NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Daydream ROM box kit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andreas_g

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting project! I wonder if the daydream kernel will run in the Previous emulator out of the box. If not, my goal is to make it work.

I am interested in what concept is used for abstraction of the NeXT hardware and emulation of the parts necessary to run Mac OS. Or is everything done by patching the Mac ROM with custom drivers?

I'm especially interested in how daydream communicates with the NeXTdimension board. The question is, if there is a way to emulate the NeXTdimension on the topmost abstraction layer.
schubige

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andreas. you're one of the "previous" delevopers, right? great work! i used "previous" to bootstrap the darkmatter/daydream hack to the point where daydream tinkers with the hardware and things started breaking apart.

daydream is a combination of MacOS ROM patches (very few) and rewritten Mac OS device drivers (video, enet, scsi, serial, floppy, ...) - I guess you know the mileage. I'm happy to help you to get daydream running with "previous". I don't think it will be that complicated.

The next dimension board is basically just used as a frame buffer. For each ND board I simulate a video card (with ROM etc.) in a simulated NuBus slot. It's used by MacOS/QuickDraw like any other 3rd party video card.
schubige

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news from the darkmatter front. I received the '040 board from mikeboss today and my hacked daydream worked out of the box (well, almost). MacOS starts booting but hangs at some point during the boot process. I will investigate further but this is pretty close to a working darkmatter/daydream. Check this out (you have to copy paste the link - the forum doesn't like it with the url markup):
Code:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=85F82C85086387B5!37156&authkey=!ACJ5c3aMtM_Bvts&ithint=video%2cmp4
andreas_g

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am one of the developers. I wrote the code for the devices (SCSI controller, MO drive controller, DMA controller, floppy controller, etc) and most system registers. I also wrote the code for the 68030 MMU.

Except for the MMU, I used a minimalistic approach. That means the emulation is good enough to make the NeXT ROM and kernel happy, but besides from that it is incomplete.

I think it mostly depends on the Mac OS device drivers, how difficult the implementation of the missing hardware features will be.

If I understand correctly, the graphics acceleration features of the NeXTdimension where not used and the NeXTdimension VRAM was just written with the plain screen contents?
schubige

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we just let QuickDraw mess around with the VRAM on the ND. If you like to get daydream running with previous, I can certainly help you with the various hardware devices. Working on darkmatter/daydream is much easier with previous than on the real hardware. So I'm very interested in some progress there.
andreas_g

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give me the required files and a short instruction on what needs to be done for getting the daydream/darkmatter kernel to boot, i will have a look if i can fix the problems.

I am very short with time at the moment, so i can't promise a timeframe for the fixes.
mikeboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schubige wrote:
good news from the darkmatter front. I received the '040 board from mikeboss today and my hacked daydream worked out of the box (well, almost). MacOS starts booting but hangs at some point during the boot process. I will investigate further but this is pretty close to a working darkmatter/daydream. Check this out (you have to copy paste the link - the forum doesn't like it with the url markup):
Code:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=85F82C85086387B5!37156&authkey=!ACJ5c3aMtM_Bvts&ithint=video%2cmp4

wow!!! incredible progress in virtually no time. congratulations, very impressive work!
schubige

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected, the MacOS boot-hang was only a PRAM issue. This is fixed now and you can start testing darkmatter on black hardware. You find the patch tool here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=85F82C85086387B5%21111

In addition to "darkmatter.jar" you need:

* A recent JRE (Java Runtime Environment). The patch tool runs on Windows, Mac OS or Linux
    * A Mac LC ROM image file (not LC II and not LC III, works only with LC ROM); google for "350EACF0 - Mac LC.ROM"
    * A daydream 2.11 kernel file; you find it on this site.

What you don't need anymore:
    * A daydream ROM box Smile

Invoke the tool with
Code:
 java -jar darkmatter.jar daydream "350EACF0 - Mac LC.ROM"

This will create a folder "darkmatter" which contains the new kernel (size after patch should be 655360 bytes). Enjoy!

P.S.: I will be off for one week of vacation. Looking forward to your comments.
cuby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schubige wrote:
As expected, the MacOS boot-hang was only a PRAM issue.

Excellent - I got the patch tool to work on Yosemite with JDK8 and was able to patch the kernel, will try to boot tonight.
Quote:
    * A daydream 2.11 kernel file; you find it on this site.

If you don't want to extract the daydream 2.11 update floppy image from floppy on your NeXT, you can also mount the UFS disk image using the ufs driver from OSXfuse (http://osxfuse.github.io):
Code:
ufs --dmg update-v2.11.img --type nextstep ~/mnt

Thanks for your excellent work!

-- Michael
barcher174

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This was amazingly fast! I can't remember projects I did 6 months ago and here you picked this up like you did it yesterday. My hat is off to you. I'll try it out this weekend.

Thanks,
Brian
NeXTnewbe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news

Last edited by NeXTnewbe on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mikeboss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WORKS!!! Cool

so far I discovered two tiny little flaws/oddities:

Mini7.dydream starts to boot, shows happy mac but then suddenly stops and displays the floppy with the blinking question mark.

my own System 7 HD image boots just fine though. the only thing I found not working is "Shut Down" from within System 7. the Mac just freezes after initiating the shutdown command. AFAIR this worked with the daydream ROMbox attached (can't check because I sold/traded mine some time ago). Restart on the other hand works flawless.

EDIT:
it looks like my "Mini7.daydream.compressed" might be corrupt. will investigate further...

Last edited by mikeboss on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Venture37

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, I'm dusting off my NeXStation turbo to try it out Smile
andreas_g

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floppy drive is broken and the mouse is a little bit hard to control. But i guess this is still good news Wink

Macintosh System 7 boots in Previous!
NeXTnewbe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I run with a message that application does not run, not even the Daydream.app shows its icon,

any help will be welcome, please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: