NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Apple Network Server 500/132

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Apple Network Server 500/132 Reply with quote

Well, here it is! I made some first photographs of my new box. Indeed itīs in mint condition: no scratches, all original hardware and working!

Front view with the drive lid closed:

The original 2 GB Seagate drive with the Apple label on it:

The drive bay with the harddisk pulled off the rack:

The front lock / switch. This one is strange: you have to turn it in some predefined positions in order to install AIX, modifying the hard- or software and locking the drives and the lid:

The innards behind the left fan. This is the connector board for the drive bays. The ANS pre-defines the SCSI IDs of the bays from top to bottom, from "1" to "7" - no SCSI jumpers to be attached to any drive:

The writing on the processor board:

The main board pulled off the case. You have to unlock that bay and if you do so the server immediatly shuts down:

Another front view, lid open:

The back pane with the connectors:

One of the three keys. The other side shows three numbers hammered to the metal body of the key (not shown Wink):

First impression of AIX after installing the BOS and additional software packages:

Well, just first impressions. I noticed that AIX is quite difficult to configure, but the box itself is such a fine and well designed piece of hardware that Iīm going to read all the necessary manuals Wink

J
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice/clean box! Congrats again Jenne. Thanks for the pics. Wink And I'm glad AIX loaded on it ok. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
helf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! Congrats on getting one finally Smile

Now I really want one...
Jenne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the congratulations! Indeed, the longer this box stands besides my desk the more I begin to love it =) But I just discovered something funny: I used the diagnostic tools today which at a certain stage shows the date of manufacturing: 28.8.1996 - so this ANS has itīs twelveth birthday tomorrow Smile

J
slomacuser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the machine looks great but the AIX ... very un apple style (I know it is IBM's)
it would be much greater, if apple would use some PPC OPENSTEP/RHAPSODY technology on that Surprised
cubist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: next connection Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
Thanks for the congratulations! Indeed, the longer this box stands besides my desk the more I begin to love it =)

The desktop UI on that is CDE which actually has a few NeXT influences. If you have the development tools there should be a design app (dtbuilder?). Very much in the Interface Builder mold (to the extent possible with the languages and tools).
neozeed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool box, I heard about them a while back, but I had an RS/6000 and the whole time I had to laugh, thinking of Apple+AIX...

This was before the whole NeXT thing though, and I guess they were thinking of a PPC SYSVr4 that would get them back into the unix market after they let AU/X languish....

Which reminds me I need to get a SCSI disk for my Quadra 700.......
Jenne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
Which reminds me I need to get a SCSI disk for my Quadra 700.......

I just re-installed A/UX on my Quadra some weeks ago. I like this strange UNIX. What size of HD do You need?

Yes, AIX seems to have some influences from NeXT. Although it's not very Mac-like it has some advantages. I decided not to intsall Yellow Dog Linux (which I can handle a bit better) but stick to AIX. Man, it took me about 20 minutes yesterday just to adjust the display resolution and refresh rate!

J
pentium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's...so...pretty!
I still wish I could get my hands on one.

EDIT:
Your system also seems to be pretty much loaded. It's a really, really nice system.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
cchaven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a sweet looking box. I'd hate to have to move it though! The size reminds me of some of the early SGI deskside machines. My only exposure to AIX was on an AS/400 that we used for one specific critical database application that was accessed by connections from all over the world...the machine had one operator and he was pretty much the only one that was allowed to touch it.
Jenne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isnīt as loaded as it looks like. In fact it came only with 64 MB RAM and a 2 GB harddisk. The additional RAM modules were placed in that server by myself, I had to plunder a PowerMac 9600, because I wasnīt able until now to find any larger RAM modules cheap enough justifying any upgrade to 1 GB (ANS) or 1,5 GB (PM 9600). As long as there are no spare parts available anymore the other drive trays are just dust-fetchers. I will build myself a drive bracket mounting for the rear of that server which will hold two or three additional SCSI drives - but then the limits are reached, I suppose. But another 180 GB SCSI storage should be enough for my classic software storage, I suppose.
Maybe I will give up on AIX and move over to YDL. There is nearly no information available about AIX 4 anymore and it simply takes too much time to configure a server OS just by reading the contained help documents. YDL also would allow much more additional hardware I could really use...

J
neozeed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
It isnīt as loaded as it looks like. In fact it came only with 64 MB RAM and a 2 GB harddisk. The additional RAM modules were placed in that server by myself, I had to plunder a PowerMac 9600, because I wasnīt able until now to find any larger RAM modules cheap enough justifying any upgrade to 1 GB (ANS) or 1,5 GB (PM 9600). As long as there are no spare parts available anymore the other drive trays are just dust-fetchers. I will build myself a drive bracket mounting for the rear of that server which will hold two or three additional SCSI drives - but then the limits are reached, I suppose. But another 180 GB SCSI storage should be enough for my classic software storage, I suppose.
Maybe I will give up on AIX and move over to YDL. There is nearly no information available about AIX 4 anymore and it simply takes too much time to configure a server OS just by reading the contained help documents. YDL also would allow much more additional hardware I could really use...

J

I used to run AIX 3 & 4, and I did all my configuration with

smitty

on a IBM 3151 TTY.... The X11 version ought to be

smit

I found it easy to manage actually....
Jenne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
I found it easy to manage actually....

Well, Iīm no native speaker and Iīve never seen such a complicated TCP/IP configuration before. Sure, You can just fill the major entry fields with known values, but there are tons of fields unknown...

J
niteshooter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey stranger, the ANS is looking good!
Jenne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks niteshooter! Now the box has three drives (two in the back in self made carrier) and 512 MB RAM - but I'm still missing some network integration and especially drivers for some hardware...

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: