NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Help needed: Rhapsody on PB 3400c

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Help needed: Rhapsody on PB 3400c Reply with quote

Im beginning to give up on that Rhapsody thing.... Im owning several versions of Rhapsody and quite a lot of Apple hardware said to be compatible - but I didnt manage to do a single install by now.

Now I tried to install DR 2 on my PowerBook 3400c but it does not work, too. I tried to follow the guidelines RacerX is providing here:

http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/DR2_3400_Install.html

Time to say: "Thank You, RacerX, for all Your work!" - I would really like to "use" that PowerBook for some work with Rhapsody, not only dust fetching Wink

I would like to try to explain my difficulties I had with that 3400 by now.

1. First of all Im not sure if I really used a DR2. It boots within an American OS 9, from what I know DR 1 carries 8.6. Is there a way to determine the version without having a machine running Rhapsody?

2. Following the already mentioned guidelines I tried both: formatting as HFS and HFS+, in both cases the installation (non supported configuration) seems to get stuck when booting from the OS X CD partition - never got any further than that.

3. Im not able to find that "Multibooter 1.0d11" application on my CD. Is it named somewhat different? Is it invisible? Regarding that guideline it has to be copied to the hard disk. But which partition? The one that is going to carry Mac OS 9 or the one for Rhapsody? Is it that control panel "system Disk"?

Now some more questions:

Is it possible to run Rhapsody solely on that PowerBook or does there have to be a Mac OS partition? After booting from the OS 9 partition (on CD) and starting the OS X install process (unsupported config) it reboots, shows the ball of pain and the friendly mac, then drops into a dark blue screen (CD and hard disk still spinning for some time) and then..... nothing. Re-booting doesnt change that, removing the CD keeps me dropping into "cant load from drive ata somewhat.

To me it makes no difference if Im using the original 2 GB drive or another 6, 10 or 20 GB drive but is there a limit?

To additional information: I tried installations on two PBs 3400, one with a 64 MB upgrade and the other one with a 128 MB upgrade, I even downgraded both machines to their factory state - no efforts..

J
RacerX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to cover a number of things even though I'm going to guess that the installation media is missing the Rhapsody Partition, so bare with me please.

Identifying Rhapsody
Figuring out which version you have is quite important to matching it up with correct hardware. If you have original media, you can compare it with the images on this page (and specifically, this image). If you are not using original media, then you can tell by which version of the Mac OS is on the boot CD...
  • Mac OS 8.0 - Rhapsody DR1 (Rhapsody 5.0)
  • Mac OS 8.1 - Rhapsody DR2 (Rhapsody 5.1)
  • Mac OS 8.5 - Mac OS X Server 1.0 (Rhapsody 5.3)
  • Mac OS 9.0 - Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody 5.6)
You said that it was booting into a US version of Mac OS 9, so I would guess that you are using the Rhapsody 5.6 version.

I can tell you right now that this version should install on a PowerBook 3400c without any issues as long as your media is whole.

Is Your Media Whole?
One of the hardest questions to answer is if you actually have both partitions of the installation because the Rhapsody partition is not generally visible to the Mac OS.

For Rhapsody DR1 and DR2 there was a utility called Multibooter which was renamed System Disk for the Mac OS X Server releases. This application will let you see the Rhapsody partition of the installation media.

I've never put up a page on this before because you can't generally take screen shots when starting off a CD... so I set up one of my systems with the extension and System Disk so I could get this shot for you...

If running System Disk from the CD on your 3400c you don't see that first image, then you do not have the partition that actually contains the Rhapsody installation.

How did I get that second image? I used one of my failed attempts at duplicating a Mac OS X Server installation CD. It is very hard to make working copies of the PowerPC versions of the Rhapsody installation media... even harder than making copies of the Intel version.

What If You See Both Partitions?
If you actually see both partitions, then after running the installation program, but before restarting, select the Mac OS X partition of the installation media and click Save. Then you can let your system restart.

All the same rules for installations on desktop systems apply here... installation should be on the first partition of the hard drive if possible (or on the second partition with the first being no larger than 1 GB). I ran my test installation on a 10 GB drive as I recall.

And Blue Box doesn't work on the 3400's PowerPC 603e... it seems to have been set up to only work on PowerPC 604, G3 or G4 processors.

How this was helpful.
Jenne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really strange...

First of all: Thank You again for such valuable information! Saved me a lot of time and filled up my dustbin a bit more...
In the end it reduced itself to three versions that seem to be usable, in fact 5.6 runs like a charm - but still DR 2 and OS X Server 1.0 refuse to work. This is how it looks like using the boot utilities:

Looks to me like these are "good" but still the PowerBook hangs on OS X restart. Well, I will keep on making information updates, maybe I find something that causes that hang Sad

J
Jenne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime I got at least a bit further...

Ok, hoping not to annoy anyone here is my little story. I started the whole process all over again, making notes about any strange behaviour while installing DR 2 to make sure I didn't miss anything.

1. First of all I used a DR 2 which seems to work. So I started into Mac OS 9 - suffering that ugly "locked desktop file" thing. I still don't understand what is going wrong here but it doesn't matter. Result: no process like described in that old tutorial.

2. Booted off a known good german OS 9, partitioning the hard disk (6 GB) into two HFS+, using the second one for Mac OS and reserving the first one for DR 2, meaning reserving the first GBs for DR 2. Installed OS 9 and restarted into that one.

3. After reboot I inserted the DR 2 CD and copied over that Multibooter to the german OS 9 (doesn't matter if german or whatever, was always the same). Started the "Install Rhapsody" which failed later on with an error message (which itself did not exactly tell me what is wrong). With the Multibooter I chose the Rhapsody partition of the CD and restarted.

4. Installation of DR 2 was starting - so I followed the description further on. After the second restart I booted back into OS 9 and chose the Rhapsody partition of the hard disk. Reboot... While rebooting I inserted the DR 2 CD: tadaaaaa! The installation was completed sometime afterwards. Sounds good up to this point, does it?

5. No matter what I tried: I'm now not able anymore to choose the Rhapsody partition as a boot device! The Multibooter is ignored, the systemextension is ignored, any keytroke upon boot is ignored... At last I've seen DR 2 once Sad

So I thought it all over what I could do about this. Anyway I wanted a PowerBook 3400 without any Mac OS besides the Rhapsody Installation. So I started it all over again. I connected an external hard disk, installed OS 9 onto that one levaing the internal hard disk solely for DR 2. The rest of the installation process was exactly the same like described before with one "little" difference: the installation process itself never went further than up to the non-GUI part which is well known from OpenStep and NeXTstep. After every reboot the DR 2 installation process began all over again. The hardest failure of this process: the restoration of Mac OS bootability failed completly. I had to cut the PowerBook from any energy source for an hour to be able to boot it off a classic Mac OS CD again.

Anyway, besides all these little problems I can testify by now, that a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh is capable to run Mac OS X Server 1.2 / Rhapsody 5.6. Although it does not utilize the Sonnet G3 Upgrade (who wonders) it is not necessary to de-install that upgrade in order to install 5.6. I think anybody will understand by now why I'm not trying to install DR 2 to that beauty...

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: