NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
SGI files for Chapter 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brams

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: SGI files for Chapter 11 Reply with quote

Silicon Graphics Inc filed for Chaper 11 on the 8th of May, it seems poor old SGI is having a poor time of it and has been doing so for such a long time.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114708367971646497.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Seems that desktop PC's & servers, Linux, Render Farms, Suns, IBM's and last but not least Macs are proving too much for them to combat.

So it seems that another once great company is going to bite the dust, I truely hope they manage to pull off a miracle, quite what they can do however is beyond me.

Somebody will probably buy them just for the status symbol of using the Silicon Graphics name, much like what happend to CRAY who seem to be rebranding other makers super computers these days.

The computer industry is shaping into one monotonus hardware platform these days, Sparcs days are numbered (maybe Suns too), PA-RISC is I think gone and off the radar, PPC is gone (nearly). Thus we are going to be left with X86 & Intel and AMD I fear. The heady days of the 8 & 16 bit era are long gone when there was so much to choose from, I miss those days.

SGI have made some serious mistakes but hindsight is I suppose a wonderful thing, if they close I will be sorry to see them go, I rememer being in awe of some of the movies SGI hardware was used for, T2 & Jurrassic Park etc.

I bet Jim Clark is spitting again at Ed McCracken for this, Jim Clark always wanted to do somthing to compete with the likes of Apple thus came the Indy & 02, I read the book Netscape Time by Jim Clark and no one at SGI wanted to do machines like this, thinking instead it was better to stay with the big heavy weight stuff, in the end the fights with Ed McCraken cost Jim Clark his position at SGI. I can see parallels with SGI and Apple, particularly under the stewardship of Sculley and JLG, if Jobs along with the NeXT technology and team of people had not come back to Apple maybe there'd be even more parallels.

SGI was once a great innovator, but what have they got left, most of the people that created the horsepower 3D chipsets have moved on to artX, then to ATI and a lot have gone to nVidia.

SGI's stock today is 7 cents a share, down from 45 bucks a share in 1995.
neozeed

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Funny you should mention Cray! Reply with quote

Cause SGI bought them... Sadly they went the way of commodore producing machines that were ok 10 years ago, but just plain useless in this day & age. The MIPS->Itanic thing was a slipup, and just not delivering cheap machines... even their brief x86 pc's were just too expensive. The should have done what nVidia did for them, which is a 'good enough' gl accelerator for peecee's.

At any rate, just be happy that SGI opened XFS, although Ive read somewhere that Darwin is going to import ZFS... I guess they could open IRIX but would anyone care? (I know that others would say the same of nextstep)
brams

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny you should mention Cray! Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
I guess they could open IRIX but would anyone care?

Well I guess thats the whole point, probably not. I was looking at the Tezro last night, you can configure it as a quad CPU, seems on the price list there is a quad 1.0ghz R16K, no idea what it costs, but what significant advantage does the machine have over a quad G5 or even a dual G5 for that matter.

In the day, the Octane had a huge amount of throughput compared to a PC or a Mac but the rest of the world caught up.

Itanic was a slipup, big time, there are arguments for and against MIPS, even arguments for IRIX x86 does the x86 world need another Unix/Linux variant though?

Some people say they should start making x86 platform machines, I guess that would make them PC's, the latter VW machines (not the 320/540) where pretty much that, though the 320 had some nice touches to make it different enough. As much as I hate to say it, it might be time for them to go rather than dwindle on as a commodity PC maker just assembling other people parts into a case, however that's pretty much what Apple are doing now I guess.

As far as I can see. the race is nearly run

Take a look at this though, it's cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMushCnp6o&search=sgi
neozeed

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: this is probably very ill informed... Reply with quote

But after Steve took control of apple, and they had OSX shipping, didnt they move pixar to apple equipment?

Ie Steve flavoried dog food for everyone?
RacerX

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: this is probably very ill informed... Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
But after Steve took control of apple, and they had OSX shipping, didnt they move pixar to apple equipment?

Actually Pixar has always attempted to stay platform neutral. In fact, they tend to change platforms from one feature film to another so that they can show that their software works equally well on any platform.

When Pixar moved from SGIs they started using Linux workstations as I recall. The first time Pixar started using Mac OS X based systems for 3D work (they had been using them for other tasks including video editing since the late 90's) was after the release of the G5.

Not to pull this thread away from the sad news about SGI (which hasn't effected my SGI systems which are all still running as good as when SGI was healthy Very Happy ), but I think the big question with Pixar is what will happen to the software business? One of the goals of the features was to provide a showcase for Pixar software... is Disney going to continue to make software?
neozeed

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Im sure they will. Reply with quote

Just like how next doesnt release anything, its all Apple. I wouldnt want to be a disney animator...
brams

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: this is probably very ill informed... Reply with quote

RacerX wrote:
When Pixar moved from SGIs they started using Linux workstations as I recall. The first time Pixar started using Mac OS X based systems for 3D work (they had been using them for other tasks including video editing since the late 90's) was after the release of the G5.

AFAIK Pixar stopped using SGI workstations during the Octanes lifetime (Toy Story 2?), not sure about server side stuff but I know the farm was running Sun harware for a while, and latterly I think they are using Opterons. However if they now use G5's then that would suggest they use an X-Serve G5 farm?

AFAIK, Lucasfilm & ILM are using Linux/Opteron, in any case Holywood only made up about 20% of SGI's revenue, most of it coming from science & engineering, I think defense made/make the biggest contribution to the bottom line.

PDI/DreamWorks use HP hardware (or did when they did Shrek), not sure what OS or what hardware they use now.

Yeah my Octane will still work if and when SGI go, thats the reality of the situation, the saddening part is that another unqiue flavor of computer platform will be lost to be replaced by what? PC technology on steroids.
RacerX

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: this is probably very ill informed... Reply with quote

brams wrote:
AFAIK Pixar stopped using SGI workstations during the Octanes lifetime (Toy Story 2?), not sure about server side stuff but I know the farm was running Sun harware for a while, and latterly I think they are using Opterons. However if they now use G5's then that would suggest they use an X-Serve G5 farm?

G5s are being used for more than just render farms, Apple developed the Pixlet codec for Pixar which is Mac only. This was done when Pixar started using G5s as workstations at Pixar.

But like I said, Pixar has always been platform neutral. They tend to stay with a single platform for a given feature and then use that feature to say "see what can be done using our software on these systems". And then they move onto something else. If they are still making software then they won't be staying with Apple too long... it wouldn't be good for business.

Oddly, I don't recall them ever using Windows though.

Quote:
AFAIK, Lucasfilm & ILM are using Linux/Opteron, in any case Holywood only made up about 20% of SGI's revenue, most of it coming from science & engineering, I think defense made/make the biggest contribution to the bottom line.

They were still using SGIs and Macs through the making of Attack of the Clones and were one of the first studios to start using Mac OS X for their regular work load.

And you can't forget that Apple has shut out most of the other platforms in the high end video editing business. Final Cut Pro, Motion, Shake, Logic... Apple has done a good job (rightly or wrongly) locking the high end of the industry into using Macs, and that includes Lucasfilms last I checked (last summer).

While I don't agree with the practice of shutting out other platforms (which has been Microsoft's main tactic) it seems to be working for Apple in the broadcast and motion picture industry.
brams

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: this is probably very ill informed... Reply with quote

RacerX wrote:

Oddly, I don't recall them ever using Windows though.

That is tounge in cheek yes? Wink, Pixar probably wanted to get the movies out of the door, imagine BSOD on a Windows render farm?. Hell would freeze over in any case before Steve did anything like that.

My PC could'nt even make a DVD using Pinnacle Studio without going tits up on me, my 5 year old G4 does it without an hiccup. I think they knew using Windows for a job like that wold have been like putting a loaded gun to their head and pulling the trigger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: