NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
DHCP not working on VMWare Fusion 3.1 & NS 3.3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: DHCP not working on VMWare Fusion 3.1 & NS 3.3 Reply with quote

Hi all,

first off thanks to all those who have contributed to keeping NeXT alive and well! It's great to see OSX's great grandfather is still alive, and now living in VMWare on my OSX laptop!

However, it would be nice if he was able to speak and communicate again... The sound driver (as others have mentioned already) is no longer working, but more importantly, I can't get DHCP to work for the life in me.

First things first: I installed the dhcp-2.0pl1.N.b.tar package and followed the instructions in the associated document to the iota. The system boots well, but DHCP fails to load, presumable because a dylib is missing. What might that be?

VMXNet: Morphing adapter
VMXNet: Found vmxnet/PCI at 0x2024, irq 5
VMXNet: (vmxnet): numRxBuffers=(100*24) num TxBuffers=(100*64) driverDataSize=9000
Registering: en0
en0: opening hardware
en0: vmxnet_ini_ring: offset=9000 length=9000
IP protocol enabled for interface en0, type "10MB Ethernet"
en0: Ethernet address 00:50:56:28:1d:f0
lo0: address automatically set to 127.0.0.1
Setting hostname to MyNeXT
Reinitializing nmserver's network portion
Server bpf Loaded
DHCP
dyld: can't open library: /NextLibrary/Frameworks/System.framework/Versions/A/System (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Thanks!

- Balt
bkmoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DHCP driver you installed is for M68K only. You can tell by the name of the installer package. The dhcp-2.0pl1.N.b.tar. The 'N' is for NeXT hardware. If the installer had an Intel binary, there would be an 'I' in the name. That's the reason it's not loading.

As for setting up networking under VMWare Fusion, I use a static IP address. To do this, you need to go to the networking preferences and generate a MAC address. Then you need to add an entry for you computer to the dhcp.conf file. This is found on a mac under "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet8". Add something like this to the end of the file:

Code:

####### VMNET DHCP Configuration. End of "DO NOT MODIFY SECTION" #######

host vanguard {
hardware ethernet 00:0c:29:5d:30:c9;
fixed-address 172.16.225.20;
}

Naturally, you use the MAC address you generated for the ethernet entry. For the fixed address, you can specify whatever address you desire. I used shared networking, so I made sure it was in the address range for the vmware host.

Once this is done, you configure your VM for static IP networking, no NetInfo sharing. There are many posts on how to do this on this board.

I would like to see a DHCP driver for NeXT Intel, but as far as I can tell, the only DHCP Intel driver in circulation is for OpenSTEP only.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: