NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Ok, finally got 1.2 mac os x server
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadav35

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Ok, finally got 1.2 mac os x server Reply with quote

Ok, guys.. I finally got my hands on this. I am having trouble getting past the screen "ROOT DEVICE?" I have two drives in my Power Mac G4 500 Agp graphics based system. I formatted the drive to wholy make use of mac os x server 1.2. The directions stated for me to format the whole drive in OS 9(mac os x server 1.2 boot cd) as Mac OS Extended, or HFS+. Everything then keeps on going fine, until the system reboots and takes me to the main os x server screen. There, it stops with a:

ROOT DEVICE? and along with it or several options:
sd%d, hd%d, fd%d, en%d, tr%d?

Help!! how am I supposed to run this thing if I can't figure out how to get past ROOT DEVICE screen!?

Sad
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, finally got 1.2 mac os x server Reply with quote

Nadav35 wrote:
Ok, guys.. I finally got my hands on this. I am having trouble getting past the screen "ROOT DEVICE?" I have two drives in my Power Mac G4 500 Agp graphics based system. I formatted the drive to wholy make use of mac os x server 1.2. The directions stated for me to format the whole drive in OS 9(mac os x server 1.2 boot cd) as Mac OS Extended, or HFS+. Everything then keeps on going fine, until the system reboots and takes me to the main os x server screen. There, it stops with a:

Help!! how am I supposed to run this thing if I can't figure out how to get past ROOT DEVICE screen!?

Sad

It really should pick up the CD on reboot.... I'm guessing you still have the CD in the drive @ this point??

while I still have my media, sadly I don't own a powermac that can run OS X 1.0 (I bought it the day it came out... lol talk about sucker!)

as it's booting check the dmesg to make sure it's picking up your CDROM... I get the feeling that it isn't, or your disk is ejected...

Also check the disk, it's multisession with half being HFS and the other being UFS...
Nadav35

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, finally got 1.2 mac os x server Reply with quote

Hi neozeed,

Ok, below I am pasting the actual installation of how I did this up until the point it gives me a ROOT DEVICE error?

Maybe you can provide me some steps on how to try to get this resolved. Don't worry, I am still going to get your package Smile

Just that I want to try and get past that ROOT DEVICE error. Please if you can provide me step by step on how to prepare my system to run rhapsody 5.6(1.2). Lets see, if I tell you what I did maybe you can tell me where I went wrong.

Step one: I inserted the server 1.2 cd and turned on my machine.
step two: I held down the C key to boot the server cd - it came up as OS 9 booting up.
Step three: I have two physical hard drives: one macosx and the other macos9(I DID NOT BOOT UP FROM THE HARD DRIVE!)
step four: I went to prepare the disk as instructed, by formatting macosx(empty as of now) to a MAC OS EXTENDED partition. I didn't see HFS+, so I am assuming MAC OS Extended was correct)
step five: I then selected the icon on the boot cd: Install Mac OS X Server
step six: I chose the easy install and it then did something.. might have copied some boot parameters to the macosx partition..
step seven: it then came up with a block telling me to reboot my system...

END OF INITIAL SETUP...

MAC OS X SERVER:

Removed the cd from my computer's cd rom drive.
Then it booted off the hard drive "macosx"
got to the splash screen for MAC OS X server with a spinning beach ball saying: installing mac os x server

FINALLY, IT POPPED UP WITH A "ROOT DEVICE?" prompt along with several options: I forget the order of them, but here are the ones I can remember:

sd%d? hd%d? en%d? tr$d?

As to you noticing I had the cd in the DVD-ROM drive(this was from a PC I built, but it does work since it can boot), I don't believe I had the CD in the dvd-rom drive at the point of reboot. It just booted off the hard drive. Is there anyone who can tell me what I am doing wrong, and why this ROOT DEVICE error is coming up?
neozeed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the CD needs to be in there!

from what I can gather and recall about OSX 1.x is this on the install:

first you boot from the CD (holding down the c), use mac os 8 to partition, and format a partition (under 6 gig on old macs), then it'll install the boot loader, and the kernel into the partition. Then it'll have you reboot, it'll load the kernel from the hard disk, but take it's root from the CD.

Then from the CD it'll install all the rest.

the CD should have two sessions (or partitions or whatever) one is HFS, and the other is UFS... you can't see the UFS from the first boot on the CD... And I did want to make a backup of my 1.0 CD but I couldn't figure out how to do it.. sigh.
it68000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... And I did want to make a backup of my 1.0 CD but I couldn't figure out how to do it.. sigh.

Have you tried with CD copying program that work in RAW mode?
I used ISOEditor under Windows.
Not tried yet with Rhapsody CDs but it makes ISO images of CD unreadable by Windows (like NS ones).
It was free but now it has disappeared from the NET.
I will try to backup my Rhapsody CDs.
RacerX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets run down the usual install issues...
  • Rhapsody has to be installed on the master drive (not slave) drive of an ATA bus,
  • Rhapsody has to be installed within 1 GB of the top of the master drive,
  • If installed on a partition, it can't be further away from the top of the master drive than 1 GB and has to be either the first or second partition.
Are all those conditions satisfied?
neozeed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it68000 wrote:
Quote:
... And I did want to make a backup of my 1.0 CD but I couldn't figure out how to do it.. sigh.

Have you tried with CD copying program that work in RAW mode?
I used ISOEditor under Windows.
Not tried yet with Rhapsody CDs but it makes ISO images of CD unreadable by Windows (like NS ones).
It was free but now it has disappeared from the NET.
I will try to backup my Rhapsody CDs.

I used DD which is what I used to backup my NS CD's which worked pretty well... I'm just concerened as that I paid over $500 for OS X 1.0 server, and I'd really hate for the disk to break on me..
it68000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just tried to backup an original Rhapsody CD
I can say that ISOeditor worked for me to make a good copy of the MacOSX server original CD.
The copy and the original were tested with DiskUtility on a mac with Panther and they are exactly the same. four partition are present: two MAC OS stardard partitions, one small Apple_Rhapsody_Loader and one big Apple_Rhapsody_UFS.
neozeed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it68000 wrote:
Hi,
I have just tried to backup an original Rhapsody CD
I can say that ISOeditor worked for me to make a good copy of the MacOSX server original CD.
The copy and the original were tested with DiskUtility on a mac with Panther and they are exactly the same. four partition are present: two MAC OS stardard partitions, one small Apple_Rhapsody_Loader and one big Apple_Rhapsody_UFS.

Sounds good to me, then I 'll have to find this "isoeditor"... I'd hate to have that damed disk break or something!

I doubt apple would help with a replacement because of it's age.. Hell they didnt even offer a discount or anything for us 1.0 users for the 10.0 stuff.. I guess I should be happy about the "upgrade" disk for 1.2, even though you can't install it on any G4's it's just an update. Neutral
it68000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds good to me, then I 'll have to find this "isoeditor"... I'd hate to have that damed disk break or something!

In case, drop me a line.
Nadav35

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Bottom line... Reply with quote

Its not working!! I am really getting VERY VERY ANGRY about this.. I hate ROOT DEVICE?? Why isn't it installing? I only have one drive and its set to master.. the video card is a PCI 32MB video card. The G4 is a sawtooth 500 with bootrom 4.2.8f1. I need SERIOUS HELP here on installing this. I mean, someone to walk me through step by step.. I tried installing it as a single partition mac os extended - still ROOT DEVICE comes up. The DVD-ROM drive I got was from a PC I have, however i doubt thats whats causing the problem. I then formatted the disk into two partitions.. one being mac os extended, and the other being mac os x server UFS or UFS. STILL ROOT DEVICE comes up?!!? I am really getting into the destructive mood here, as I have little patience for this. I am not stupid! I know how to install OS'es, but never have I had so much FRUSTRATION from this. I have almost pulled all my hair out of my head because of this!!!

I am about to leave my cell number for someone to call me and walk me through this.. in fact, I am doing that right now.. 443.929.8845 - if you can help me, I will pay you through paypal $50.00 to help me get this thing at least to shut the **** with this ROOT DEVICE crap!

I AM DESPERATE!

RacerX wrote:
  • Rhapsody has to be installed on the master drive (not slave) drive of an ATA bus,
  • If installed on a partition, it can't be further away from the top of the master drive than 1 GB and has to be either the first or second partition.
Nadav35

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: VERY ANGRY HOW TO SHUT UP ROOT DEVICE ON SERVER 1.2V3? Reply with quote

Its not working!! I am really getting VERY VERY ANGRY about this.. I hate ROOT DEVICE?? Why isn't it installing? I only have one drive and its set to master.. the video card is a PCI 32MB video card. The G4 is a sawtooth 500 with bootrom 4.2.8f1. I need SERIOUS HELP here on installing this. I mean, someone to walk me through step by step.. I tried installing it as a single partition mac os extended - still ROOT DEVICE comes up. The DVD-ROM drive I got was from a PC I have, however i doubt thats whats causing the problem. I then formatted the disk into two partitions.. one being mac os extended, and the other being mac os x server UFS or UFS. STILL ROOT DEVICE comes up?!!? I am really getting into the destructive mood here, as I have little patience for this. I am not stupid! I know how to install OS'es, but never have I had so much FRUSTRATION from this. I have almost pulled all my hair out of my head because of this!!!

I am about to leave my cell number for someone to call me and walk me through this.. in fact, I am doing that right now.. 443.929.8845 - if you can help me, I will pay you through paypal $50.00 to help me get this thing at least to shut the **** with this ROOT DEVICE crap!

it68000 wrote:
Quote:

In case, drop me a line.
Nadav35

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, finally got 1.2 mac os x server - contact requested Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
Nadav35 wrote:

Sad

It really should pick up the CD on reboot.... I'm guessing you still have the CD in the drive @ this point??

while I still have my media, sadly I don't own a powermac that can run OS X 1.0 (I bought it the day it came out... lol talk about sucker!)

as it's booting check the dmesg to make sure it's picking up your CDROM... I get the feeling that it isn't, or your disk is ejected...

Also check the disk, it's multisession with half being HFS and the other being UFS...
Nadav35

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: You seem very knowledgable about this Reply with quote

I didn't spend 60 dollars for a program that gives me a blasted ROOT DEVICE all the time??

RacerX wrote:
RacerX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you a call later today, but I can already tell you that I see two trouble spots right off the bat. Apple modified Mac OS X Server 1.2 to work only with the DVD/CD drives and video cards that they were shipping with these systems.

No substitutions, original equipment only.

Trying to make hardware substitutions with anything other than older known working hardware on just about the last supported system is a recipe for disaster. Any hardware not pulled from either an identical Apple system or older in this case is like playing russian roulette with all the chambers loaded.

While Mac OS 8/9/X has a high degree of tolerance for not quite right hardware, Rhapsody has none what so ever. Either you are using the correct hardware or your not using Rhapsody. There is really no fudge room here.

To give you an idea just how picky Mac OS X Server 1.2 is, it won't install on the PowerBook G3 Lombard using the DVD-ROM drives Apple shipped with those systems. Upon restarting the hardware after starting the install it can't read the Rhapsody formatted partition of the installation media from those drives (which sounds like the problem you are having).

So I'd be happy to call you, but I would suggest finding a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive out of either a G3 (Beige or B&W) or G4 and putting in either the PCI or AGP version of the ATI Rage 128 video card that shipped with the G4s or B&W G3s before we get started.

And just to be sure, I just installed Mac OS X Server 1.2 (and NOT 1.2v3) on a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (original DVD-ROM, original video) with no issues at all. It took (without installing the MacOS.app) less than 10 minutes to complete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: