NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Convert .aiff to .snd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Convert .aiff to .snd Reply with quote

Is there a way of converting .aiff files to .snd for use in Rhapsody? I was hoping to try Resound but the links at http://www.cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/next/Resound/ are dead. Will this application work for this purpose and if so, does anybody know where it can be downloaded?

-Carl
Noth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't sox be able to convert that? Not sure it works on NS or OS but it does on most *nix distros.
RacerX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Resound seems to open up AIFF files just fine and by default saves them as SND files. It also has the ability to convert the sampling rates.

I had asked Sean about mirroring his site and it's contents two years ago, but he wanted to keep it just where it was... though he did give me permission to mirror the application itself. So I'll try to find an original copy of it and put it up for you.

I'll try to contact Sean to see what is up with his site. In the mean time, you can at least read the text part of his documentation here (you'll have to copy/paste the address):

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/seanl/next/Resound/Documentation/

to get a feel for how the app works (while your waiting for me to find a copy of it).
CarlP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noth: Thanks, although sox did not compile for Rhapsody, I was able to use it in OS X 10.5 to convert the files.

RacerX: It would be great if you could put Resound up. Although I was able to convert the files, I would much prefer to do it entirely in Rhapsody (5.5).

Thanks for the help!

-Carl
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is the version I've been using on my system (it was on my main applications CD which I left in one of my Mac OS X Server boxes Embarassed ).

Resound 3.0
CarlP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RacerX! I will try it this evening. I always enjoy making my OS X Server install more functional Smile
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlP wrote:
Noth: Thanks, although sox did not compile for Rhapsody, I was able to use it in OS X 10.5 to convert the files.

RacerX: It would be great if you could put Resound up. Although I was able to convert the files, I would much prefer to do it entirely in Rhapsody (5.5).

Thanks for the help!

-Carl

Hi Carl,
Have you tried the older, but newer release of sox I have posted on the web server? I'm pretty sure that the source is posted w/ the binaries. You should be able get it to compile on Rhapsody by looking at the config options in the Makefile from the version I used. That's basically how I got newer versions to compile when I started looking to update the version of sox that is used in GISO.app. sox-12.17.1 was the last version I compiled that way. Hope that helps. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CarlP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help but it looks like it's going to take a bit more work to do this in Rhapsody.

RacerX, the version of Resound seems to be built for a previous version of Rhapsody. I have tried putting the modules and application in the folders described with no luck. I have also tried installing them into /System/Library and /Local/Library, again no luck. I tried compiling the source but it is not finding Soundkit . I am still trying to get this to work though.

kb7sqi - Thanks for the tip on the older sox version. Running make using your supplied Makefile has hit a couple of errors, the first was that sys_errlist conflicted witht he type in stdio.h but I think I solved this. I have currently hit the following stumbling block:
cc -Dunix -DNEED_GETOPT -DNeXT -DNEED_STRERROR -o sox sox.o libst.a -lm
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lm

I am unsure what the -lm flag is for, or whether it references a program that doesn't exist in Rhapsody. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help, I will keep trying. When possible, I do enjoy using Rhapsody to do actual work!

-Carl
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlP wrote:
Thanks for all the help but it looks like it's going to take a bit more work to do this in Rhapsody.

RacerX, the version of Resound seems to be built for a previous version of Rhapsody. I have tried putting the modules and application in the folders described with no luck. I have also tried installing them into /System/Library and /Local/Library, again no luck. I tried compiling the source but it is not finding Soundkit . I am still trying to get this to work though.

kb7sqi - Thanks for the tip on the older sox version. Running make using your supplied Makefile has hit a couple of errors, the first was that sys_errlist conflicted witht he type in stdio.h but I think I solved this. I have currently hit the following stumbling block:
cc -Dunix -DNEED_GETOPT -DNeXT -DNEED_STRERROR -o sox sox.o libst.a -lm
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lm

I am unsure what the -lm flag is for, or whether it references a program that doesn't exist in Rhapsody. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help, I will keep trying. When possible, I do enjoy using Rhapsody to do actual work!

-Carl

Carl,
You shouldn't need -lm. Either remove it or simply put a # in front of it in the Makefile like so: # -lm

Or you could simply change -lm to -lc & see if that fixes it for you. Post your results. If you need my source archive of sox-12.17.1, I'll be happy to post it on the Web Server. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CarlP

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commenting out the -lm did the trick. My unix compiling skills are pretty rudimentary, pretty much limited to ./configure;make;make install. Thanks again for the help!

-Carl
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlP wrote:
Commenting out the -lm did the trick. My unix compiling skills are pretty rudimentary, pretty much limited to ./configure;make;make install. Thanks again for the help!

-Carl

Glad it worked! Smile Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rhapsody All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: