NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
OpenSTEP 4.2 running in Parallels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkmoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: OpenSTEP 4.2 running in Parallels Reply with quote

I'm a long-time ago NeXT user. I was running NS3.3 on intel back in '94 while in college. I decided to try getting OpenSTEP running in Parallels as a good weekend project.

My observations, lessons learned:

1. The best configuration is the Other/Other standard config. Don't change any settings except for the memory and VRAM. I set the HD to a 2 gB static drive.

2. I was able to get networking running using the NE2000 driver disk. Once I had the network running, I FTP'd to my computer and got the user patch with the video driver.

3. I set up my virtual machine as the NetInfo domain host. I configured my macintosh to connect to the Virtual Machine for the NetInfo server. I then set up my macintosh as a clone of the parent NetInfo domain. This is critical so the Mac will boot and not hanging waiting for NetInfo to come online. It might be better to set the mac as the domain host, but 10.4 has a lot of the NetInfo capability removed. Ugh. It was easier to go the other way and just set up a clone.

4. Once NetInfo was up, it was a snap to set up the network file system.

5. I didn't need to deactivate VT-X support. OpenSTEP seemed to work fine with it on on my system. Confused Sometimes it would hang during booting. I just forced it to hard reset until it boot. These old operating systems are a bit finicky.

6. I need to figure out a good way to sync the time with my macintosh. I found a hack on the VMWare forums. There has to be a better way.

All in all, a nice blast from the past. Now if someone would write a sound driver and SCSI driver for the parallels virtual machine, we'd be cooking with gas. I'm asking my parents to mail me my NS Academic bundle so I can play with all the developer tools again. If it keeps being fun, I'll try to get a color slab. I dreamed of having one in college, but they were way too expensive at the time.

Brian Moore
gkaplan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Parallels without disabling VT-X Reply with quote

That's a nice finding. Did you just tried several times until it booted up?

I wasn't able to boot with VT-X enabled on Parallels 3 (build 5608). I'm using a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz / 4Gb and Leopard with all patches. Don't know if it would be relevant...

G.
bkmoore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Parallels 4.0 Build 4.0.3540 on Tiger (10.4.11), hosting OpenSTEP 4.2 with User Patch set 4. My iMac is the white 20" with 2.16 GHz core 2 dual (T7400). I'm not sure what the name for that chip set is. I have Intel VT-x turned on and haven't had any issues. I saw the posts recommending turning it off, but my mind set is if it ain't broke, why fix it?

The only time my virtual machine has hung while booting is occasionally while loading the ISA/EISA drivers. This usually happened after I changed a configuration setting. I saw some gouge on cycling PnP support using Configure.app in config=Default mode to get it to boot. I did that a couple of times at first, but then I noticed that if I just did a hard reset when it hung, it would boot cleanly most of the time.

Brian
dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: running openstep in parallels (or fusion or other emulator) Reply with quote

I have an openstep system (intel) that i would also like to run
under parallels (or fusion, or some other emulator).

I don't think i have any cds for it, so i wouldn't have a way
to make an iso image.

So how would i make a virtual machine with what i do have?
("What i do have" meaning my running open step system.)

dan
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: running openstep in parallels (or fusion or other emulat Reply with quote

dan wrote:
I have an openstep system (intel) that i would also like to run
under parallels (or fusion, or some other emulator).

I don't think i have any cds for it, so i wouldn't have a way
to make an iso image.

So how would i make a virtual machine with what i do have?
("What i do have" meaning my running open step system.)

dan

Check your PM's. Smile In theory it'd be possible to "dd" your current disk to an image that could be used under a virtual environment, but it'd probably be quicker/easier to just start out from scratch & then copy stuff over the network from your current system. Once you have a working system virtually it is pretty simple to convert it over for other systems. Since I use Virtual Box, Fusion, Parallels, & qemu I do this all the time. I use a patched version of qemu-img that supports all the formats. Make's the whole process pretty painless. Just need plenty of hard drive space. Smile Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yoshi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I've managed to get OS 4.2 to run under parallels 4 (build 4.0.3810) on Leopard (10.5.6) after a bit of playing around. The settings I've used for the vm are 2GB HDD, 128 MB RAM, 8 MB VRAM. I haven't turned off vt-x or used any other advanced system flags (like disabling acpi) which has been recommended by some parallels users, as I that it refuses to boot at all when disabling these settings.

Anyways, it sort of works. I've got no sound, and I haven't attempted to try and get networking going yet so I don't know if there are any problems there yet.

My iss-ewe at the moment is the display. Monochrome @ 640x480, bleh. It's barely usable and it's very slow. I've tried the vesa driver, but it won't go. If I try and use it it freezes during startup, just at the point where it's enabling plug and play for EISA. I disabled pnp, but then it freezes when it gets to "hc0: device detected at [...]" Screenshots for reference:

before disabling pnp:

after disabling pnp:

Oh, and another annoying thing is that I get a dialogue box pop up just after logging in that says "error, the floppy disc is unreadable" or something to that effect, asking me if I want to eject or initialise it. I just choose eject and it's all good after that. I just don't understand why I get this at all. I have no floppy image inserted into the parallels drive, and no cd either. So there's nothing it should be complaining about Shocked

Also this is my first post here, so hai, I'm Yoshi (or Dan, call me either Razz). Long time lurker, only just decided to join Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eagle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Parallels forums? I'm sure there are walkthroughs for running NS33 and OS42 in Parallels, just as there are for running them in VMware.

I have NS33 and OS42 running in VMware, with full mouse integration, network, sound, and 1024x768 color display, and I got there using the posted walkthroughs. (I don't really care about getting a higher resolution, so I didn't worry about figuring out how to do that.)
Yoshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched the parallels forums and found a few topics with people's experiences installing OS in Parallels. Most have had 4.2 working fine in parallels 3 but not in parallels 4. There aren't any walkthroughs or instructions there for getting OpenStep installed (apart from a quick summary of how someone got it to install). It's obviously possible to get it going ok in Parallels 4 with full colour video and networking (I know I'll never get sound but that's not a problem). I think I'm more likely to find someone on here who knows what they're on about than I will on the parallels boards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gkaplan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: OpenStep 4.2 on Parallels 4 Reply with quote

I have a working OpenStep 4.2 on Parallels 4 for some time. In Parallels 4 there seems to be no way to disable VT-x but I works anyway so it seems that was an issue with previous versions of Parallels.

On the display driver side, I have the Vesa driver working with 32 bit color and full resolution with 1440x900 in my MBP with Leopard 1.5.7. Networking is also ok with the NE2000 driver, but I haven't found any suitable driver for the sound.

On the hanging error with the disk drive, you may try with a 1 Gb drive, as the time of OpenStep drives bigger than 1 Gb were quite rare.

Hope this helps, G.
carp-enter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshi wrote:
Hi. I've managed to get OS 4.2 to run under parallels 4 (build 4.0.3810) on Leopard (10.5.6) after a bit of playing around. The settings I've used for the vm are 2GB HDD, 128 MB RAM, 8 MB VRAM. I haven't turned off vt-x or used any other advanced system flags (like disabling acpi) which has been recommended by some parallels users, as I that it refuses to boot at all when disabling these settings.

Anyways, it sort of works. I've got no sound, and I haven't attempted to try and get networking going yet so I don't know if there are any problems there yet.

My iss-ewe at the moment is the display. Monochrome @ 640x480, bleh. It's barely usable and it's very slow. I've tried the vesa driver, but it won't go. If I try and use it it freezes during startup, just at the point where it's enabling plug and play for EISA. I disabled pnp, but then it freezes when it gets to "hc0: device detected at [...]" Screenshots for reference:

I have the same problem, but with 64 MB RAM and 32 MB VRAM. I change the RAM to 128 and ist works fine with 1024 x 768. It seems very tricky. Best is to make a copy of the running system after installing the VESA Driver, before configuring it.
Regards Volker from Palatinate
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Openstep 4.2 in Parallels 6 Crazy Train? Reply with quote

Hello NeXT / Apple community: I have a Mac Mini and Parallels 6 , I also have earlier versions of Parallels but figured might as well go for the latest and greatest and see if it will work ,

How do I get it to Openstep to start booting from a floppy or floppy image in any version of parallels as the Mini does not have a floppy do I just connect a USB floppy and try that route or is there a way to get the boot floppy image to mount like in VM Ware to start things off? Once I can do that I'm off to the races. I'm guessing use the dual channel driver eide?

Any one have a step through on where to find the vesa driver was it on a Y2k patch CD ??? and how to configure it?

Any help appreciated, in VM Ware it was easy to get the boot floppy image to go, parallels , I'm spinning my wheels any help appreciated.

Best regards Rob Blessin

carp-enter wrote:
Yoshi wrote:

I have the same problem, but with 64 MB RAM and 32 MB VRAM. I change the RAM to 128 and ist works fine with 1024 x 768. It seems very tricky. Best is to make a copy of the running system after installing the VESA Driver, before configuring it.
Regards Volker from Palatinate
Cool Cool
bkmoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Since I started this thread, I'll reply. Parallels can boot off of a .fdd image. If you look in the /Library/Parallels/Tools folder there are several .fdd files. You can just copy several to your desktop then use dd to dump the boot and driver images off of this web site to make a set of OS images. I don't remember the exact syntax for dd, but if you look at the man page, it's pretty simple.

Make sure in your VM settings you enable floppy booting. You should be able to mount the virtual HDD and install OpenStep like on any PC at that point.

Hope this helps,

Brian
iDork

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just download the boot & driver floppy images from Apple's web site, change the filename extension to "img" and capture them in Parallels as required (either using the menu command or the little floppy icon on the vm window).
The patches you can put on a CD image (preferably in Mac format). Use DiskUtility of Toast to create the CD image.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Parallels 6 now running Openstep 4.2 on a Mac Mini Duo Reply with quote

Hello NeXT/ Apple Community: Appreciate the help, the install is crawling along but it is working, does anyone else have Parallels running on a Mac Mini with Openstep 4.2 ? I'm just wondering the best approach to networking this beast as well as trying to get color, I'm guessing the VESA VBE driver , I'm trying to locate this one and assume it will be a right of passage trying to configure it and perhaps the NE 2000 for Networking but hoping someone has been there and done that.

Install:
For the initial floppy disk to be recognised , I mounted a Openstep 4.2 boot floppyimage , you can also change the extension to fdd , thanks for the help on that one !

Then for the Openstep 4.2 drivers disk, I unmounted the boot floppy and mounted the Openstep 4.2 drivers disk changing the extension to .fdd ,

I chose the dual channel eide driver , to get there type 7 then enter and 7 again then enter this brings you to the 3rd page of drivers pick the dual channel driver for Hard Drive , then repeat above and pick dual channel driver for CDROM and 2 to exit without loading additional drivers.

It should ask you a series of questions just default through and say yes to install on the partition which is 8Gb , from there it starts installing.

Once it says install complete, make sure and unmount the Openstep drive floppy image before rebooting at this point or it'll hang ! Then press reboot it should bring you to a configuration page, I picked the default vga for the monitor adaptor, clicked done at the bottom of the configure page, it'll give 640 by 480 grey scale and should reboot to the install packages page.

Now I'm currently installing all of the packages which I'm going to let go overnight for some reason the install is crawling this may have to do with hardware acceleration , it seems VMware was faster and I may compare the 2 in a future thread as far as which is easier to configure if there is interestso I'll update this thread as I make progress, my goal is to have color and network it to surf the web on omniweb or better yet Tim Berners Lee's original WWW software written on a NeXT cube, also it would be cool to network to my NeXT computers so I can have fun sending mail and networking stuff back and forth, it would be fun to get a NeXT mail address going to an old NeXT server so people can test to see if there and my NeXT mail is working again at the Black Hole, it has been awhile !

It might be fun to be able to NeXTmail them/ vice versa NeXT apps and other cool stuff

I'm trying to see if I can use an old Airport to configure a Wireless ethernet bridge for the old school NeXT network to use and ping this Mac Mini , I think it will work but I probably need some guru advice on configuring this at any rate thanks for any help or advice in advance.

P.S. If you have a need We have lots of NeXT hardware still in stock so if you need anything or just help getting your original NeXT running or giving her a tune up drop me an email, I'll be glad to help to sales@blackholeinc.com or phone 303-741-9998 , we also accept donations, broker and purchase old NeXT hardware and find new homes for it .

Best regards Rob Blessin

Razz
bkmoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is to answer a question under White Hardware, but really applies to Emulation under Parallels. I found the source of the NE2K driver floppy. It was posted on the Parallels forums: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=3408. There's also some good info for getting OpenSTEP configured under Parallels.

On the VESA driver, from the link,
Quote:

Apprently, the final OpenStep 4.2 patchset 4 adds VESA compatibility. Getting the proper file into OpenStep can be very difficult, however. Sad ....
I'm nor sure what the author means by difficult. I never had any problems getting the driver installed with the Patch.

Hope this helps,

Brian Moore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: