NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
wtfs: not available Initialization Failed during install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewp1973

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: wtfs: not available Initialization Failed during install Reply with quote

I am having issues installing Nextstep on an IDE disk. I seem to have the correct drivers as I get to the point to install to disk. I selected to use all disk space for the installation but then when it tries to initialise the disk i get this error 'wtfs: not available Initialization Failed'. I found another post where someone had this issue but it is not clear how it was resolved. It looked as if he may have used the dual IDE drivers from Openstep driver disk. but when I tried this it comes up wit an error about not recognising some of the code.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Lewp1973

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mean time I have installed Openstep successfully. The only difference is the version of the drivers. The primary/secondary (dual) EIDE and ATAPI driver is v3.35 on the nextstep driver disk and v4.01 on Openstep. I cannot however use the openstep driver for the nextstep install. Is there maybe another version that is between these two??

Thanks.
cubist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: wtfs: not available Initialization Failed during install Reply with quote

Lewp1973 wrote:

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

How large is the disk?
Lewp1973

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with 40GB and 250GB disks. Of course, only 8GB is recognised.
cubist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

I haven't done a white hardware install in years so I'd hoped someone else would answer. And I don't have any of my notes handy which makes this even more likely to be wrong. You are warned.

For 3.3, I believe you want the eide/atapi *dual* driver that is on the additional drivers floppy. A mix a factors determines what will work: which ide buses are used, which devices are master and slave and maybe hardware type. One recommendation is to use one bus with the disk master. Then load the driver above first and select some arbitrary SCSI driver as a placeholder for the second 'unit'. If that doesn't work. Flip the driver loading order. If that doesn't work, change the drive assignments.
Lewp1973

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the dual driver for eide and atapi V3.35. I have also tried with disk as master and cd as slave and also with IDE disk and SCSI CD drive. As I previously stated, I can get Openstep to install without an issue it is just that for some reason the Nextstep disk cannot initialise the IDE disks.
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make a try with IDE disk as master and ATAPI CD drive as slave, both on the same bus (even if it is a dual EIDE/ATAPI driver) ?
cubist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneNeXT wrote:
Did you make a try with IDE disk as master and ATAPI CD drive as slave, both on the same bus (even if it is a dual EIDE/ATAPI driver) ?

And did you select a second SCSI-type device driver *regardless* of whether you are using SCSI and vary the driver selection order as well?

Larger log fragments may be needed here to show what disk unit numbers are being associated with which device and the probe order of hardware on the system. It's solvable in some way, but not without information.
Lewp1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I always choose a SCSI driver even when not specifically using one. Also, if I install on a SCSI hard drive it works without issue. The problem only occurs when trying to install to an IDE hard drive. I also experimented with using the Openstep install floppies to load the drivers but use the Nexstep CD. Then I get a different error about it not seeing any drive at all. But it always get to the point where it wants to install to disk. Normally, if the incorrect drivers are selected or there is unrecognised hardware, the install process freezes before this point.
Lewp1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneNext,

both disk and CD drive were on the same IDE bus. The motherboard i am using only has one IDE connector. I have another PC that I could try where both are on different IDE busses.
Lewp1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubist,

is there a way to easily log the screen output during install so I can post later?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: