NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Screensavers for NeXTSTEP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Screensavers for NeXTSTEP Reply with quote

So, did a search here and find no threads on NeXTSTEP screensavers and perused the file archive but I am not finding and Screensavers to install on my Cube.

What is the names of the screensavers and where can I find some?

I right now have the screens fading but can't load any screensavers in my pref files as I don't have any on my hard drive.

Thanks

tj
itomato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Install 'Backspace.app' (May only be in Developer Tools/Demo)
2. Install various Backpace Modules (in the archives)
3. Set Backspace.app to launch when the window manager starts, configure your preferred module
LOOM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this backspace module: NeXT.1.2.NI.bs.tar.gz to get a spinning NeXT logo cube on OT4.2, but when I tried to compile the module running "make all" inside the unpacked bundle/module, it failed due to not finding appkit/appkit.h and other appkit files. Isn't appkit included in Openstep 4.2 any more? It's hard to find any information about it, but it seems like it's deprecated in OT? How can I compile this package to make it work with Backspace.app in Openstep 4.2?

Is there a way to get the built-in Nextstep logo screensaver from the loginscreen to run logged in as a normal user? I only get the screensaver-option logged in as root, but it only runs idling in the login box. I want to have that screensaver logged in as a normal user.

itomato mentions setting Backspace.app to launch when the window manager starts. Where is that configured? Is there a launch method to get it to run hidden? Very Happy
itomato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To run BackSpace at login:

Workspace > Preferences
    Dock
    Select BackSpace and check "Start up at login"

NeXTView.BackModule should be in your BackSpaceViews directory (~/LocalLibrary/BackSpaceViews). The pre-compiled version works in OS 4.2, even though the README says 'do a make install'.
LOOM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It worked by just moving the module to /LocalLibrary/BackSpaceViews/ Cool
After running 'make' last time I also tried clicking on the module. It added itself to the module list inside Backspace, but it throw an error and it didn't work (only a black screen) so I assumed it needed some libs to compile.

Is it possible to make apps start up at login without adding it to the dock first?
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOM wrote:
... but when I tried to compile the module running "make all" inside the unpacked bundle/module, it failed due to not finding appkit/appkit.h and other appkit files. Isn't appkit included in Openstep 4.2 any more? It's hard to find any information about it, but it seems like it's deprecated in OT?

To build it you 'll need Developer 3.X (designed for NEXTSTEP 3.X), that you shouldn't install on Openstep because it is not advised.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: