NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
This could be it you guys! My first cube!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
un

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, hopefully the cube will arrive in better condition.
pentium

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey do you think there is any way I can at least make that scratch less noticeable?

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
un

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the monitor still work after that?

Can it be repaired like they fix dings in a windscreen? (crazy idea)
pentium

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this monitor still works. It did when it was shipped and it had a bright screen. The cube will arrive either tomorrow or Thursday.

Jenne

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, time to take part in the longest thread in this forum Wink

I have two ways to nearly eliminate scratches like these. First one is called "Turtle Wax". Turtle Wax is an alcohol based liquid which contains some sort of water absorbing substance. This product is my favorite when I'm driving motorcycle: rubbing the helmet's visor and my BMW's windscreen with that liquid nearly eliminates small scratches. It may be called different in the US or UK but there are lots of similar products around. Note: this is for scratches that are not going too deep!
The second one is -> very clear <- silicon for bathing room mounts or window / glass constructions. Applying this to a deeper scratch does not vanish these scratches but it helps it at least a bit. Note: silicon tends to change color after some years.

Anyway: it's sad what happened to Your display (hoping the cube will arrive in better condition then!). I noticed quite a lot UPS, FedEx or DHL workers handling the loads of their lorries very rude. Those companies do not seem to care very much about their goods...

J
pentium

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, the scratch seems to have a silverish appearance.
Since the scratch is not too deep (I can barely feel it) I'll try turtle wax first. I used to have some but it looks like I'll have to go find some more.

kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The delivery guy should be tar'ed & feathered! Razz One of biggest things I worry about when shipping old systems is how they treat the boxes. One time I purchased an old Performa 580 off Ebay. That thing got beat up so bad in shipping, the guy I purchased if from ended up having to send me 2 more before I got one that still worked & wasn't cracked/destroyed. Luckily it was covered under insurance. Since my Mono monitor died, I still have it. If you don't get it covered by insurance, I could probably take the guts out the shell, & and let you have it for the cost of shipping when you get back from your trip. I don't think it'd cost that much to ship any empty monitor shell. Smile Let me know if you're interested.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pentium

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to yell at them for insurance today. Wait, I do have a second monitor case back in Ann Arbor. Maybe I could use the insurance money to ship it? The tube is shot but the case is in better shape.

pentium

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with some car polish and my dremel with a felt buffer and after about ten minuets the scratch was nearly gone and all that was left was the deeper stuff that would take forever to remove but the scratch is so light now I doubt I will even notice it.

The key thing is does the monitor still work?

pentium

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the cube is not here yet but this thread is about to get really heavy on photos. Wink

dravier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a little inside advice if you plan to deal with FedEx... DO NOT talk with a Customer Service Rep. Asked to be immediately transfered to a C.A.T. member (Customer Advocacy Team). I've work for FedEx for about six years and deal with this kind of thing often. None the less, Cust Reps are grabbed off the street, given a script and paid bare min, CAT are annoying, but a bit more diligent.

As far as FedEx, UPS and DHL not being very nice about packages... unfortunately you're correct. I work at a medium facility and we get about 10 to 12,000 packages in every morning. You quickly forget that people's prized stuff is in there... it sucks, but that's the reality.

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
helf

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I use USPS for *everything*. I NEVER have issues with them. Everything I've ever mailed to anyone has gotten there in one piece Smile

well, not sending it to London. USPS turns into Parcel Force, which BLOWS. I've had two packages I've sent to a friend *lost* by them.
Thrax

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
Thats why I use USPS for *everything*. I NEVER have issues with them. Everything I've ever mailed to anyone has gotten there in one piece Smile

well, not sending it to London. USPS turns into Parcel Force, which BLOWS. I've had two packages I've sent to a friend *lost* by them.

Same here, when i order things from the States to Canada I have WAY better luck with USPS. Not only is it cheaper but I only get the custom/inspection fees if the package ACTUALLY got inspected. Those corporate guys charge no matter what and then through in some "mystery fees" as Pentium so eloquently put it on top of that.

Pentium: Your almost there! only one more box to go!
pentium

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years...
Two long stressful and tiring years have finally come to an end......

Tada!

Well it's got a few chips here and there (nitro, did you ever get to see if that paint you had mixed works?) but it arrived in one piece. The following photos were taken after I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the system.

I also got off to a false start.
Because of my short monitor cable I decided to move the board one slot over.
When I turned the system on I heard the fan as well as the really dead drive but nothing on the monitor. After a moment of panic I remembered that you can't just but the board in any slot so I moved it back to it's original slot and tried again. This time the monitor flickered to life however along with the ripple that it has when it's first warming up, the top of the screen seemed be be sagging downwards. That could be either because I didn't properly reinstall the magnet that got dislodged or something else is loose.
I also found out that the system was filled with a lonely 16Mb of ram so it looks like I'll have to dig through my overfilled bags of ram and see if I can come up with sixteen 4Mb simms.

un

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting your Cube together at last!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: