NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXT and "The Object World", visionnary or just a

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noth

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: NeXT and "The Object World", visionnary or just a Reply with quote

I've been reading a load of old (especially during the death of black hardware) op eds and articles in NeXTWorld magazine and elsewhere, and NeXT's business model of software objects permeates them like a mantra. I know Objective C was designed from the ground up as a OO language, and the NeXT IDE is entirely based on the OO premise...

But in the end, I mean from 93 to 96 during the software only years, did this "object market" vision of developers selling building blocks etc ever get anywhere outside NeXT? Or was it lost in the torrents of the Internet tsunami that hit the computer world once HTTP became the dominant protocol and that a zillion buzz words came into being? All the evangelising I read about in NeXTWorld doesn't ever seem to have lead to anything much ( apart from WebObjects and EOF, which are middleware (another mid 90s buzzword)). Is anyone who was dev'ing on these machines back then able to provide a bit of background to it all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT History All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: