First Computer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarecrow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother's LC 475 then my very own Performa 5200 and NeXTstation TurboColor
neozeed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very sad & denial commodore 64...

With a tape drive, floppy drive, 300 baud modem, the mouse & geoworks...

Then I bought a 286 peicemeal. It wasn't years later that I bought an Amiga 500. Happy days.. to only see how limited it was storage wise like the commodore 64.

I've owned far too many machines, and given them away... From big SUN/RS6000's to a small sun ipc..

Right now my retro source of fun is a Macintosh Quadra 950 with A/UX... it's ... so almost usable. Think Mac OS X in the 1980s..

It's no nextstep by any stretch though Wink
stevebez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ti 99/4a.

The funny thing is in one way it looked much like the majority of todays computers: It was all black and brushed nickel.
blackcube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first computer I used was a Reliance Electric uDAC control computer. It ran CP/M 1.1 later upgraded to 2.2 on 8" floppies. This was in a Standard Brands margarine plant and we were allowed to use it for personal purposes after hours. In 1978 I bought a single board 8080 computers, a used 8" floppy for $500 and used a cast off Teletype terminal from GTE until I could afford a used terminal. In 1980 I upgraded to a TI99/4 which was traded for a TI99/4A in 1981. That was replaced with a Tandy Model 100. I used that to log onto Compuserve at 300 baud. In 1984 I purchased a Tandy 1000HD which I still have.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:
The first computer I used was a Reliance Electric uDAC control computer. It ran CP/M 1.1 later upgraded to 2.2 on 8" floppies. This was in a Standard Brands margarine plant and we were allowed to use it for personal purposes after hours. In 1978 I bought a single board 8080 computers, a used 8" floppy for $500 and used a cast off Teletype terminal from GTE until I could afford a used terminal. In 1980 I upgraded to a TI99/4 which was traded for a TI99/4A in 1981. That was replaced with a Tandy Model 100. I used that to log onto Compuserve at 300 baud. In 1984 I purchased a Tandy 1000HD which I still have.

So is it really true that margarine is a grey goo more like packing grease then like a 'food' product?
blackcube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
blackcube wrote:

So is it really true that margarine is a grey goo more like packing grease then like a 'food' product?

It's congealed partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and waste products from milk production with a soy based emulsifier added to hold it all together.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:

It's congealed partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and waste products from milk production with a soy based emulsifier added to hold it all together.

Ugh. I'm glad I've always had butter.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Televideo running CP/M at my mom's work a hospital, 1982

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=610
Jenne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinclair Spectrum ZX, but I donīt remember when I first played around with it anymore, must have been around the very early 80s

J
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ti 99/4a, with the speech synth and big expansion chassis added later for more memory and a floppy drive. Still have it packed away in a couple of boxes downstairs (no original box though). Next was a PCjr that dad bought for the house, since he used Lotus 123 at work, and it was available on a cartridge for the jr. No longer have that one, but I have pieced together a replacement unit over the last few years, with all the memory and printer expansion "sidecar" units.

Chef
Thrax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979, Apple II plus clone with dual 5 1/4" drives. Got quickly upgraded with a 128K card and lower case caps. Still have it too.
djb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ownership in my family or me was:

Atari 800
Mac Plus
Mac LCII
PowerMac 610
Pentium 166
Next slab (still own of course)
PIII
Macbook (current)

ahh the memories!
armus2112

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atari 800
pentium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my first mac was a mac plus but I can't seem to remember where it is anymore. I think it was thrown away but the blue bag it came in was traded off with my Mac SE (my second mac) just last year when I got my cube.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
cchaven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first computer I got to use belonged to my High School...they had a classroom with a network of a bunch of TRS-80 Model III's....one 64k disk based 'server' and the rest were 16k cassette based machines.

The first computer I owned, which was shortly after starting to program on the TRS-80's, was a Timex-Sinclair 1000. I used a portable TV for the display and my stereo system for data storage. It had the added 16k RAM expansion. One had to be careful though, as the contact between the RAM expansion and the computer wasn't real good, so if you bumped the computer too hard, it reset and you lost everything. All this was in the 1981-1982 timeframe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: