Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
memson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first was a 16K Sinclair ZX Spectrum. I then went through a bunch:

Commodore 64
Amstrad cpc464
Atari 800xl
Sinclair ZX81 (stopgap when my Speccy died)
Sinclair +2
Oric Atmos
Amiga 500+
Acorn A3000 (my parents, but I later inherited it)

First PC was in 1994.
First Mac was in 2000
cjwallgren1s

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first computer that I remember seeing was an AT&T 6300+ 286.
The first computer that I ever used had to be an IBM PC/AT at home and a PC/XT at my dad's office.
ErikTheHack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: My Precious Reply with quote

197x: I actually know for sure what the first computer I used was -- it was in elementary school in the 70s. Someone once told me they knew it was a PDP11. We were of course tied in via 160 column paper terminals. It was all about Star Trek, Horoscopes, and Lemonade Stand.

1980: The first micro computer (what we now call a PC in a generic sense) I used was a friend's father's Apple II+. That was all about Gorgon (a Defender-like game) Ultima, Castle Wolfenstein, and programming various joke programs in Applesoft BASIC or 6502 assembly. I think the best one was a random fart sound generator. Ahhh, to be 11 again Wink

1980 (xmas): The first micro computer I owned was an Atari 400 with 16k RAM and the gawd-awful Atari 410 cassette drive for storage. I used an old 12" Sony Trinitron TV for my display. Used to play lots of games (of course). I began developing games and utilities in Atari BASIC and Atari Assembler/Editor.

1981: My dad realized that I really needed a real keyboard and a floppy drive so he took me out to get an Atari 800 w/48k, Atari 810 floppy drive, Atari 835 "direct connect" modem, and a Sears color composite computer video display. Started hitting BBSs. Hacking, Cracking, Phreaking. Lawless times they were on the home computer frontier!

1982: Atari 800XL + Atari 1050 FDD etc.

1985: Atari 130XE

1987: Atari 520ST

1988: Atari MEGA2 ST

1990: Atari TT030

1991: NeXT Cube '030

1994: NeXTStation Turbo Color ADB

1996: Self-built dual-processor Pentium 200MHz system

1999: Power Macintosh G4 @ 450MHz -- anticipating upcoming Mac OS X

2001: Power Macintosh G4 Cube @ 500MHz

2002: Titanium PowerBook G4 (DVI) @ 667MHz

2004: Aluminum PowerBook 15" @ 1.5GHz

2005: PowerBook 12" @ 1.5GHz (Ran over my prev PB with my truck)

2006: MacBook (Black) @ 2.0GHz /
3 x MacMini upgraded to Core 2 Duo @ 2.16GHz

2007: MacBook (Black) @ 2.16GHz

2008: MacBook Air (SSD) @ 1.8GHz

2008: MacBook (Unibody) @ 2.4GHz /
EFi-X based Hackintosh @ Quad Core 2.83GHz (OC to 3.4GHz)
chancehooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: First Computer? Reply with quote

cjbriare wrote:
Hello Everybody. Just a quick question for all of you.

What was the first computer you ever used?

Don't just say: Mac.

Be specific! Say it like this: PowerMac 7200, back in 1998!

Very Happy

Ooooh, this makes me feel old. BBC Model B, possibly - certainly first at School (Aged 8, in 1985). I think my dad bought I/him/us a Toshiba MSX machine a bit before then, though - maybe '83?

Then I got a ZX80 (the white wedge with a rubber keyboard), dismantled it for components, as it was a) awful and b) broke..then a commodore 64...then, school 286 12MHz RM Nimbus PCs (they had a lovely keyboard action, I recall), a generic 386SX 33MHz PC, Nintendo Gameboy, ( then Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Colour, and Advance...N64, Saturn and an old Atari Jaguar whilst at School and Uni)...Then I had a Pentium 90 ex-server...first machine I ever had a modem with - thta was an adventure (although a bloody awful machine), after which I had a Dreamcast, then XBox, Gamecube and an old Gamegear for gaming, whilst working on my brand-new PowerMac G4....

Now the fastest boxes I own are a Dual-xeon workstation with 4GB of Rambus memory and my PS3....but the retro/workstation collection is coming along well!

Currently I have (and use) an SGI 320 with 1600sw screen (absolutely lovely for photoshop!), an SGI Iris Indigo, an SGI O2, an iMac G3 (600Mhz, Blue Dalmatian) and a 500MHz hot-rodded G3 "Pismo" PowerBook (nicest keyboard and ergonmics on a laptop EVER!)...

I've worked coding software on SUN Solaris, IBM AIX, HPUX, Linux, Irix, and god knows what else...I loved working on SGIs then and I still do now - great hardware, great compilers, good developer support and frankly awesome end-user experience. I love NeXT for the same reason - the object orientated environment is great, but basically, they just work. Watching the "Interpersonal Computing" demo just makes you realise how far ahead of the curve NeXT was - when that "expensive" machine launched, the only thing I know of that was capable of matching it for actual through put of work would have been something like a Personal Iris machine and they started ar around the $30,000 Mark. The "Cheap" Iris Indigo debuted in '92 and cost $15k-ish and only had 8-bit colour at that price. If you wanted 24-bit "Elan" Graphics with 3-D texture capability, you were looking at a lot more!

NeXT failed because idiots in the press thought it was an expensive Mac although, I can recall a Macintosh LC with 13" colour screen being priced in excess of £2000 in 1992! (which was equivalent to about $3500 and had half the spec of a Colour NextStation Turbo that sold for $4000), but the truth is it was a dirt cheap workstation with a great User Interface and development environment. Gotta love NeXT and Mr.jobs vision - collaborative workflows and the like about...what, 15-20 years ahead of Windows 7? hahaha!
dai_vernon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first computer was a powermac 7100 (BHA) that my dad's work had remaindered. I mainly used it to play Sky Shadow and Armor Alley. The first computer I ever owned was an iMac G3 Snow for my 13th birthday.
rpangrazio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first computer I ever used was a Tandy Color Computer 3, it was about 1988 or so. It was my brothers, but he is really cool and we both learned BASIC. I got him one at a garage sale for like 5 dollars about 8-10 years later, so he had a backup.

The first computer I ever owned was a Compaq portable, the one shaped like a suitcase and weighed ruffly the same as a small bull elephant. Made the same year I was born. I got it second hand somewhere in the early nineties.

My first Mac was a Mac II. I have had quite a few macs over the years, some working some not. A Quadra 630, a Umax J900 - both at about 1999. A 512k in 2002. A Powerbook g3(walstreet) 2003. And a Powerbook 190cs that I still have.

My first Next machine was not a Next but a HP 712 I got about 6 months ago.

My favorite machine I ever owned though was an SGI Octane i had in college. I really wish I never sold it. My 712 is quickly becoming number 2 though.
idylukewild

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First computer used: 1979, Univac mainframe at U of Md. in introductory programming class. Used IBM punchcards. Still have a 'batch' printout for a graded project!

First computer owned: 1986, PC XT clone - when the clones came out there was a store around here you could go to and buy all of the parts to make a clone -cheep! A great improvement over punchcards!

Luke
victormeunier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for personal work :
1996 : Pentium pro PC with windows 95
1998 : Pentium II PC with windows 98
2001 : Pentium III PC with windows XP
2006 : Acer aspire 9410 with windows XP
2008 : iMac aluminium intel with OSX leopard
2009 : macbook pro intel with OSX snow leopard + virtualized windows XP and NeXTSTEP 3.3 CISC.

for collection or partial work :
macintosh 512k
macintosh plus x3
macintosh plus titanium
macintosh LC
macintosh IIci
macintosh SE FDHD 1/30
macintosh SE FDHD 1/40
Atari 1040 ST
Sinclair Spectrum +
Newton messagepad H1000
Newton Messagepad 130

Last edited by victormeunier on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
domiel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high school had a lab with two Apple II's a ZX-81 and two Microbee's (a local Australian Z-80 based system)

I think the first thing I ever programmed with one of the Microbee's.

My father then got me a Commodore64 and the rest as they say is history Smile
OpenToNeXT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First computer for my 16th birthday: TRS-80 Pocket computer, with a generous 1.9K memory and a cassette tape drive. Utterly useless to me since I didn't enjoy basic programming. I used it more of like a calculator. Though I worked on Apple IIe and AT&T PC clones, my first computer I owned was the Mac XL in 1986, given to me by my parents. I loved that computer. The first one I bought myself was a Macintosh Portable. I had to choose that over a NeXT slab because my first middle school teaching assignment didn't include a single classroom and I couldn't lug the NeXT from home to school and back.

Since then, I've had PCs, Newtons, Macs and Mac Clones until the Intel generation. My favorite was having a classroom full of NeXT slabs and cubes in the middle school, all hooked to a NeXT laser printer and the Novell Network and internet. Sure confounded my English students when they tried to figure out what kind of operating system it was.
bkmoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first computer I had was an Apple IIe that my parents bought in 1983. I played lots of Wizardry and Ultima 2 on it. I also learned Basic and Pascal. I later on used Apple Fortran in my first year of college. The first computer I bought with my own money was an G3 Powerbook Wallstreet in 1998.
skaffloth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first "computers" I was programming was the Olivetti Programma 101... I still have the original manual and a magnetic card with a program I wrote... OK, it was made when I was born, but I did program on it when I was 10-11 years old...

Se here: http://www.silab.it/frox/p101/

I also used the Sinclair Cambridge Programmable as well...
My own real computer was a Sinclair ZX80 kit, I then added memory, upgraded it to a ZX81 and got circuits to get the screen to display while I pressed the keyboard etc.. I still have it but it is broken, maybe I just need to exchange all components on it to see if it will boot up...

Otherwise PET 2001/ABC 80 was a lot.
The Sinclair Spectrum, Acorn BBC.

Unix wize I think I have touched over 40 different Unix dialects... Started with Unix on a PDP11... Loved the big Lauderdale 88K machines... the Nixdorf ones was great, their terminal systems was the best.

I did love the Sharp PC-1500, it is a full computer in that little case, had a 4 color plotter and communication device, had? still has it.

I owned the first IBM PC when released, I bought it using my own money, it was very expensive... Had access to Macintosh already (128k).

Have run it from DOS 1.0 up... Someone stole it from my work, still mad about that one.

Some other stranger machines, Nokia MIKRO MIKKO 1 up to 3,
using FASOS Operating System and the FAS language (Fortran Assembler),
also used their state of the art Mini Computer Systems to build the Security Systems for the Security Conference as well for the Swedish Security Police (SÄPO) and Interpol. These was nice machines! FAS is byte code compatible and you could move between CP/M, PC-DOS, Mini Computer and also IBM Mainframes without even re-compiling! Long before Java... I can't even find a single reference on the web about these nice machines... Not even Wikipedia tells you that Nokia actual produces mini computers back then. It had a nice Control Data 50+10MB Hard drive (BIG ONE)...

I worked a lot on mainframes between 1982 and 1984 as well...

Next was introduced to me on a demo in 1991? Got sold, could not convince anyone to buy a machine for me, had a lot of HP and IBM RTs to play with already.
Sona s NeXTSTEP for Intel was released I got it and bought a VERY expensice 3DLABS GLINT card to get 32 bit color and full resolution. That was heaven...

I now own two black HW, a cube 040'25 and a Turbo Color Slab...

I am trying to port Hercules onto NeXT and run MVS 3.8J, anyone have 3270Vision Smile
allisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pc was a assembled machine. And my best friend had given me that on my birthday.
applefreak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first computer

begin 1985, have seen 'at work' a mac 512k, one without an external diskdrive
it seemed to me, they didn't anything else than swapping floppys

nevertheless, i bought it second-hand, and the imagewriter II with feeder, an external diskdrive, a numeric keypad

NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commodore Pet for me also in the late 70s early 80s.

tj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: