NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sun xVM Virtual BOX and NeXTSTEP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neozeed

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Sun xVM Virtual BOX and NeXTSTEP! Reply with quote

A friend of mine just pointed me towards this thing, http://virtualbox.org/ apparently SUN just bought it out, and now it's free!

It runs on Windows (32/64bit) Linux (32/64) Solaris 10 (32/64 intel) and OS X (intel).

While it is based on Qemu, the good news is that it's PS/2 mouse support is 100%!

In addition it emulates the AMD PCNet II/III cards so networking works just fine! You’ll want this:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/MultiCountry/Enterprise/nextstep/drivers/beta/AMDPCnet32.pkg.compressed

So I installed NeXTSTEP 3.3 onto it, and the good news is that it runs. You need the ‘beta’ driver for the AMD nic, but it seems to work just fine. I’m using it’s NAT setup which follows the Qemu SLIRP parameters (10.0.2.15/255.255.255.0 10.0.2.2 gateway & 10.0.2.3 DNS)

The only ‘bummer’ is that the video is a VGA/VESA only adapter. I know this will be fine for OPENSTEP users, however it’s a shame there is no CirrusLogic code in there…

Anyways I thought people would like to know there is yet another emulator that will run the intel flavor of NeXTSTEP!
helf

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, nice Smile
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, VirtualBox is a nice package. I've been running XP Pro under OpenSolaris. It rocks. Wink I have a OPENSTEP 4.2 vm running as well. The only thing that sucks about running it under OpenSolaris is it don't support sound yet. Sad So, I'm still using QEMU for now. They're making good headway in improving the software. I'm looking forward to the next release. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
Yeah, VirtualBox is a nice package. I've been running XP Pro under OpenSolaris. It rocks. Wink I have a OPENSTEP 4.2 vm running as well. The only thing that sucks about running it under OpenSolaris is it don't support sound yet. Sad So, I'm still using QEMU for now. They're making good headway in improving the software. I'm looking forward to the next release. Take care.

I've been using it to compile stuff too.... It's a shame my white box died lately.. and it's getting hard to find good old small IDE disks..

I'm just trying to reverse how the video works from UAE so I can adapt it to some other programs... Starting with this:
http://www.tomatarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glfrontier.html

I've managed to rip out all the OpenGL stuff, and build a 2d SDL version of it, and I'd love to have a NS version....
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd post an update to this particular VirtualBox thread. Wink I ended up working way too long yesterday & while I was stuck there, I decided to kill sometime by converting my QEMU disk images over to VirtualBox. As noted in other threads, VirtualBox-1.6.4 is really a great product for an even better price. Very Happy The only problem I can find w/ it is when you try to emulate a "NeXT" system. Sad Meaning, compared to VMWare Fusion/Workstation, Parallels, & even QEMU, it's quite a bit slower. I don't have problem when running a "supported" system. They're fast & run great. With VirtualBox-1.6.4, sound is working under Solaris 10/OpenSolaris now. I was curious how well that'd work compared to QEMU & Fusion. My test? Henry's StreamingRadio. I use it all the time on my real systems. Wink It don't work to well on my laptop. Under Fusion, it works flawlessly, even when doing other things like installing packages, etc. I've posted 3 more screenshots of the same virtual "NeXT" running on OpenSolars, MacOSX, & Winsucks in the screenshots/NXBench folder. All three were taken running on the same hardware & configured exactly the same way & using the same "disk" images. I think you'd find the results suprising, especially under MacOSX. Take care.
I did forget to note that running OPENSTEP under VirtualBox is easy to setup. You don't have to go chase down drivers like VMWare. The stock/beta drivers work. Like the VESA driver, PS/2 Mouse, SoundBlaster 16, etc. That's a huge plus for an initial setup. Smile You don't have to add patches like you do to QEMU, etc either. So, there are quite a few benefits to using VirtualBox. I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was being negative about it. I was just a little suprised how much slower it was.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick update on my conversion to VirtualBox from QEMU. I did some more fine tuning w/ my setup & got VirtualBox running OPENSTEP 4.2 quite a bit better than previously. It's alot quicker, but still slower than my QEMU setup under OpenSolaris, but I can live w/ that since I can use the use the same disk images under Solaris, Mac OSX, & Winsucks. That'll help save quite a bit of disk space. lol. Take care.
Noth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm reopening this topic as I just can't get the SVGA generic driver to work in VirtualBox (running gentoo) for my OPENSTEP vm. I've tried manually entering the settngs for resolution and refresh frequency but no go. I don't suppose that one of the cirrus logic drivers could be used as in QEMU?
tomaz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of VirtualBox are you running and on what O.S.? I'm trying VirtualBox 3.1.0 on Mac OS X.5.8/Intel and I encounter two problems: (i) it is excruciatingly slow, and (ii) it fails to load the EIDE driver - even if I manually specify the driver list when booting, it fails to recognize the EIDE driver on either the 4.2_Beta_Drivers_1.floppyimage or the 4.2_Driver_Disk.floppyimage disks, so fails during boot with a kernel panic ("cannot mount root").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaallen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else that I know is experiencing slow performance of Openstep in VB. It may be you have some issues while installing. I problem CD image or CD itself is one.

Second, for video, apply the Openstep User 4 patch, that has a vesa driver that will run just fine for openstep. Just install the 4 patch (you can get it in the archive or even at apples site) then go into config and add the vesa driver.

As for the EIDE driver, use ythe dual EIDE and ATAPI driver under virtual box.

Tomaz, I am testing 3.1.0 today. and will let you know what I get. Like I said before, I am using Snow Leopard though...
tomaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the CD image - the same CD image works fine under Parallels and VMware. Only under both of those I then get kernel traps after I've completed the installation and start using it.

The installation never gets as far as being able to install the Y2k Patch, it hangs well before unable to find the EIDE driver (the DualIDE of course).

I'm now trying the earlier versions of VB to see if it's 3.1.0 that's the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaallen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomaz wrote:
It's not the CD image - the same CD image works fine under Parallels and VMware. Only under both of those I then get kernel traps after I've completed the installation and start using it.

The installation never gets as far as being able to install the Y2k Patch, it hangs well before unable to find the EIDE driver (the DualIDE of course).

I'm now trying the earlier versions of VB to see if it's 3.1.0 that's the problem.

I am using and testing 3.1.0, and it is fine, even installed another 4.2 to be sure.

BTW, you pick the IDE vanilla driver for the hard drive during install, then the Dual IDE/ATAPI driver DURING install for the CD drive, not after the patch. Probably why your trapping out.
Openstep will figure out the rest after reboot... Thats all I did, no problems.
tomaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have successfully installed OpenStep 4.2 in VirtualBox 1.6.0. It ran a lot faster than 3.1.0, and it worked. It still seems slower than Parallels or VMware, though no longer vastly so. However, it seems more reliable (no kernel traps).

Your system must run faster than mine, because my install took a lot longer than yours.

I'll now try some higher version numbers see how far I can get with them.

Still puzzled why I can't get 3.1.0 to work, perhaps I used an incorrect setting, or maybe it's down to Leopard vs Snow Leopard (though I doubt the latter).

Last edited by tomaz on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
gtnicol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed OpenStep 4.2 + User Patch 4 in VirtualBox on Snow Leopard... not major issues though I had to boot the installer twice for the CDROM to be seen. Screen resolution all the way up to 1600x1200 at reasonable speeds.
Noth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that OpenStep4.2 User Patch 4 did the trick, I've now got glorious 24bit colour thanks to the VESA VBE 2.0 driver (and no gamma issues or blue tinted screen as I had with vmware server under gentoo linux). I'm running VirtualBox 3.1 under gentoo linux 10.0 with kernel 2.6.32 (yes, on the edge of things I know).
skaffloth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: OpenStep 4.2 Intel Reply with quote

I got interested to get OS 4.2 running on VirtualBox as people seems to have success, digging up my nextstep/openstep install media boxes but I can't find my openstep 4.2 OS, I got the package, manuals and registration card, but I can't find the disk. Is there anywhere I can get it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: