NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
WTB N4006 Sony 17" color monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Classic Computer Marketplace
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: WTB N4006 Sony 17" color monitor Reply with quote

FedEx destroyed a monitor in shipping and they are willing to reimburse $100 and the shipping cost paid. It was a beautiful working N4006 before FedEx got their hands on it. The box was left on my porch looking like this

I had FedEx pick the package back up since it was clearly handled roughly (note the red "this side up" sticker facing forward and the big dent in the box). They inspected the box and accepted responsibility for damage. When they brought the box back to me after inspection and I opened it up I saw the following evidence a a terrific jolt

There were a bunch of broken plastic bits inside the monitor as well (including broken off parts of trim pots!). I hopefully tried to power the monitor up, but despite all of my best efforts I cannot get the monitor to work.

All this seems to confirm what is written here in
"Shipping Damage: Why Monitors are Like Basketballs":
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/crtfaq.htm#crtshd

(Arrrggg!!!)

Anybody want $100 for a working N4006?

Thanks!

Luke
brams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastards!, that's another one bitten the dust..................
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiment exactly Brams!

Thanks for your sympathy. It's bad enough having the monitors die from dimming CRTs and other aging components, it's a tragedy when an otherwise working monitor gets destroyed by shipping company goons!

Luke
brams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have two N4006 monitors both in mint condition, however one of 'em does not work, it does not even power on thus it's likely to be a blown fuse or something in the power supply. I've not had time to look at it, if you where UK based I'd let you have it for the postage costs + a beer or two in the hopes it can be fixed and thus used instead of sitting in a box in the garage getting older by the minuet. However I work away and won't be home for a couple of months.

Plus if you're in the states which I think you are it would cost a fortune to send it.

Do you have another monitor which you can use in the meantime?, if not SGI ones work great and can be had very cheap, sometime you can get Klingon Grey ones which look quite good on the NeXT

Regards
Mick Bramley
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brams-

Thanks for your offer, but I haven't lived in the UK since 1981 when I was a student in London Smile .

Since I have had luck with repairing two other color monitors, I was drooling at your monitor when it was on E-bay. Shipping to the states (I live in Maryland) would be way too costly. Although I have two other color monitors, neither is in top shape. One is dim and the other just can't get focused all of the way (another 'aged CRT' problem). I was hoping the Sony would work well - but it's a loss. Thanks for the tip on SGI monitors. If I can't find a NeXT one I might give an LCD monitor a try. My wife is starting to comment on the mess of 'computer stuff' I am accumulating in my lab and having a single LCD monitor in view and keeping my cubes and slab underneath might camouflage my NeXT 'obsession' better Wink .

Luke
brams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes TFT are nice, I use a Viewsonic VP171b on my NeXTstation and my Octane and G4, it has 2 VGA inputs (NeXT & SGI) and 1 DVI (G4), plus I put the monitor on top of the slab. I use a 21" NeXT on my NeXTcube.
dravier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd add my two cents into this... I actually work for fedEx Ground (if I see the tag correctly are the people who damaged and delivered your monitor). I would offer this suggestion in the future either spend the extra money to use something like Express (which get's rediculous for items this heavy) or try using UPS. Since UPS handles the mix of services (overnight, air and bulk) their loads are a little gentler. FedEx Ground is not the best place to send one-of-a-kinds through. At this point this is a day late and dollar short kind of advice... but something to think about in the future. Sorry about the loss of your monitor and the death of yet another piece of NeXT hardware. Best of luck with finding another monitor...

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dravier-

Thanks for your advice about FedEx Ground and your condolences. I'll certainly insist on UPS the next time I have a large item shipped. There is some good news about the shipment. Two packages were delivered by FedEx and both were damaged. The Turbo Dimension Cube in the other package works fine and appears to be unscathed. Either the Cube didn't get banged around as much or (and this is what I suspect) Cubes are built like bricks!

Luke
danthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: fed up, oops Reply with quote

The samething happened to me with ups years ago with the Next Fimi
monitors. I think some guy tried to send me three of them, only one
wasn't delievered by Jim Carey. Makes a guy want to pack explosives
wit ever Next monitor. Then we can take these jerks out! Wink
Just joking of course!
Daniel
brams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIMI, erk what a piece of crap, at least mine was, having one broken for you, is in fact a favour in the long run, when you consider how much better your eyes will be for not having had to squint at the fuzzy dim image, and also how much better your nerves will be, not having experienced it's constant failures and conking out.

My Fimi was promtly gotten rid in the very early days of eBay, I bet the +ve feedback I received from the buyer would be rapidly changed to negative if he could ammend it now Wink, I did sell it after having it fixed but no doubt something else failed later on. In 6 months I think it broke down 3 times.

Not that you ever likely to find one, but seeing some of the stuff that crops up on eBay, who knows. The N4006 is/was the same monitor as the one used on the Pixar Image Computer.

But unless your stuck for space IMHO the 21" N4005 is a much nicer monitor than the 4006 (which I think is very good), the 4005 I have is better than a lot of other monitors (newer) and certainly clearer then the SGI GDM-4011P I have or anther couple I've seen. Fan makes it a little noisy however.

TFT's are OK but you get the border, you get that with some multisync CRT's though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Classic Computer Marketplace All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: