NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
GCC 3.2.3 / 3.4.6 - almost there!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneNeXT wrote:
Thanks for sharing it, I hope I will be soon able to contact you from a custom app ...

This is really peeking my interest Smile. Tell us more!
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a clue ...

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3267

In few words, pop3 seems to be in a good way, smtp support is started, imap should come later.

Thanks to libcurl (http://curl.haxx.se/) !
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneNeXT wrote:
Just a clue ...

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3267

In few words, pop3 seems to be in a good way, smtp support is started, imap should come later.

Thanks to libcurl (http://curl.haxx.se/) !

oneNeXT,
It's been ages since I've had time to work on my "NeXT" like I used to, but curl/libcurl don't take too much to get compiled on the NeXT. The last version I compiled clean ie not using -posix w/ the stock NS 3.3 compiler was 7.25 or 7.26 if I remember off the top of my head. If you check out the antic thread of stuff I had ported & got working on the NeXT, you'll find pretty much all the detaills on getting the stock NeXT email app working w/ fetchmail, stunnel, msmtp. I'm in the process of closing on buying a house. If you need more info, I'll post a follow up next week after things get settled down a bit. For those wondering, I do still have all my NeXT gear. Wink I just tend to do most things in a VM these days. Hope all is well. Take care

t-rexky,
I've read your thread off/on when I've had time over the last few months. I have to say kudos to you! I'd love to see a modern compiler working on the NeXT hardware. In all the time I've been porting things, I've always stayed w/ the stock compiler w/ NS 3.3 for the simple fact that there's some strange bugs when compiling things for the sparc/hppa architectures that you don't see on m68k/i386. Again, one I get through this move this week, I'd be interested in BS'ing one day/night on irc or something. Smile Take care.

Steve, kb7sqi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool oneNeXT - great effort!

kb7sqi - my efforts have been a bit stalled lately with too many things on my plate both personally and professionally. However, I am still hoping to chip away at the compiler when I have time so it would be cool to chat at some point if you think you could spare some time. I would like to re-bootstrap the compiler on m68k with the OS X cctools just to see how it affects the test results. I also acquired a Quadra 660av in mint condition (from the original owner), replaced all the power supply and main board electrolytic capacitors and installed NetBSD/m68k on it. I bootstrapped GCC 3.2.3 on it and run the complete suite of tests to see how the failures compare with my NeXT build. There are just so many things to do on many different fronts that I feel scattered all over the place.

Coincidentally, to add to the scatter, in the last few months I also added an HP 9000 Model 715/100XC and a SPARCstation 20 to my collection. The 715 has now been completely cleaned and refurbished with all new capacitors in the power supply (they were about to go) and ready for NS33 installation. The SS20 still needs a PSU refurbishment plus it is giving me a bit of grief with getting the display to work. Ultimately I will be able to test all four platforms at some point.

And now I need a complete remodelling of my small 'cave' room in the basement since the various hardware is scattered all over every horizontal surface.

Let me know Steve when and how you wanted to connect once you settle into your new home.

Peter (t-rexky).
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:

oneNeXT,
It's been ages since I've had time to work on my "NeXT" like I used to, but curl/libcurl don't take too much to get compiled on the NeXT. The last version I compiled clean ie not using -posix w/ the stock NS 3.3 compiler was 7.25 or 7.26 if I remember off the top of my head. If you check out the antic thread of stuff I had ported & got working on the NeXT, you'll find pretty much all the detaills on getting the stock NeXT email app working w/ fetchmail, stunnel, msmtp. I'm in the process of closing on buying a house. If you need more info, I'll post a follow up next week after things get settled down a bit. For those wondering, I do still have all my NeXT gear. Wink I just tend to do most things in a VM these days. Hope all is well. Take care

Hi kb7sqi,

thatís very nice to have some news of you, youíre still near and thatís great!

Is this the thread youíre talking about:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1154

Itís good to see that Mail.app can still be used by updating some of the system component.
But I would like to get my own access to the mail for my need.
And maybe share a working new application.

The last release of Curl Iíve been able to compile is 0.7.32
I should try with 0.7.35, and for NeXTmail support compression must be managed.
I believe that I found a solutionÖ

Another point is the secure access to mail server and for that, openssl is needed
Do you plan to update your openssl package , or show how you did it ?

Take care, you too .
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-rexky wrote:
Cool oneNeXT - great effort!

kb7sqi - my efforts have been a bit stalled lately with too many things on my plate both personally and professionally. However, I am still hoping to chip away at the compiler when I have time so it would be cool to chat at some point if you think you could spare some time. I would like to re-bootstrap the compiler on m68k with the OS X cctools just to see how it affects the test results. I also acquired a Quadra 660av in mint condition (from the original owner), replaced all the power supply and main board electrolytic capacitors and installed NetBSD/m68k on it. I bootstrapped GCC 3.2.3 on it and run the complete suite of tests to see how the failures compare with my NeXT build. There are just so many things to do on many different fronts that I feel scattered all over the place.

Coincidentally, to add to the scatter, in the last few months I also added an HP 9000 Model 715/100XC and a SPARCstation 20 to my collection. The 715 has now been completely cleaned and refurbished with all new capacitors in the power supply (they were about to go) and ready for NS33 installation. The SS20 still needs a PSU refurbishment plus it is giving me a bit of grief with getting the display to work. Ultimately I will be able to test all four platforms at some point.

And now I need a complete remodelling of my small 'cave' room in the basement since the various hardware is scattered all over every horizontal surface.

Let me know Steve when and how you wanted to connect once you settle into your new home.

Peter (t-rexky).

Hey t-rexky,
It's taken a while longer than expected, but I'm still around. Smile I got a chance to try your new cctools package yesterday. Nice work! I quickly ran into a problem after using it to compile a few packages though. Everything works fine until you try to link to the libraries w/ the stock linker on say another system. I expected that, but was hoping it would still work. Wink Testing confirmed it though. I'm working this weekend, but I'd still like to meet up on IRC or something in the near future. Hope all is well! Take care.

Steve, kb7sqi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneNeXT wrote:
kb7sqi wrote:

oneNeXT,

Hi kb7sqi,

thatís very nice to have some news of you, youíre still near and thatís great!

Is this the thread youíre talking about:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1154

Itís good to see that Mail.app can still be used by updating some of the system component.
But I would like to get my own access to the mail for my need.
And maybe share a working new application.

The last release of Curl Iíve been able to compile is 0.7.32
I should try with 0.7.35, and for NeXTmail support compression must be managed.
I believe that I found a solutionÖ

Another point is the secure access to mail server and for that, openssl is needed
Do you plan to update your openssl package , or show how you did it ?

Take care, you too .

Hey oneNeXT,
I agree, it's pretty easy to still use Mail.app w/ fetchmail, msmtp, stunnel, etc. I've setup things multiple ways testing different email servers. Even using UUCP over SSH/SSL. Smile Sendmail still compiles pretty easily on a NeXT as well. It just uses the -posix flag. The last few versions of Postfix take more work. It's funny, that used to compile pretty much out of the box. OpenSSL posted a new release yesterday & I took the time to compile it quad-fat and linked it against zlib-1.2.8 like I've done in the past. OpenSSL reallly don't take much effort to compile cleanly on a NeXT. It only takes like 3-4 small little mods to the code. The only hassle in compiling it is you have to compile it 4 times (once for each architecture) & then lipo everything together to make a quad-fat package. If you're using a slow system, it can be pretty painful. lol. I compile it in a VM on a fast machine, so it only takes a few minutes. Wink I've posted the OpenSSL/Z-Lib combo package along w/ other packages here:

https://t.co/CNszTmVHvX

I'll post a quick how-to in my old thread here shortly though how to compile OpenSSL so you can reference it & compile it yourself. Take care.

Steve, kb7sqi
t-rexky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
Hey t-rexky,
It's taken a while longer than expected, but I'm still around. Smile I got a chance to try your new cctools package yesterday. Nice work! I quickly ran into a problem after using it to compile a few packages though. Everything works fine until you try to link to the libraries w/ the stock linker on say another system. I expected that, but was hoping it would still work. Wink Testing confirmed it though. I'm working this weekend, but I'd still like to meet up on IRC or something in the near future. Hope all is well! Take care.

Steve, kb7sqi

Hey, and thanks for your kind words.

I cannot recall if I tried libraries created with the new BSD 4.4 based 'ar' with the native NeXT cctools. I thought that the way they implemented support for long member file names was compatible with the BSD 4.3 format, but I may be wrong. The support for long member file names is required to compile recent GCC and other more complex packages (see this interesting post: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2011-11/msg00002.html).

Issues like these contribute to my efforts being stalled, as I mentioned earlier. In order to progress with the porting efforts a unified strategy is required for modernized tools, libraries, etc. All ports compiled with this new setup will require a number of pre-requisites to run. I started thinking about how to structure it all, but I am too inexperienced with software development and too concerned that I make an incorrect assumption or an incorrect implementation. This has to be well planned to work long term and I don't have the knowledge to do it.

It would be great to chat when you are available!
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kb7sqi,

kb7sqi wrote:

Hey oneNeXT,
I agree, it's pretty easy to still use Mail.app w/ fetchmail, msmtp, stunnel, etc. I've setup things multiple ways testing different email servers. Even using UUCP over SSH/SSL. Smile Sendmail still compiles pretty easily on a NeXT as well. It just uses the -posix flag. The last few versions of Postfix take more work. It's funny, that used to compile pretty much out of the box. OpenSSL posted a new release yesterday & I took the time to compile it quad-fat and linked it against zlib-1.2.8 like I've done in the past. OpenSSL reallly don't take much effort to compile cleanly on a NeXT. It only takes like 3-4 small little mods to the code. The only hassle in compiling it is you have to compile it 4 times (once for each architecture) & then lipo everything together to make a quad-fat package. If you're using a slow system, it can be pretty painful. lol. I compile it in a VM on a fast machine, so it only takes a few minutes. Wink I've posted the OpenSSL/Z-Lib combo package along w/ other packages here:

https://t.co/CNszTmVHvX

It's nice to hear from you !
Thanks a lot to update the OpenSSL package and make it available, I hope to try it soon with other lib or in an App.

kb7sqi wrote:

I'll post a quick how-to in my old thread here shortly though how to compile OpenSSL so you can reference it & compile it yourself. Take care.

Steve, kb7sqi

Thanks again, there are some libs that I would make as package and that may help me to do so
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-rexky wrote:
kb7sqi wrote:
Hey t-rexky,

Steve, kb7sqi

Hey, and thanks for your kind words.

I cannot recall if I tried libraries created with the new BSD 4.4 based 'ar' with the native NeXT cctools. I thought that the way they implemented support for long member file names was compatible with the BSD 4.3 format, but I may be wrong. The support for long member file names is required to compile recent GCC and other more complex packages (see this interesting post: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2011-11/msg00002.html).

Issues like these contribute to my efforts being stalled, as I mentioned earlier. In order to progress with the porting efforts a unified strategy is required for modernized tools, libraries, etc. All ports compiled with this new setup will require a number of pre-requisites to run. I started thinking about how to structure it all, but I am too inexperienced with software development and too concerned that I make an incorrect assumption or an incorrect implementation. This has to be well planned to work long term and I don't have the knowledge to do it.

It would be great to chat when you are available!

I've been trying to give this some thought this week in my free time. Ideally it would great to replace some of the broken libs with routines that work properly. I was thinking about your progress w/ shared libs. That'd also come in handy when it comes to compiling stuff that links against tons of stuff like OpenSSL, Zlib, etc. Think about how much time it takes to re-link all the stuff which is compiled statically. Some people only can/want to run NEXTSTEP 3.3. Others prefer to run OPENSTEP 4.2. With OPENSTEP 4.2, there's the huge advantage of being able to use dylibs/frameworks which helps get rid of the problems when compiling statically. There's the problem w/ POSIX stuff.
I spent sometime trying to find a way to resolve the issues w/ using your newer cctools and still keep things compatible w/ the BSD4.3. There's supposed to be a way to "convert" the libs. That's as far as I got before going to work. Years ago, I had re-compiled the cctools from Rhapsody for x86/m68k. It works, but besides maybe some bug fixes, I think the time/effort you've done w/ the newer cctools would provide the most benefit when it comes to "more modern" code. Smile I need to spend some time testing your cctools on my Gecko/Sparc systems though. I haven't had time to do that yet. I know when it comes to the Gecko, there might be some issues trying to compile a newer gcc. There's some stuff missing there compared to the other arch's. I'm not sure why NeXT did that. I wonder if that's why they never "officially" released OPENSTEP 4.2 for hppa despite it being developed & even passed onto some customers in Europe. Anyway, I'm going to try to look into the converting libs today I think. Smile
If you're on Google Talk, feel free to hit me up sometime. Same nick @ gmail. Smile Take care!

Steve
t-rexky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
I've been trying to give this some thought this week in my free time. Ideally it would great to replace some of the broken libs with routines that work properly. I was thinking about your progress w/ shared libs. That'd also come in handy when it comes to compiling stuff that links against tons of stuff like OpenSSL, Zlib, etc. Think about how much time it takes to re-link all the stuff which is compiled statically. Some people only can/want to run NEXTSTEP 3.3. Others prefer to run OPENSTEP 4.2. With OPENSTEP 4.2, there's the huge advantage of being able to use dylibs/frameworks which helps get rid of the problems when compiling statically. There's the problem w/ POSIX stuff.
I spent sometime trying to find a way to resolve the issues w/ using your newer cctools and still keep things compatible w/ the BSD4.3. There's supposed to be a way to "convert" the libs. That's as far as I got before going to work. Years ago, I had re-compiled the cctools from Rhapsody for x86/m68k. It works, but besides maybe some bug fixes, I think the time/effort you've done w/ the newer cctools would provide the most benefit when it comes to "more modern" code. Smile I need to spend some time testing your cctools on my Gecko/Sparc systems though. I haven't had time to do that yet. I know when it comes to the Gecko, there might be some issues trying to compile a newer gcc. There's some stuff missing there compared to the other arch's. I'm not sure why NeXT did that. I wonder if that's why they never "officially" released OPENSTEP 4.2 for hppa despite it being developed & even passed onto some customers in Europe. Anyway, I'm going to try to look into the converting libs today I think. Smile
If you're on Google Talk, feel free to hit me up sometime. Same nick @ gmail. Smile Take care!

Steve

Hey Steve,

I am a bit late responding - things got busy at work again and I also now have a newborn who keeps my wife and I on our toes many hours of the day and night Smile. So finding a bit of time for hobbies has been challenging, but I somehow managed a few hours this past weekend.

On the side of my gcc port I finally got SVN working properly on my Synology box and, more importantly, I learned how to use it in sufficient detail to "be dangerous". I spent a number of hours going through my notes and configuration files of various revisions scattered throughout the multiple partitions on my NeXT (the 2GB partition size is REALLY limiting). I was able to retrace pretty much everything I did and load it into SVN for gcc-3.2, 3.4 and 4.2. I still have to go through my gcc-4.4 and 4.6 files as well as though all my notes and various test scribbles. I also rebuilt gcc-4.2.4 with my cctools and it appears to work as well as my build from two years ago that I did with the NeXT cctools. I was secretly hoping that the endless warnings about static functions that I have seen before would disappear, but unfortunately they remained. However, in-between the feedings and diaper changes I am able to make few tweaks to the config files and continue rebuilding the final 3rd stage with the goal of identifying the root cause. I just wish that the NeXT gdb worked properly with the binaries produced by gcc-4.2.4, but unfortunately it has some issues.

With respect to modernizing the libraries, I think I have an approach that works. We just need some planning and some coding to make it happen. NB, I thought that a recent NetBSD or OpenBSD would be a good starting point for the libraries. Now, to the meat of the matter. The way I understand the shlibs work, the linker still uses a static like archive that contains references to the offsets in the applicable shlib. For example, all the system functions are located in the /usr/shlib/libsys_s.B.shlib and all the currently built software uses that library by means of being linked with the corresponding /lib/libsys_s.a. The linker pulls the references from libsys_s.a to appropriate offsets in libsys_s.B.shlib and inserts those into the executable. We would leave all that alone without touching it at all. We would instead create a new libsysnew_s.A.shlib that includes all the replacement functions with a corresponding libsysnewb_s.a for the linker. We then make a copy of libsys_s.a into libsysnewa_s.a and use 'ar' to delete all objects from libsysnewa_s.a that have been replaced in libsysnewb_s.a, so there are no duplicates. Finally, we build a custom compiler with a modified link spec that, instead of linking against libsys_s.a, links with libsysnewa_s.a and libsysnewb_s.a. This way our new executables will pull the functions still defined in libsysnewa_s.a from libsys_s.B.shlib and all the new replacement functions defined in libsysnewb_s.a will be pulled from libsysnew_s.A.shlib. The bonus is that the original NeXT compiler together will all the pre-existing executables will continue using the unmodified libraries, while all executables created with our new compiler will use the modified libraries...

Pfft - that made some sweat roll down my forehead! I have no idea if this makes sense to you, but I actually played with this approach a little bit and created some test libraries and it all worked exactly as I tried to describe above...

Peter.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Canadian Thanksgiving update... Reply with quote

Just a very quick update on my GCC port. I focused my efforts on gcc-3.4.6 since 4.2.4 has been extremely difficult to debug. The biggest recent accomplishment was to get the pre-compiled headers feature to work and then to get the c++ exception handling to work. And the exception handling is Dwarf 2 based as opposed to sjlj, since I used the Darwin implementation.

Here are the current results from the test suite runs:

Code:
        === gcc Summary ===

# of expected passes        24424
# of unexpected failures    98
# of unexpected successes   3
# of expected failures      67
# of unresolved test cases  25
# of untested test cases    7
# of unsupported tests      402
/LocalDeveloper/Build/gcc-3.4.6-svn92/gcc/xgcc version 3.4.6

Code:
        === g++ Summary ===

# of expected passes        9726
# of unexpected failures    23
# of unexpected successes   1
# of expected failures      66
# of unresolved testcases   3
# of unsupported tests      88
/LocalDeveloper/Build/gcc-3.4.6-svn92/gcc/testsuite/../g++  version 3.4.6

Code:
        === libstdc++ Summary ===

# of expected passes        2010
# of unexpected failures    25
# of expected failures      4
# of unsupported tests      9

I think both C and C++ compilers are completely usable now and many of the failures are caused by the NeXT libraries. I am looking through the individual test cases in my spare time but it is a very time consuming process...

Note that these results are for NS33 m68k and I have not done any work on other architectures.
barcher174

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much looking forward to this. I have several questions. Are these test cases provided by GNU or did you develop them yourself? Is this something that we could share the bugs and work one at a time on? Are you hosting these files anywhere? I'm certainly willing to work on some of this if I have direction, but I have no idea where to start. At the very least maybe I can track down the source of some bugs and give a more competent developer information necessary to create a fix.

--
Brian
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
I'm very much looking forward to this. I have several questions. Are these test cases provided by GNU or did you develop them yourself? Is this something that we could share the bugs and work one at a time on? Are you hosting these files anywhere? I'm certainly willing to work on some of this if I have direction, but I have no idea where to start. At the very least maybe I can track down the source of some bugs and give a more competent developer information necessary to create a fix.

--
Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for your offer to help!

All the test cases are the standard GCC test suite cases that come with the compiler. At the moment all the sources are sitting on my internal SVN server, but I can package them and at some point and throw them into my dropbox account.

My first attempts to get 3.4.6 going (just after I was able to successfully complete the bootstrap process) produced literally hundreds of test case failures. I am delighted that I was able to reduce them to the point we are at today. I also built 3.4.6 on NetBSD mac68k so I can cross-check against those results, since some test cases will always fail on m68k due to the compiler and not due to the target specific issues. I also have test logs from my old 3.2.3 build. So we can prioritize the review by looking first at the stuff that worked on 3.2.3 but fails on 3.4.6. Then we can look at the stuff that fails on the NeXT but works on NetBSD. Finally, we can look at everything else.

I have a bit more work to do in order to package the compiler into a universally usable state - for example it currently uses modified system libraries that include two additional string functions required by the libstdc++ library, it uses two additional system headers that override some NeXT definitions, etc.

I can also try to prepare a list of pre-requisites and additional packages required to bootstrap the compiler from source as it is not completely trivial. But this would take still more time. As a side note, it takes close to 24 hours to bootstrap stages 1 through 3 of the compiler on my Turbo Color. It then takes another 24 hours to run the gcc and g++ test cases, and another 12 or 18 hours to run the test cases on libstdc++. Fun!

I think the easiest way would be to make the compiler binaries available with log excerpts that show how to invoke it in order to run the test cases. You could then compile and run the individual test cases and identify with gdb (or with some source modifications to include diagnostic messages) why they are being reported as failures...

Peter.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, some good news. I finally managed to clean-up and package gcc-3.4.6. I guess I will create a new thread with links to the files in my dropbox account.

Still some work left to do, but the compiler appears to be solid. I have not done much work with the C++ side, but it also passes most of the tests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: