crime if this stuff was accidentally thrown away and I'm willing to help you out with cleaning your basement.
When it comes to archiving software, I always have room.

Last edited by pentium on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
gtnicol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly be interested in backing up/buying and MO media. I have a couple of working drives... I've been hammering on one all week and it's still going strong. Also, any older HDDs...
krfkeith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need an MO drive and a cube...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: