NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY - help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bergqvistjl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY - help! Reply with quote

Accidentally hit the power off button when the system was idling at the logon screen, now i've got the UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY error. I've run fsck -y for around 20 times now, how long will it take to repair itself? it seems like every single file on the disk is corrupt, yet from a single forced shutdown? I'm 110% sure its not my HDD thats damaged. Is this normal though?
bergqvistjl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

681 views and no replies??? I've noticed I have the option of installing OPENSTEP on a number of different filesystems (previously I was using the default), could I install it to a less.... crashy filesystem? Which one should I choose?
Noth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your FS was borked beyond repair I suppose. Time to reinstall after recovering your files if you hadn't backed up beforehand.

Unfortunately due to it's age, NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP has a really basic UFS and is prone to problems because of the lack of journaling. As far as I know you can't install on another FS because they don't support the unix file protection/ownership. What filesystems were you thinking of ? I don't recall seeing an option to install to something with OS4.2 in a x86 VM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: