NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org
 
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages

Log inLog in  RegisterRegister


Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Openstep on a SparcStation 5/Solaris 2.5.1 - So close yet...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
martinws



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Openstep on a SparcStation 5/Solaris 2.5.1 - So close yet... Reply with quote

I have got so close to installing OpenStep on my SparcStation 5.

After setting my .xinitrc file to the one provide in openstep/lib, the Openstep Window manager appears (from the 'openwin' command). Problem is I cannot get it to display the dock nor can I run any of the OpenStep applications provided since openstep is reporting an error message saying I need to run the window manager resolution at 72x72 dpi, however xdpyinfo is saying I am running at 90x90 dpi.

Any _easy_ way to forcing the dpi perhaps via the openwin startup?

Thanks,

Martin


Last edited by martinws on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
itomato



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 302
Location: Santa Cruz, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar troubles getting "regular" Openstep to run on a SPARC box (Solaris 10), so I started using "LuBu Openmagic" instead. Cheap way out, I know, but it works great.

http://alge.anart.no/projects/openmagic/
_________________
-itomato
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
martinws



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
I had similar troubles getting "regular" Openstep to run on a SPARC box (Solaris 10), so I started using "LuBu Openmagic" instead. Cheap way out, I know, but it works great.

http://alge.anart.no/projects/openmagic/


Hi thanks for that, I'll investigate this stuff.

In the meantime, looking at his install instructions http://alge.anart.no/projects/openmagic/INSTALL.txt

A valuable clue has allowed me to get the 'original' NeXTstep code (from this site) working.

Specifically:

>Make sure the following line is present in /etc/dt/config/Xservers:
>:0 Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner -dpi 72

Since I do not have the directory in /etc/dt/config, I thought I'd try
fixing the 'Xservers' file in /usr/dt/config and restarting the dtlogin process. This works a treat! I now have openstep running on my Sparcstation. Very Happy

Regards,

Martin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kb7sqi



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 488
Location: Winston Salem, NC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed that years ago on Solaris 8. It was pretty cool using having the NeXT GUI running on Solaris. But, I eventually just loaded OPENSTEP 4.2 on the system instead. It's been running that way every since. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
martinws



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
I installed that years ago on Solaris 8. It was pretty cool using having the NeXT GUI running on Solaris. But, I eventually just loaded OPENSTEP 4.2 on the system instead. It's been running that way every since. Very Happy


Now you're just trying to make me jealous aren't you? Wink

Martin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kb7sqi



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 488
Location: Winston Salem, NC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinws wrote:
kb7sqi wrote:
I installed that years ago on Solaris 8. It was pretty cool using having the NeXT GUI running on Solaris. But, I eventually just loaded OPENSTEP 4.2 on the system instead. It's been running that way every since. Very Happy


Now you're just trying to make me jealous aren't you? Wink

Martin


Running OPENSTEP 4.2 is a great choice for an older Sparc 5, 10, or 20. But if you're running a newer system, it's obvious you can't run OPENSTEP 4.2 on them. So OPENSTEP for Solaris is a good choice. Wink The one Sparc I wish OPENSTEP ran on is the old LX's/SparcClassic's. The old lunch box systems. Blazing 50mhz, but they're small compact systems. Take care.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
martinws



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
martinws wrote:
kb7sqi wrote:
I installed that years ago on Solaris 8. It was pretty cool using having the NeXT GUI running on Solaris. But, I eventually just loaded OPENSTEP 4.2 on the system instead. It's been running that way every since. Very Happy


Now you're just trying to make me jealous aren't you? Wink

Martin


Running OPENSTEP 4.2 is a great choice for an older Sparc 5, 10, or 20. But if you're running a newer system, it's obvious you can't run OPENSTEP 4.2 on them. So OPENSTEP for Solaris is a good choice. Wink The one Sparc I wish OPENSTEP ran on is the old LX's/SparcClassic's. The old lunch box systems. Blazing 50mhz, but they're small compact systems. Take care.


Is OPENSTEP 4.2 freely available? If so where?
The openstep 1.0 I've downloaded from this site has really peaked my interest.

Martin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Noth



Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 146
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Reading all this made me curious... Wish I'd known about this back in 97! So, after getting OpenStep1.1 for Solaris off some ftp server, I installed it on my Ultra1/170 in SunOS5.9. I fixed the DPI thing, and then logged in via the failsafe session from dtlogin, CDE's attempt at a login server. Launching oswm + openstep doesn't exactly do much, the iconbar on the right appears but is just grey, no icons or anything. I've got the feeling that what I downloaded was pretty basic. So... questions:

1. How do you get dtlogin to add a session option for OpenStep ?
2. Should I be doing any extra config steps?

http://docs.sun.com keeps refering to an OpenStep Solaris Installation Guide which of course no longer exists. Really useful Razz.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Noth
_________________
NeXT Cube 040 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SUN SparcStation5 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SGI Indigo2 R10000 (IRIX 6.5.22), SGI VSW320 (Windows 2000/Slakware 9.1)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
protocol7



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for these noob questions, but I'm totally new to Solaris and can't figure out how to get OpenStep to run.

I have a Ultra 5 with Solaris 2.5.1 and I've installed OpenStep 1.0.

I don't have a /usr/dt/config folder or a /etc/dt folder (or even a graphical login screen) so what do I need to do next to get OpenStep to run?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ebann



Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

protocol7 wrote:
Forgive me for these noob questions, but I'm totally new to Solaris and can't figure out how to get OpenStep to run.

I have a Ultra 5 with Solaris 2.5.1 and I've installed OpenStep 1.0.

I don't have a /usr/dt/config folder or a /etc/dt folder (or even a graphical login screen) so what do I need to do next to get OpenStep to run?


install OPENSTEP 4.2 instead... unless you really want to run OpenStep on top of Solaris Wink
_________________
White Box running OPENSTEP 4.2
Dual Pentium III 550MHz | 320MB ECC SDRAM
Matrox Millenium II 8MB
SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash (CF-to-IDE)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
protocol7



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPENSTEP 4.2 won't run on a Ultra 5, so I really do want to run OpenStep on top of Solaris Wink

Did the afore-mentioned Installation Guide ever surface?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ebann



Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

protocol7 wrote:
OPENSTEP 4.2 won't run on a Ultra 5, so I really do want to run OpenStep on top of Solaris Wink

Did the afore-mentioned Installation Guide ever surface?


Oh... Ultra 5... thought you meant Sparcstation 5... doh! Sorry... can't help ya. I've opted to run OpenStep Enterprise on top of my Windows XP... same thing but different machine.
_________________
White Box running OPENSTEP 4.2
Dual Pentium III 550MHz | 320MB ECC SDRAM
Matrox Millenium II 8MB
SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash (CF-to-IDE)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
protocol7



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a Sparc 5 as well, but I want to get OpenStep for Solaris running on this box anyway.

Just struck it lucky on archive.org. Found the old OpenStep for Solaris page with the link to the installation guide Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
protocol7



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the installation guide was the key. It's up and running now and looking fairly crumby in 8-bit colour Wink. Gotta get a better graphics card for this some day.

Anyway, I packed up the Installation Guide for anyone who'd like to keep a local copy. Get it here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkmoore



Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 183
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting OpenSTEP on SUN up and running. I have never seen it running in real life, but it looks pretty cool.

I'm curious if anyone around here knows the inside story as to why SUN spent all that time and money implementing OpenSTEP, not just the spec, but also the UI, only to drop it a year or two later for Java. SUN was once a great company. Sorry about the troll. Just curious.

I used a SUN for a while in the military- it was slow but it worked. I don't remember the model number, or which version of Solaris it was running, the UI (CDE) was butt ugly though. If I knew at the time about OpenSTEP on Solaris, I would have installed it as I had root access and it was basically my SUN.

The one thing I liked about SUN was the Control key was where the Caps lock is on a PC or Mac. Very good for Emacs. I swap those keys on any computer I use.

Brian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2017 phpBB Group