NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXT as a Print Server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: NeXT as a Print Server Reply with quote

Not sure this is the correct place to post this question, so please be gentle. I am looking to use my NeXTStation turbo mono (NeXT Color Printer) as a print server in a network with XP and OSX 10.4.11. Can someone point me in the direction for instructions on how to set this up? There must be this information on the net somewhere I just have not been able to find it. Thanks!
Shuren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://groups.google.it/group/comp.sys.next.sysadmin/browse_thread/thread/a8eb07578c50a4a0?hl=it&ie=UTF-8&q=nextstep+print+server#e9fabede78fbf499

Maybe it is interesting to try out CUPS on NeXT.
ph

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha... my question from 2002 Razz Very Happy Guess I've been looking for a NeXT color printer for quite awhile. But good news! it arrived today! Time to get busy...
rice0067

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help.
I used to have a version of samba / rumba on my next. I had a flakey next laser printer that I was able to share to a winnt 4 machine via windows sharing (I think) and I had found a PPD file for the next laser printer.

---------
this is copy paste from
http://therisnospoon-excursions.blogspot.com/2006/09/printing-to-next-laser-printer-from.html
---------
Configuration:
NeXTStation Turbo running NeXTStep 3.3 with a local NeXT Laser Printer
Windows XP Home PC
Both machines on a local subnet.
Host file on Windows resolves the proper name / IP for the NeXT

Steps for solution:
Install the NeXT Laser Printer on the NeXT and make sure it works. Mine was locally named Local_Printer.
Install samba on the NeXT. I used version samba 2.0.4 in binary form from here. (ftp://ftp.next.peak.org/pub/next-ftp/next/apps/utils/networks/samba.2.0.4b.1.NIS.b.tar.gz)
Setup authentication. This is always the fuzzy part for me. Supposedly the guest access will work. I also had a login account on the next with the same username as my windows machine. In general, a very simple network drive share can be used for testing this portion of the process.
Add two new files: /usr/local/lib/smb.conf and /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap (contents below)
Add the printer from Windows using the Apple LaserWriter v23.0 (included in XP).
Print away.
In general, there is probably more to do to get observation of the queue from Windows. I didn't really pay any attention to this or worry about it. After all, it works for printing -- everything else is just showing off.

/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = Workgroup
encrypt passwords = yes
guest account = archerca
log level = 4
printing = bsd
printcap = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
[test]

comment = testing
path = /usr/spool/samba
print command = /usr/ucb/lpr %s
read only = no
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
printable = yes

/usr/local/samba/lib/printcap:

Local_Printer

--------------

Hope that helps!
(dont know if a ppd exists for the color printer. wich is also an IBM and a canon color printer)
May also need to change a line in the ppd to call it a level 2 postscript instead of a level 1
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use good ol lpr for printing. My main printer @ home is an ancient SPARCprinter hooked upto a Sparc 5 w/ a custom version of ghostscript to drive it. Smile Every system in my house, NeXT, Mac, Solaris, etc prints to that thing perfectly. Here's a URL though that might give you more help:

http://reely.com/darren/xStep/MacOSX_Printing/index.html

In the past besides the old SPARCprinter, I've done the same thing w/ my NeXT Laser Printer. Should work fine. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: