NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org
 
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages

Log inLog in  RegisterRegister


Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mach 3.0 for 68k

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mevdev



Joined: 15 Mar 2006
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Mach 3.0 for 68k Reply with quote

Does this exist. I've come across quite a lot of information about the 88k, and also other machines (MIPS R2000, x86).

Is there a place to get the mach kernel source for the 68k. It exists, that is for sure, but does it exist outside of NeXT?

I also know of mklinux, which is the first linux distro I ever installed. I had a 7100/80. I guess it should have been called mkgnu since the whole point of calling something linux without the linux kernel is not right.

Anyone know where I could get the source for mach 3.0 on 68k, hopefully for the mac (probably Mac II or something, 68030).

-mevdev
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cuby



Joined: 12 Jan 2006
Posts: 167
Location: Coburg, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mach 3.0 for 68k Reply with quote

mevdev wrote:
Does this exist. I've come across quite a lot of information about the 88k, and also other machines (MIPS R2000, x86).

Is there a place to get the mach kernel source for the 68k. It exists, that is for sure, but does it exist outside of NeXT?


There was a Mach 3 port for (IIRC) Amiga and Sun 3 machines.
You can still find some files on ftp.funet.fi in /pub/mach/amiga/

I'm afraid, however, that at least the Amiga port never was fully functional.

Quote:

I also know of mklinux, which is the first linux distro I ever installed. I had a 7100/80. I guess it should have been called mkgnu since the whole point of calling something linux without the linux kernel is not right.


Actually, it was using an adapted Linux kernel as server running on top of Mach 3, so calling it MkLinux makes as much sense as calling e.g. Linux running on top of L4 L4Linux (similar for Xen).

Quote:

Anyone know where I could get the source for mach 3.0 on 68k, hopefully for the mac (probably Mac II or something, 68030).


I don't know if there actually was a Mach 3 port to black hardware inside NeXT. It's a bit doubtful, since more recent OpenStep developments like the DriverKit weren't ported to the 68k-based machines and NeXT probably was already busy building the 88k and PPC prototypes when experimenting with Mach 3.

- cuby
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2017 phpBB Group