NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hi from a past lurker & now full member

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Hi from a past lurker & now full member Reply with quote

I have been a member here for some time now. Joined back in 2007 but mostly lurked from time to time. Figure now that I am getting NeXT hadrware again, I would re-introduce myself since I am starting to post all sorts of questions and getting real active on this board now.

So, name is TJ Ferreira, live in Northern California. I owned a real nice NeXT Turbo Cube back in the mid to late 90s and tinkered. For a year actually, I produced by myself a NeXT newsletter. An actual mailed copy that I did on my NeXTcube using PasteUp and Pages I think. It was like a 12 page newsletter. Nothing earth shattering but at least I had fun doing it and had a nice little number of subscribers. I only had it for 1 year as that is all I accepted money for as I was not sure how long I would do it. It was called @Society if memory serves. It was like 15 years ago so hard to remember. hehehe.

I sold off all my goods back in late 90s and now fast forward to 2010, I have the NeXT bug again. Never lost it but finally decided to get a Cube again. I am a Cube nut. I also own an Apple G4 Cube so.

So, as we speak, a sweet 68040 25MHz Cube is in transit to me. I have also found elsewhere a 21" NeXT display that I will one day drive on it. For now it will have the mono NeXT monitor. I am in my collecting phase as we speak. Not only collecting NeXT but also Amiga. I am a new owner of an (NOT WORKING YET AS IT ARRIVED DOA) Amiga A4000T. But, it will run soon. The last of the old Amiga line I could not pass up getting a new old stock model. I guess it sat so long it did not like being shipped to me. Anyway, that is another story.

So, HI! You will be seeing all sorts of messages from me as I am normally a VERY full time member when I get into something. Nice to meet you all.

TJ
pan1k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL! I'm also an Amiga Fanatic. I have my 4000D, a few 1200's and and 2 2000's. Amiga parts are much easier to come by, if you need any Amiga stuff, or wanna trade for NeXT Stuff, let me know Smile What software did you use to produce your magazine, and where did you find a 21" monitor?? I've been looking for one too.
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pan1k wrote:
COOL! I'm also an Amiga Fanatic. I have my 4000D, a few 1200's and and 2 2000's. Amiga parts are much easier to come by, if you need any Amiga stuff, or wanna trade for NeXT Stuff, let me know Smile What software did you use to produce your magazine, and where did you find a 21" monitor?? I've been looking for one too.

In a matter of weeks, I went from never owning an Amiga to now having:

A1000 (real clean) with 1080 monitor, etc...
A500 with 1084 monitor
CD32 (x2)
A4000T (new purchase from Soft Hut but DOA that I am trying to get fixed)
Tons of Amiga mags and softwares.

I am kind of going in my wayback machine and instead of buying a new Mac, I am getting all old systems and going to work the heck out of them. Cool

I found my 21" on Craigslist. It is in transit to me now. Sure hope it arrives safe! These things are heavy and that alone cost me about $175 to have packed and shipped. Along with that 21" I am getting 2 NeXTstations, 1 Turbo and 1 probably for parts as they did not know it was working or not. 3.3 Developer and 5 NeXT programming manuals. So, about $600 later delivered, I have that monitor and other NeXTstations. I spent probably too much but oh well. Those 21" are hard to find.

The "newsletter" I made on the NeXT was PasteUp if memory serves. I created a postscript file and printed an original on 11x17 paper. Then went to photocopy store and printer double-sided copies from my original. Then folded them all, enveloped them, and mailed them off. I forget how many subscribers I had. Maybe 50? 100? I forget. hehehe. That was back in 1996 or so. It was fun either way.

I wish I had saved them. I threw all my extras away back in like 2001 or something when I moved. 8-( It was not super high-tech but I made them and was still proud I got off my butt and did the newsletter.

tj

*Even Rob Blessing of Black Hole wrote an article for one of the newsletters. I think it was about his Super Monster Cube. Cool Hey Rob, you save those newsletters I sent you. Doubtful but you never know with us NeXT hoarders. hehehe. I think since you wrote that article I sent you a free subscription. Cool. I fondly remember 1 issue I did on all RED paper. Once reader emailed me back and said after he read the newsletter, he had sunspots on his eyes. hehehehe. That was the final color paper I ever did. Can't go screwing up peoples retinas now can I. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: