NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Apple IIc Plus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bronner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Apple IIc Plus Reply with quote

Last edited by bronner on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
flowerking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people used "Retr0Bright" to clean their computers. It is a "heavy" chemical treatment and you should decide for yourself if you want to do that. But I have seen some computers that looked like new after using "Retr0Bright". You can read about it: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

regards,
Ingo
bronner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Talk about unprepared... Reply with quote

Last edited by bronner on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcdermd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a very un-scientific retrobrite method.

I start by disassembling all of the plastic pieces to be treated. This includes removing any painted metal badges (like the Apple logos). I give them a good scrub and a run through the dishwasher.

I have a large (60q qt?), clear, plastic tote that I fill with water (it fits two compact Macintoshes side-by-side). Then I dump in about a half-gallon of Creme Developer 40 Volume (hair bleach). You can pick up a gallon for about USD $15 from a beauty supply store. I then sprinkle maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup of OxyClean powder over the top. I put the disassembled pieces into the bath and let them sit in the sunshine for several hours, checking every 30 minutes or so to turn them and see how it's going.

After they look good, I rinse them and place them in the dishwasher for a good rinse cycle.

For heavily yellowed items, it may take a few treatments to bring them back all the way but I'd rather have it take longer than risk over-doing it with a stronger solution.

Brush on retrobrite gel and creme concoctions only seemed to attract brush marks for me which is why I switched to a liquid bath instead.
bronner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Os and stuff Reply with quote

Ok, but what do u know about the os and stuff? Do u have an apple iic plus? I don't care as much about the looks as when I first got it.
mcdermd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS? It should read ProDOS disks. The OS is on the floppy. BASIC is in ROM. There was a rudimentary GUI called MouseDesk you could run. Again, this would be on a floppy disk.

You should probably have a look at ADTPro to see about getting disk images transferred to floppy disks on your //c.

There are few mass storage solutions for Apple II but this one for the smartport on the //c and IIgs looks promising.
bronner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: 1.44mb floppies Reply with quote

Is there any way I can keep AppleSoft basic and write to a 1.44mb floppy? Will I need an external drive for 1.44mb disks? I can't use any of the solutions you suggested because I have no money.
mcdermd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the //c+ will only write 800k diskettes. There's a chance you may be able to tape over the HD hole on a 1.44 floppy and use it in your //c+.

As far as BASIC, yeah, you could tap in some BASIC code and save it to disk. I don't think that's what you had in mind, though. You really should have a look at ADTPro. You'll just need a serial cable to connect a modern computer to your //c+. You should be able to find one of those very cheap or even free. Once connected, you use the ADTPro software to upload disk images onto diskettes in your //c+. Have a look at the documentation on the ADTPro page.

The other option is to keep an eye on ebay or similar sites for Apple II prodos disks on 800k floppies.
bronner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Formatting Reply with quote

I don't have a floppy drive on any of my computers... Is there any way I could initiate/format the disk straight from the apple with only AppleSoft basic? Init and catalog commands don't work at all. They turn up a syntax error.
mcdermd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a floppy on your modern machine. Go to the ADTpro page and read it.
bronner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Serial port Reply with quote

My pc doesn't have a serial port, but a guy I know is giving me a computer and said hell give me a serial cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: