NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Slightly off-topic, but not all off-topic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkmoore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Slightly off-topic, but not all off-topic Reply with quote

Two things will happen on June 30th:

Firstly, the French forerunner to the Internet, Minitel is going dark forever. German language article: Adieu Minitel, English translation here. I've never seen a Minitel console, but they were pretty popular in France back in the 80's and 90's. The Minitel was a character-based, all-in-one terminal that could connect to a dial-up internet-like service. People used to read the news, make reservations, and visit 'hot' chat rooms, etc.; most of the same things people do on the internet today.

Secondly, MobileMe is going dark forever. I quietly posted kb7sqi's ports on my idisk for download a while back. So if anyone is looking for these packages, that's where they're at until June 30. Eventually, I plan on hosting these packages on my own server, but that may take a while.
Noth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, the Minitel. So much to say on such a small but useful device. I've tried some, including one of the later colour models (that used ANSI colours). The Minitel network was totally secure by design, which is why the services lasted so long. The network checks automagically for breaches and there's only one central nameserver so hacking it never really happened. Many a mainframe shop ran a service or two for the numerous commercial BBSes. Great fun but no potato compared to the Internet although it was a better system probably till the late 80s. Fair well Minitel, you made a mint for many a future ISP entrepreneur (the owner of free.fr amongst others).
pentium

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances that emulated minitel networks are now going to start popping up?

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: