NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
kb7sqi.com off line maybe for good
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: kb7sqi.com off line maybe for good Reply with quote

Hi all,
It really hard for me to say this, but after having my site up for almost 10 years now, it's now off line as of a few minutes ago. Why? Well, the reason is simple. I've tried to do my small part in keeping this small community alive. I've always enjoyed everything about this community. There's a alot of great people here & on our dwindling newsgroups. I've always enjoyed trying to get new packages to work, etc. But for some reason, some one has decided to ruin this for everyone, including me. Someone who's had access to both the sftp server and the webserver has been having fun trying to hack the web server. Going to the great length of trying to lock up the Sparc 5 running OPENSTEP 4.2. They haven't just tried it once, but for the last two nights. I'm willing to forgive the first time, but not the second time. So, it's taken care of for now. Now, in saying that, I'm not saying that I'm done working on stuff for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP, but packages won't be available on on my server any longer. If someone is willing to host the packages, respond here or drop me an email. I'll be happy to upload or create a dvd image of the server archives. Sorry, but my time is limited and I'm not going to play games w/ some wanna-be script kiddie. If you're curious how I know it was someone from here, it's simple. I log all the traffic & activities going to my sites and part of the reason I asked people to ask me for the logins. If you're willing to admit it here, I'll think about allowing access again. Hope everyone is doing well. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gtnicol

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to host the packages. I have a bunch of stuff I've been meaning to put online anyway...
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtnicol wrote:
I'm willing to host the packages. I have a bunch of stuff I've been meaning to put online anyway...

Hi gtnicol,
Thanks for the offer. As I said, I really hate blocking access to the site. The packages/archives have always been popular. Let me know if you'd like me to ftp/sftp them somewhere or if you'd live a dvd. After I cool off/the person is willing to admit to it, I might open the ports again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pentium

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised
This is terrible!
Are you positive you will never come back online?

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the size I would offer some hosting capabilities, too.

Anyway, I will never understand why someone has "fun" out of hacking other's servers as long as these are non-commercial and private.
Understanding this would mean to understand human diversity in general and in detail...

Nevertheless: thanks for hosting Your files up until now!

J
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with a hacker. It's discouraging to put so much hard work into helping others only to have it ruined by someone with too much spare time on their hands.

We would be happy to host your packages here. Let me know how I can help.

Thanks,
pentium

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with a hacker. It's discouraging to put so much hard work into helping others only to have it ruined by someone with too much spare time on their hands.

We would be happy to host your packages here. Let me know how I can help.

Thanks,

Nitro, um, how much bandwidth do you have?

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
helf

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god, what the hell is wrong with people? I've seen several websites/repositories getting killed by idiots trying to "hack" them. One of my old websites had that happen to it. Pisses me off. Sad

Thanks for the site, kb7sqi!
it68000

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity Sad

No words for this guy.
Hope you can change your mind and be back online.
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Typical, really sorry to hear about it. If Nitro can pull the packages to mirror that would be good [I have a partial mirror from a few months ago]. The other goodies not so much as the packages are the most important thing at this point. [Perhaps Nitro can give you any upload directory for new packages.]

-Mike
pitz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about what happened to your site. For such a small community such as ours, it's saddening to hear why anyone would have gone to the trouble of hacking a site. kb7sqi has always been generous in providing access if you just ask.

A big thank you for having the site up for as long as it was. The packages you create have been what keep reminding me that NeXT software can still be developed at this day and age.
idylukewild

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi

I, too, am angered to hear somebody from our community has been malicious toward your site! I thank you for offering it to us.

Luke
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: hax... Reply with quote

I feel your pain, I too have been pushed 'offline' for a while. I was getting gigabytes of spam, not to mention the constant hack attacks...

It does get old.

It's too bad that setting something up like Anonet would be 'too much work' for a next only network...

lol, or would it?
un

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That utterly sucks, do you have any idea who it was? Sad
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Well, it's Monday and I've cooled off some & spent some time looking thru some more logs on my syslogd server. As of right now, port 80 is back open. I've let the 1 person from the forums know the problems he was causing along w/ some script kiddie in Taiwan. Thanks for all replies. I really don't like blocking access to the servers. I know people like using the packages & like the sftp server. But, if this happens again, the site will stay down permanently. Nitro/gnicol I'd be happy to ftp the packages to ya or make a dvd image. Either way is fine w/ me if you'd like a back up of the archives. And just FYI, if you're using my OpenSSH-3.6.1p2 package, it's been updated over the weekend. With all the latest talk on the net w/ the ssl flaws found in Debian/Ubuntu, I took the time to investigate some more patches for OpenSSH-3.6.1p2. The package is in the usual place. And I also spent sometime setting up old school UUCP via SSH w/ www.uucpssh.org this weekend. I've had it working on linux/solaris for a while. I took the time to set it up on OPENSTEP 4.2. Works really well w/ postfix & even using NeXTMail. Cool This kind of setup works really well when using a laptop on the go and you'd like to get email for a personal domain. Wink If you google uucp ssh, you'll find several references. Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: