NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What Needs to be done for a NeXT Emulator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andreas_g

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. But I think the privilege thing makes PCAP a no-go for Previous.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: I found this really cool , my shared NFS folder is coming in handy as I can now drag drop NeXT 68K apps or any NeXT apps in it from Previous NS 68K or Virtual Box NS Intel.

I can remove the app completely from previous and or virtual box and it will launch and the 68K app . It seems to run faster as it is under Mac OSX Sierra this includes surfing the net with omniweb !

Would this help with faster compiles of new NeXT software?

I also set up an NFS share under Virtual box Openstep Intel so I can drop files from either into the shared NFS folder which creates a bridge under my Mac MINI hood .
Connecting:
Previous NeXTSTEP 3.3 68K , MAC OSX Hosting the shared NFS folder and Virtual Box running Openstep 4.2 Intel

Please note the need to be NeXT fat 68K/Intel apps to work on both if stored on the NFS shared folder and they won't launch in OSX , I tried it gives a message does not conatain software for this type of computer, lol yet, I wonder if copying the old NeXT libraries in would work, I heard this worked for Rhapsody?

Is it possible to have either Previous set up as the Server running any version of 68K NeXTSTEP or Openstep virtually connect on my OSX System to Openstep or 4.2 Intel on Virtual Box ..... I'm trying to figure this out currently true NeXT network and file sharing would be great!

It looks like I may be able to set up 2 Openstep Intel versions under Virtual box (I'm trying it as this works under Linux , you clone drives first then configure networking) and then network an Openstep 4.2 intel server and then Openstep 4.2 clients under virtual box.

So my question is there a way for a NEXTstep virtual image from Previous 68K to Connect to a virtual NeXTSTEP image from Virtualbox, VMware or Parallels all under MAC OSX High Sierra Server?
andreas_g

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'd like to make Previous endianness safe. For now Previous is confirmed to work on hosts with little endian byte order. I think the 68k part should also work on hosts with big endian byte order. But the NeXTdimension part definitely won't. I'd like to fix that.

Is anyone in here able to test Previous on a machine running big endian byte order?

Rob, unfortunately i can't answer your question, but i hope someone else can.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas, I have a fully loaded PowerMac G5 with OS X 10.5. I have not tried compiling Previous on it but I imagine there would be many challenges...
andreas_g

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the biggest challenge when building on Mac OS X v10.5.8 will be to make SDL2 work. Previous has not too many dependencies and I already successfully compiled and run it on a dual CPU PowerMac G5 in the early days when it was still based on SDL 1.2. It was too slow to use, but for testing it would be good enough.

Unfortunately I no longer have the PowerMac G5.

Update: Obviously some people already succeeded compiling SDL2 on a PPC Mac: http://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?p=41186
t-rexky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tremendously strapped for time Andreas, but if I find any spare, I will see what I can do on the G5...

(BTW - I almost ended-up in Vienna this week on a business trip, but I managed to delegate someone else)
andreas_g

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your efforts! I think it is not that important, because obviously there are not many systems around, which are running big endian. So I think it is probably not worth the troubles.

Vienna is still quite far away from my home. I'm living on the other side of Austria (far west).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79
Page 79 of 79

Jump to: