NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Who lives in Texas again? ;D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Who lives in Texas again? ;D Reply with quote

I have gotten word that a once in a lifetime system, a Silicon Graphics IRIS 3130, has become available. It's located in Fort Worth Texas and I currently am waiting to see if my friends father (a trucker) can pick it up while he is down there (he delivers stuff there from Edmonton every so often) however if he can not get it this trip I'm asking if anyone is willing to pick it up and hold it for me until the next time he is in the area.

I know someone here on the forums lives in Texas as I helped him get an Apple Network Server so don't give me that "nobody lives there" hooey. Smile

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
mauve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in Texas again? ;D Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
I have gotten word that a once in a lifetime system, a Silicon Graphics IRIS 3130, has become available. It's located in Fort Worth Texas ....

I was curious to know what this 3130 was, and I found this : http://hardware.majix.org/computers/sgi.iris/iris3130.shtml (provided for the pleasure of those enjoying some computergasms moments) ; once in a lifetime comes a bit as an understatement. There's a Star Trek quality in it (especially the frame buffer).

Too bad I don't live in Texas, I would have gladly provided shelter for such a Lady...
pentium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's one hell of a box. Don't know what exactly my parents will say when they find out but I should be able to counter the addition of the system to my collection by tossing out a few boxes of pc parts.

helf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be in the Dallas/FW area from the 27th through the 1st. Just let me know if I can help. My sister and her BF are moving out there and I'm sure they will hold it for you if I ask. They will be in the outskirts of FW in Grand Prairie.

Dare I ask how much you are going to pay for this?

I've seen a machine like this sell before. I REALLY wanted it Razz I'm trying to limit myself to NeXTs and NeXT paraphernalia for now, though.

*edit*

Just realized it is a 68k powered machine. Bah, If i pick it up, I might not give it back Wink
pentium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what the final cost will be as those god damned ebay snipers have a nasty habit of bumping in their bis the exact microsecond that the auction closes. Ebay REALLY needs to add the 30 second bid extension so we don't have to deal with this crap.

pentium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit! My friends dad will not grab it for me and that makes my life a lot harder. I can now either let it go or have someone hold it until I can afford to ship something so massive AND its monitor. It would be at least $600.

helf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on how much the auction gets to, I might bid on it. If i do, I may leave the option open to you to get it off me at some point Wink

I run into this a lot with out of country auctions. Sucks, most the stuff i want is overseas and i cant afford shipping.
niteshooter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
I have no idea what the final cost will be as those god damned ebay snipers have a nasty habit of bumping in their bis the exact microsecond that the auction closes. Ebay REALLY needs to add the 30 second bid extension so we don't have to deal with this crap.

Why not just set up an esnipe account? www.esnipe.com it's cheap, you don't have to watch the auction and you can set the price you feel confortable with spending so if you win it was at or below what you felt it was worth to you and if it went for some crazy amount then you don't feel bad about missing it.

Granted none of that is going to help you get it picked up.

Kevin
pentium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niteshooter wrote:
pentium wrote:

Why not just set up an esnipe account? www.esnipe.com it's cheap, you don't have to watch the auction and you can set the price you feel confortable with spending so if you win it was at or below what you felt it was worth to you and if it went for some crazy amount then you don't feel bad about missing it.

Kevin

THAT is exactly what I don't want to see. It makes the auction unfair. Either you personally bid or don't bit at all.

EDIT: Helf, if you want to bid, go right ahead as I lost my chance to get it ;_;.

helf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium, tell your friends on nekochan they aren't allowed to bid Wink
pentium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could however they seem to have caught on to my scheme and my mind control waves no longer work on them. They must of found where their wives hid the tinfoil. Wink

niteshooter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
niteshooter wrote:
pentium wrote:

Kevin

THAT is exactly what I don't want to see. It makes the auction unfair. Either you personally bid or don't bit at all.

EDIT: Helf, if you want to bid, go right ahead as I lost my chance to get it ;_;.

Well life is unfair sometimes.... Shocked

The flip side is, your max bid wasn't high enough ANYWAY.

It keeps me from buying stuff I don't really want for prices that aren't worth it for one thing.

For another it prevents shill bidders from boosting up the price on you. What I am referring to is fake bidders that a seller may have set up that keep pumping up the price.

There are times when I snipe an auction that had no other bidders I don't loose sleep over that either. It costs about $1 per $100 worth of bid points. Canadian auctions seem to rack up a base $1 cost though.

I used to watch auctions right up to the end and fire in a bid that way, probably the same complaint you have, thing is there is really nothing that can be done about it and the cost is so minimal that it's dumb not to use the service.

I've saved lots of $$$, not wasted my time watching something I didn't really need (hmm like most of the stuff I bought lately) and lets me pay what I think the thing is worth.

Besides which you really want this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-Onyx-10000-InfiniteReality-Server-Rack_W0QQitemZ200255128224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Servers?hash=item200255128224&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Kevin
pentium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fool, has been trying to sell that rack for ages. When will he realize that it's worth less than a standard sized keg of Molson Canadian?

pentium

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who won it?

helf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^_^

*raises hand*

Can't wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: