NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Online Package System?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is an apt/ports/yum style package system a worthwhile project?
Yes - it would make things like new libraries easier to use/access
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Nope - not really worth the time or effort, if you ask me.
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

itomato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Online Package System? Reply with quote

Strange, but I've never thought or heard of any package system a' la 'ports' or 'fink' available for NeXT systems.

With all the new packages and libraries available, not to mention all the third party stuff in various repo mirrors, maybe it's worth back-porting Fink?
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Online Package System? Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
Strange, but I've never thought or heard of any package system a' la 'ports' or 'fink' available for NeXT systems.

With all the new packages and libraries available, not to mention all the third party stuff in various repo mirrors, maybe it's worth back-porting Fink?

Something like fink, etc would be great, but how many people actually compile stuff on their systems these days? Most ports are never the "same." Even a slightly newer version can require a completely different "patch." It'd take more than a few dedicated people to manage a "ports" system. I personally would love to see it & I'd be willing to help. The only problem is, I don't have "hours" a week to dedicate to something like this. Probably only one or two. Take care

Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would even more interesting with application or application package management, just like a kind of NeXTAppStore !

but someone would have an online server to let it work.
itomato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneNeXT wrote:
application or application package management, just like a kind of NeXTAppStore !

Yeah, that's sort of the idea - I'm not thinking in terms of local package builds - like gentoo uses, but more like an intermediary to an online package database.

There would be means to install and manage packages through Installer.app, with a simpler path to installation than ftp, gunzip, (uncompress/gnutar), etc.

An online package repository and corresponding database with info, metadata, etc.

'fooapp install os42-user-patch4-m68k bash dhcp ssh modernlib-dev...'

A GUI wrapper would be pretty painless to put together, after that.
iDork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with apt, but I do agree that a ports-alike system would be useless on non-x86 systems. Something like the RedHat Package Manager (or whatever similar app Linux users use these days) would be sufficient.

Here is the basic functionality for those not familiar:

1. a single-window GUI with tabs for "installed packages", "not installed packages", "available updates" and "settings";
2. the option to specify a repository (local or remote folder with pre-built packages);
3. automatic dependency detection and resolving;
4. the first two tabs divided into 2 panes - the top pane for browsing through categories (organized as folders) and selecting packages, and the bottom one for displaying package information;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: