NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Need NeXTSTEP/ Openstep VESA VBE 2. Driver is it in archive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Need NeXTSTEP/ Openstep VESA VBE 2. Driver is it in archive? Reply with quote

Hello NeXT / Apple Community:

I have NeXTSTEP 3.3 Patch 2 and Openstep 4.2 patch 4 neither contain the Vesa VBE 2.0 Video driver.

I searched the web including Apples archive for a download the faq exists but I was not able to find the actual driver package and looked through this forum archive but have not located it under Openstep software drivers etc.

If someone has the VBE 2.0 Vesa driver package and can upload it to the archive , it would be much appreciated or email it to me at sales@blackholeinc.com.

I have Openstep 4.2 up and running using parallels 6 on a Mac Mini Duo ,

I checked during boot and it says VBE is supported so I just need the Openstep driver. I'm not sure why they removed it from the Openstep Patch 4 drivers section! On a Mini duo 1360 by 768 is supported by the Vesa VBE driver just need to locate it!

Also does anyone know which driver I should use for the Openstep 4.2 Network driver on a Mac Mini Duo 2009 , 2Ghz , running Parallels 6?

Thanks in advance! Best regards Rob Blessin

Shocked
ebann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah... I just installed OS4.2 on VirtualBox and was just trying to figure out how to transfer the Patch 4 files into the virtual hard disk... how did you managed that?

I was also under the impression that VESA 2.0 driver was part of Patch 4 update...
bkmoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I got the patch into my VM was to get networking going first with the NE2000 driver. Then I just ftp'd into the VM and transferred everything I wanted to have on it.
ebann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an ISO9660 CD image with the files inside... works fine.

Where is the VESA 2.0 driver? I haven't started looking for it yet...
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need NeXTSTEP/ Openstep VESA VBE 2. Driver is it in arch Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:

I found it under configure.app after installing patch 4 , it was a DSO Dumb Shit Operator question on myself doh, now I just need to find the mysterious NE2000 ethernet driver, I this the one I need for a Mac Mini?????
Where is it located as I don't see it in configure.app or the released or beta drivers, is this a 3rd party driver?

I have NeXTSTEP 3.3 Patch 2 and Openstep 4.2 patch 4 neither contain the Vesa VBE 2.0 Video driver.

I searched the web including Apples archive for a download the faq exists but I was not able to find the actual driver package and looked through this forum archive but have not located it under Openstep software drivers etc.

If someone has the VBE 2.0 Vesa driver package and can upload it to the archive , it would be much appreciated or email it to me at sales@blackholeinc.com.

I have Openstep 4.2 up and running using parallels 6 on a Mac Mini Duo ,

I checked during boot and it says VBE is supported so I just need the Openstep driver. I'm not sure why they removed it from the Openstep Patch 4 drivers section! On a Mini duo 1360 by 768 is supported by the Vesa VBE driver just need to locate it!

Also does anyone know which driver I should use for the Openstep 4.2 Network driver on a Mac Mini Duo 2009 , 2Ghz , running Parallels 6?

Thanks in advance! Best regards Rob Blessin

Shocked

Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need NeXTSTEP/ Openstep VESA VBE 2. Driver is it in arch Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

The VESA VBE 2.0 driver is included in the OPENSTEP 4.2 Patch 4 user package. The tar file inside the Patch 4 package was created with a custom version of tar, so you have to jump through a few hoops to get at the VESA driver. The following forum thread has instructions on how to untar the Patch 4 package so that you can extract the VESA driver:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2186

A few additional things to mention are that the driver only works with OPENSTEP, and only with a patched VESA VBE aware Mach Kernel (which it sounds like you have). If you have trouble extracting the driver let me know, I have a copy on my white box that I can send you. Hope that helps.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need NeXTSTEP/ Openstep VESA VBE 2. Driver is it in arch Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:

Hi Rob,

The VESA VBE 2.0 driver is included in the OPENSTEP 4.2 Patch 4 user package. The tar file inside the Patch 4 package was created with a custom version of tar, so you have to jump through a few hoops to get at the VESA driver. The following forum thread has instructions on how to untar the Patch 4 package so that you can extract the VESA driver:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2186

A few additional things to mention are that the driver only works with OPENSTEP, and only with a patched VESA VBE aware Mach Kernel (which it sounds like you have). If you have trouble extracting the driver let me know, I have a copy on my white box that I can send you. Hope that helps.
Thanks Brian and Nitro , The VBE Driver works great !!! Thank you Brian for sending me the NE2000 Driver .fdd , I mounted the floppy image and dropped it into the private/Drivers/i386 then go into configure.app , it does not autodetect the NE2000 ethernet driver so I suspect that this is not the driver I would need for a Mac Mini duo?

I went ahead and added it anyway and booted , in usr/adm/messages it shows that it can't get the config space when trying to locate the driver , so I suspect it means it is not handshaking with the ethernet driver.

Has Anyone successfully networked a mini duo using parallels and openstep 4.2?
I've determined the NE2000 driver won't be compatible with my Mac Mini Ethernet card as it is an intel pro 10/100/1gb so I'm guessing that may be modifying an existing Intel Ethernet driver may work, I'm not sure if it would be a matter of going to expert settings on the driver in configure.app then inputting an autodetect id, I'm guessing it may take using the NeXT driver kit available in NeXTSTEP 3.3 locating a working Linux driver for the Intel ethernet chipset then conjuring up some developer driver mojo and creating a hybrid Intel Openstep ethernet driver for the mac mini , probably easier said than done. Anyone have a good pointer on how to write a NeXT driver FAQ?

Best regards Rob Blessin
AS no Ethernet drivers are autodetected
bkmoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I have never had any problems getting Parallels to auto-detect the NE2K driver. I have two theories, I have never run Parallels v. 6, it might be an issue with that version. My other theory is you mentioned you were using an 8 GB HDD image. You may want to try installing on a fixed-size 2 GB image and seeing if that works better. You can then add additional HDD images as virtual drives as needed. I had my VM running with three virtual HDD images, 2 GB each and had no problems with that setup. There's a NeXT Answer on how to configure the IRQ and DMA settings for two IDE cards.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkmoore wrote:
Rob,

I have never had any problems getting Parallels to auto-detect the NE2K driver. I have two theories, I have never run Parallels v. 6, it might be an issue with that version. My other theory is you mentioned you were using an 8 GB HDD image. You may want to try installing on a fixed-size 2 GB image and seeing if that works better. You can then add additional HDD images as virtual drives as needed. I had my VM running with three virtual HDD images, 2 GB each and had no problems with that setup. There's a NeXT Answer on how to configure the IRQ and DMA settings for two IDE cards.

I hope this helps,

Brian

Hello Brian:
Are you using a Macbook pro?

I'm thinking that the Mac Book pro's have a different flavor of ethernet card than the later model mac mini's , the earlier version of mac ethernet cards like yours probably just work with the NE driver , I think may be because mine is an intel ethernet card 10/100/1Gb is why it won't synche! I don't know if it is even possible for Openstep to support a 1Gb Ethernet card without writing a custom driver.

IE: I know I've run into configuration issues with the Openstep drivers regarding versions of bios like 3com905b works and the 3com905b -tx not working or certain Adaptec Cards 2940 cards not working because of bios revisions where sometimes only the last version of the released driver works , and video cards like the ATI Rage pro where it wouldn't synche unless you went into expert settings and typed in the autodetect id , then set it and the driver would find it .

Also regarding the 8Gb partition , I know it is the max I've had success with
you can install on a larger partition and it works until there is a hardshut down ie power failure then when it asks to fsck everything goes wonky because I don't think fsck understands the larger disc drive geometry's so it spawns thousands of errors and requires a fresh install.

Your right , 2Gb partitions work great by default especially with scsi , they never thought there was going to be a disk drive larger than 2gb at the time from my understanding so they built in a bottle neck , unless writing a disk tab entry for a single partition is possible for some drives to make a 4gb drive a single partition, then to add the second partition you need to edit fstab to mount the second partition , apologies for rambling at any rate. Gotta love the OS and I'm thinking if I have time may be I'll have help to write a driver with guidance from the gurus like yourself!
Thanks your advice is always good!

Best regards Rob Blessin
bkmoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I am still surprised that you are having difficulties getting the ethernet driver going. Parallels emulates all of the hardware. It makes no difference what kind of computer you are running on. The only thing I can think of is you are running version 6, which I have never tried, or a setting somewhere got changed, such as the Ethernet IRQ channel.

As for drive limitations. I seem to remember back in the day there was a theoretical maximum HD size of around 1 or 2 GB. No one anticipated larger drives coming soon, so most BIOS and file systems were not designed to handle any larger capacities. The expectation was by the time the 2 GB barrier is broken, current hardware will be long obsolete and people will just get newer hardware / software. Hardware longevity is usually not first and foremost on peoples minds, especially when they're in the business of selling new machines.

Anyway, good luck getting your Parallels VM up and running. It really shouldn't be difficult. So I think there must be a glitch somewhere in your setup.

Brian
bkmoore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

This might be old news. I upgraded my Parallels to version 6. Parallels 6 does not emulate the NE2000 adapter by default. You can get it to work though. See this thread: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=110324 on how to force Parallels to use NE2000. It worked for me.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: