NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Lombard install ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevebez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Lombard install ? Reply with quote

Is it possible to install Rhapsody 5.3 on a Lombard, with the intention of upgrading to 5.6 immediately?
RacerX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I outlined my experiences with running Rhapsody on my Lombard here, and the only sure way to get it installed is using a CD-ROM drive (as the DVD-ROM drives that come with the Lombards are not supported).

There really isn't much of an upgrade path between 5.3 to 5.6. Apple released (to a very limited number of people) an upgrade CD, but the standard 5.6 CD does not allow for an upgrade of 5.3-5.5 to 5.6.

That having been said, most of the important aspects of 5.6 are in 5.5, so it isn't like starting all over again is really needed. In fact this is most likely why apple stopped producing the 5.6 upgrade media, as 5.6's major new feature was support for the G4 based systems (which 5.3-5.5 couldn't be installed on anyways).

So if you have 5.3 handy (and don't mind the 256 colors limitation), then I would suggest updating to 5.5 and not worrying about 5.6. After the 5.5 update you should be able to update Mac OS 8.5.1 to 8.6 in Blue Box.
stevebez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but will 5.3 install on a Lombard?
RacerX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevebez wrote:
Ok, but will 5.3 install on a Lombard?

Good point... I was so wrapped up in the differences between what 5.3-5.5 had to offer verses 5.6 that I forgot to take into consideration if anything earlier would even install. Embarassed

Support for the Lombards and first generation iBooks was added with 5.6.

Because I needed thousand/millions of colors, I spent very little time playing with Rhapsody on my Lombard and subsequently acquired a 300 MHz Wallstreet to fill that role for me. So I never made any other attempts to try anything else on it (I put 10.3.9 on it and started using it for school/work duties).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: