NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amiga A4000T

Smile

tj
victormeunier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkmoore wrote:
Didn't the French make a small all-in-one computer that might have inspired the form factor of the the original Macintosh?

I was just curious if anyone has seen one and can post a picture. I'm not sure what to search for on google to find it. Maybe one of the French users here is familiar with what I'm asking about.

Brian Moore

You definately talk about the Minitel.

Our minitel is very resemblant to the first compact Macintosh.
There was a time when France Télécom (the French company behind the Minitel) tried to export the idea to the US, but it was a huge flop.

Even now, in 2010, the Minitel remains very popular, many families (more in the countryside, and rather aged people) still use it as a way to get information. In fact, the yearly income made by the Minitel in 2007 was estimated at 100 million euros. Rolling Eyes
Empathy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victormeunier wrote:
Even now, in 2010, the Minitel remains very popular, many families (more in the countryside, and rather aged people) still use it as a way to get information. In fact, the yearly income made by the Minitel in 2007 was estimated at 100 million euros. Rolling Eyes

To get information from... where? Income made by the Minitel? You mean people still make this stuff and others buy it? I find this things fascinating.
pan1k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Amiga and NeXT fan. I have both, so I guess I am well covered. I just wish I had more equipment for my NeXT box, such as the DayDream or Nitro... it's sooo hard to find 3rd party accessories for it!
victormeunier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empathy wrote:
victormeunier wrote:

To get information from... where? Income made by the Minitel? You mean people still make this stuff and others buy it? I find this things fascinating.

You get the information from a French network called Télétel, on which the Minitel connects.
It is based on Transpac, it's a network for commutating X.25 packets owned by France Télécom.

You connected to the network and payed the time you spent on the network, just like if you were on the phone. Then you could subscribe to additional content from the terminal.

You had to dial Minitel numbers, just as if it was a phone, only they were slightly different. The most commons were 3617, 3615, 3614 etc, then you had to type the service you asked (usually 4 letters) like 3617 ANNU would direct you to a national phone registry, 3615 ULLA was an erotic adress, etc.

The Minitel was a passive terminal. It was Telematique, and it it recognized in the world as the first commercially successful telematic device and network.

I got it from the French Wikipedia page about the Minitel but a recent article in a French newspaper called "Le Monde" talked about it, that's where i got the information. There are no Minitels sold anymore, the income is made with connexions made from already existing terminals. Some professional services are still available like the registry for national phone numbers or such. Not to mention many people who learnt terminal communication through this device still find it faster to use than computers they don't master.

And moreover, the minitel pages are pretty summed up, no ads, no superficial information, nothing unnecessary, which makes it pretty accurate to find information quickly. Surprised

Well, personally, i'm not a user, but when i was younger, i got to use it a little bit. Not too much though, because i was young and back then, the Minitel bill could get very expensive if you "pushed the wrong button" or connected to adult content (which still represents a huge part of the connexions) so the adults wouldn't let the kids alone with the Minitel Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: