NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Top IBM Thinkpad configuration for OS4.2/DR2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Nedry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Top IBM Thinkpad configuration for OS4.2/DR2 Reply with quote

Greetings to all!

I'm looking for an IBM'r to run Rhapsody DR2 (I inherited the CD's from a friend who gave me a box of NeXT/OS-era junk), and possibly OS4.2 (though it looks like most OS4.2 software runs on DR2).

I have two questions.

1) Does Rhapsody suffer from the same 4GB limit as OS4.2?

If it does, is that on a per-disk basis, or per partition? Ie, can I chunk up a 8GB drive into two 4GB partitions...

2) What is the "ultimate" IBM Thinkpad for running Rhapsody?

Ie, I'd like to buy a unit that does 1024x768, has supported PCMCIA slots & will accept a supported PCMCIA network card, has supported USB, preferrably APM, 128MB or more of RAM support, and Audio.

This *almost* looks like the 570 or 600X, but those have the weird CS* Audio chipset and I'm not sure if that's supported.

The *only* system I've been able to find that looks like it maxes everything out for Rhapsody is the 390X.

So, I was wondering- can anyone confirm if the 390X is indeed the top-of-the-line system for OS4.2/Rhapsody DR2 (if not OS4.2, then at least Rhapsody)? Or is there a better system?

Cheerio.
-DN
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out RacerX's web site for good information about Rhapsody on IBM's. http://www.shawcomputing.net There's several models that run OPENSTEP 4.2/Rhapsody very well. I'm running OPENSTEP 4.2 on a 560E and a 765L. They're supported 100%. I prefer OS 4.2 over Rhapsody. Just a personal choice. Wink I know RacerX runs both on a 760ED. His is lacking sound. Just FYI I've also tried a 560Z and a few models of the 600's. They both had problems w/ APM. Worst thing to do is give it a shot & see how it works. Very Happy Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dennis Nedry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

I'd try it out, but that would require me buying a laptop to effectively see if it works. The 390X appears to be compatible, but as you say, APM support isn't a sure thing.

I guess the only real way to run Rhapsody in any definitive way these days is to fire it up inside VMware, in which case it has no problems running at 2.66ghz with supported sound, network, graphics, and input...

-DN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: