NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Rewiring Apple Lisa Keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeXT_Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Rewiring Apple Lisa Keyboard Reply with quote

Does anybody know if it is possible to rewire or configure an old Apple Lisa keyboard to a PS2 or USB port? I'm would like to keep the stock look of the original keyboard but use it on a newer computer. Thanks!
cuby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend rewiring the keyboard - Lisa keyboards are relatively rare (I know someone rewired a NeXT non-ADB keyboard to work on a USB keyboard controller). On some of the Lisa sites, there are firmware ROM listings for the Lisa which also contain information about keyboard initialization and test - so perhaps it would be easier to interface the keyboard using a standard microcontroller (e.g., an Atmel AVR) to PS/2 or USB.
brams

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh!

Would it not be better to keep a Lisa keyboard functioning as such in case somebody out there needs one?. IMHO it be such a shame to to convert it and possibly kill it in the process.

These old computers need all the help they can get if we want to show them in working condition to our kids. Crying or Very sad
dravier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing much about the connectors involved, but would it be possible to make a custom adapter? I say this because I agree that old equipment like this should be saved whenever possible (and the fact that I would love to own a Lisa at some point). It would be entertaining to sport at classic keyboard on a system... but I would hesitate to do so at the cost of an operable vintage keyboard like that. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
NeXT_Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies. Well, I want a Lisa someday so maybe I'll just leave it alone and find an adapter or something. It has a unique connector that looks like a stereo plug. Maybe I'll find something online. I took it all apart and cleaned it so that was pretty neat. I'm tempted to paint the case but then the keys will look bad... oh well.
Calhoun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this thread while trying to figure out how to use my NeXT keyboard (I think it's non-ADB - it came with a NeXTstation Color) with my current Mac powerbook. Anyone know how this might be possible?

Thanks,
Matt
Calhoun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, alternatively, has anyone here successfully used an ADB-to-USB adapter to use a NeXT ADB keyboard with a present-day Mac?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: