NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Daydream impressions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Daydream impressions... Reply with quote

My Daydream came in a few days ago. Just got the chance to hook it up and play with it tonight. I must say, it is pretty sweet Smile

It runs System 7.1 REALLY quickly, boots insanely fast, and looks like ass compared to NS3.3, lol.. My 33mhz NeXT with 128mb of RAM is running Mac OS much quicker than any of my real 68k macs ever did Smile

Anyone know what the last OS revision you could run on it is? I know with a bit of effort you can make 7.5.5 (I think) run most 8.0 software.

One thing I wish it supported was running the Mac OS inside a window in NEXTSTEP.

*edit*

Admins, would you want duplicates of the program floppies that came with the Daydream? I can scan in all the documentation, as well.
pentium

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For scanning in the docs and disks, I have already done that (heck, I even did the box). Now I just need a place to store it all. Wink

Yeah, I think that the best you can get is 7.5.3 and it should suit most needs for a classic, non-powerPC mac.
BTW, would you have any way of dumping that GAL chip in the ROM box?

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
helf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK. Cool. Spare me having to do it Razz

I *might* know someone that can do something with that GAL. I'll try to remember to find out.
pentium

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can just dump it into something I can burn onto another chip I should be able to complete my own Daydream box (As I sold mine to someone Wink )

Thrax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounded really fun. In those days i had the tiny monitors on my macs so it must of looked really good with the big screen as well. Did you have any compatibility issues with any software, particularly games? Also did you run it in colour and what colour mode if so was the OS showing? I was always curious about the daydream.
gtnicol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting disk errors when I try to boot my daydream. Did you just follow the manual?
helf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtnicol, what kind of errors? the little floppy icon with a question mark or X flashing in it? If so, I bet you are using OS4.2, aren't you? The daydream will only work with up to 3.3 iirc, I just tried it with 4.2 and it gives those errors... it will boot from a floppy, but not the hdd. works perfectly in 3.3.

Thrax, dunno what color mode. it IS in color. looks like its running it in "thousands of colors". not sure. I'm still running it with a REALLY lite system 7.1 install that it came with. I'm about to order a CD from a guy with a newer OS release. After I get that set up, I will let you know how it works with more programs. I'll probably take a video of it running in a day or two. kinda cool Smile
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried installing A/UX and it failed. Couldn't detect a compatible SCSI controller... bummer. Thought it was worth a shot. Would have been awesome to run A/UX on my NeXT. lol.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
I tried installing A/UX and it failed. Couldn't detect a compatible SCSI controller... bummer. Thought it was worth a shot. Would have been awesome to run A/UX on my NeXT. lol.

I could've saved you that trouble. LOL. Should've asked. Tell ya what, you just put that Daydream in a box. I'll pay for the shipping & you can send it to me. Then I'll dig out that Quadra 950, & let you pay for the shipping for that in return. Wink Then you'll have a nice box to run A/UX on. Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, tempting as that may be, I can't bring myself to devalue my NeXT collection that much ;P
pentium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's yhis? Is my Daydream box really making its rounds across North America? xP

Thrax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
gtnicol, what kind of errors? the little floppy icon with a question mark or X flashing in it? If so, I bet you are using OS4.2, aren't you? The daydream will only work with up to 3.3 iirc, I just tried it with 4.2 and it gives those errors... it will boot from a floppy, but not the hdd. works perfectly in 3.3.

Thrax, dunno what color mode. it IS in color. looks like its running it in "thousands of colors". not sure. I'm still running it with a REALLY lite system 7.1 install that it came with. I'm about to order a CD from a guy with a newer OS release. After I get that set up, I will let you know how it works with more programs. I'll probably take a video of it running in a day or two. kinda cool Smile

"thousands of colours" was what i was wondering about. Thanks. I asked because i was curious what the screen would show. THe Next had 4096 colours while the macs of the day iirc had 256, 32K (thousands), or millions of colours as options in the control panel.
chriskapeller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Daydream with OS 7.5 - no network connection Reply with quote

Cant get the network working - runs perfect on the NeXT but not on the daydream. Any help out there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: