NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
LCD monitor with NeXT Station ( black and White ) no color

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_Fischbach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: LCD monitor with NeXT Station ( black and White ) no color Reply with quote

Hy,

I try to connect a LCD monitor to a NeXT Station or a NeXT turbo Station. or a NeXtCube without NeXTDimension board, no color.

Then these computers are normaly working with a 17 " inch balck and white monitor MegaPixel.

Is there anybody who have already connect a LCD flat monitor ( color or balck and white ) on a NeXT Station black and white ?

It will be helpfull because the 17 " B&W is too small and become old.

Regards. David from France.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David,

There's some information on wiring a VGA connector to a mono NeXT in this forum thread:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=517

The actual pin to pin wiring is mentioned in this post:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=517&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=29

I hope this works for you. Smile
David_Fischbach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy Nitro,

WONDERFUL !
Thank you for the information you gave to me.

I'm going to build this new connector to connect a NeXT Station B&W mono on a LCD VGA flat monitor.

I will email photos when done.

Regards.
David from France.
gtnicol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 5 Y cables made up and they work very well... DB19->DB19 and VGA (you need a soundbox or minimally the soundboard). If people are interested I can order a bunch and make them available for around $50 each (3' or 1m on each part of the Y).
gtnicol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an FYI. Here is a picture of a Turbo Mono cube connected to a Dell LCD monitor, using a soundboard. I figure that as the N400A monitors die off, this will be a viable alternative. The cables are currently 3' in length, but it's only $1 per extra foot... but the cables aren't a flexible as those nice NeXT cables either Smile

Turbo Cube + LCD by gtnicol, on Flickr
leamanc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread, but I'm sure this is still high on the "want list" of people still using black hardware.

I have a 33 MHz mono slab. I'd use it more often if it didn't involve lugging that monitor along with it every time I want to use it.

I have a 24" LG display that has a VGA port. (It also has an HDMI port, which is what gets used on it right now, but I'm not going to go crazy, and would be happy to hook up the NeXT via VGA).

I just have one question:

Does the OS (OpenStep 4.2 in my case) recognize the increased resolution of the display, and adjust accordingly?

I don't need or want 1920x1080 on my NeXT, but I just want to check and make sure it will run over VGA at some widescreen resolution, and that the icons won't be big and stretched out. Or that I'll end up with a "windowboxed" display, with black on the left and right sides of the screen.

Any info would be appreciated before I decide to tackle this project!
cbrunschen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leamanc wrote:
I just have one question:

Does the OS (OpenStep 4.2 in my case) recognize the increased resolution of the display, and adjust accordingly?

Black Hardware - NeXT cubes, slabs, etc - runs as a single resolution: 1120 x 832. That's it.

So while the OS itself is perfectly capable to run at many different resolutions, the hardware simply isn't designed to do that.
leamanc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbrunschen wrote:

Black Hardware - NeXT cubes, slabs, etc - runs as a single resolution: 1120 x 832. That's it.

So while the OS itself is perfectly capable to run at many different resolutions, the hardware simply isn't designed to do that.

Thanks, thatís exactly what I needed to know!
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: Letting you know we have the custom cables you need to do this on either NeXT Monostation's , NeXT Cubes or NeXT Colorstations

You also need a NeXT soundcard , they are available in your existing 4000A Monitors or NeXT Soundboxes .

4 by 3 monitors work best , wide monitors stretch the icons until Brian figures out how to solder in a video chip upgrade lol and peter, andreas writes the driver.

We offer premodified recapped soundboxes on our computerpowwow eBay store or you build your own cables I have the DB 19 connectors you need at the store as well. I used to have stacks of soundcards but am getting down to the last ones, no more cards available as we have recapped them all and gone ahead with the modification into the soundbox shell.
On eBay I see a lot of NeXT hardware being offered as is roll of the dice going for ridiculous prices , but it sells , I'm baffled. I'm also being pressured continually by other vendors to raise my prices , I like where they are at and I base them on overhead , purchase price etc and being fair to you as I'm not out to gouge . Damned if I do damned if I don't . You don't have to buy it off my eBay store , you can just email me direct at sales@blackholeinc.com .
Examples actual eBay alternative sales today mystery Cube sold for $1600+ with crappy photos, questionable legal ownership and no guarantee of anything working , they did not answer a single question, also only $15 for shipping had me scratching my head seriously to ship a Cube , Slab and Monitor good luck with receiving anything in one piece and the NeXT CDROM drive no guarantee of anything north of $350 , wow.
As I say I'm in a pickle with these crazy prices, knowing my stuff actually works and is priced less and I have got a great rep, so I'll just go with it.

Best Regards Rob Blessin
paolo.bertolo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

this is a nice match I would recommend: Eizo FlexScan S1910

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51tt25cf2cy49gw/FlexScanS1910.JPG?dl=0
krazycat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolo.bertolo wrote:
Hello,

this is a nice match I would recommend: Eizo FlexScan S1910

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51tt25cf2cy49gw/FlexScanS1910.JPG?dl=0

Very cool monitor, Paolo. What is the right value for one used Eizo S1910?
I'm using a LaCie Photon 19Vision, but I don't like the blue color Twisted Evil
paolo.bertolo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real value is of course zero, I got mine for some 50 CHF (think about 50 dollars).
They are some 10 years old now, so not all that common, especially considering Eizo is a premium brand.
But there are very nice Dell "all black" models (including the logo) available in quantity out there (we're still using some of them in the office as secondary display).
However, don't know about the sync on green feature, which somewhere in this forum is indicated as mandatory (the two Eizo I have support this).
In my understanding should not be needed at least for mono machines (I only have mono), as H and V sync signals are routed through dedicated channels.
However, I've never tested the adapter I have with displays not supporting sync on green, so I can't really tell.
Another one model that works fine is Eizo L768, mine is white, but was available in black too,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xppfc2a0yh0tm57/Eizo%20L768.jpg?dl=0

whereas the most "philologically correct" alternative Very Happy is a good old, contemporary CRT such as Eizo's, Sony Trinitron's or this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k92r9q14vxjkugf/Apple%20Multiple%20Scan%2017.jpg?dl=0

The latter, being from Apple, needs in turn an adapter, but works just fine.
krazycat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolo.bertolo wrote:
Real value is of course zero, I got mine for some 50 CHF (think about 50 dollars).
They are some 10 years old now, so not all that common, especially considering Eizo is a premium brand.
But there are very nice Dell "all black" models (including the logo) available in quantity out there (we're still using some of them in the office as secondary display).
However, don't know about the sync on green feature, which somewhere in this forum is indicated as mandatory (the two Eizo I have support this).
In my understanding should not be needed at least for mono machines (I only have mono), as H and V sync signals are routed through dedicated channels.
However, I've never tested the adapter I have with displays not supporting sync on green, so I can't really tell.
Another one model that works fine is Eizo L768, mine is white, but was available in black too,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xppfc2a0yh0tm57/Eizo%20L768.jpg?dl=0

whereas the most "philologically correct" alternative Very Happy is a good old, contemporary CRT such as Eizo's, Sony Trinitron's or this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k92r9q14vxjkugf/Apple%20Multiple%20Scan%2017.jpg?dl=0

The latter, being from Apple, needs in turn an adapter, but works just fine.

Thanks Paolo for your full explanation, here in Italy I saw an auction for Ezio S1910 near 120 euros and wanted to see if it was the right value before placing a bid. "Real value is of course zero" is more realistic than "120 euro" asked from vendor Razz
The Apple one is very cool (I have one or two or them in my lab, but I haven't the adapter for use with NeXTstation or cube (ah, your black box on background is cooler than the original SoundBox Wink ).
paolo.bertolo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box that you see is "nothing else" than a ADB soundboard converted to non ADB + VGA / Mac output, thanks to the rather excellent instructions available in this forum.
As I don't have an original soundbox, I have hosted it in some kit box.
The final version is this one (aluminum case, the black one was plastic):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zrqd5wd5e93avm/IMG_2569.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcbl9bvj68zi91p/IMG_2570.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g67hdvm0jx73n1s/IMG_2287.JPG?dl=0

and includes a loudspeaker and a power resistor (necessary for early cubes).

As it seems as though we're both Italians, in case you may need some more details about this kit, please feel free to contact me via private message.
Buona domenica.
krazycat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolo.bertolo wrote:
As it seems as though we're both Italians, in case you may need some more details about this kit, please feel free to contact me via private message.
Buona domenica.

PM sent, thank you !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: