NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
RDI powerlite (SS5) install watchdog-reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morpheus256

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: RDI powerlite (SS5) install watchdog-reset Reply with quote

Hi!

So I finally got myself a Sparc laptop, a RDI Powerlite which from everything I've read is a 100% SS5 compatible machine OBP 2.15 (110mhz, 64mb ram, 2x810mb hdd, CGsix FB).

The machine run's Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, 7 and appears that it will run 8 without any issue. I got this machine for the convenience of loading Solaris 7 on 1 drive, and NS3.3/OS4.2 on the other.

Loading either NS3.3 or OS4.2 off CD I get created with a watchdog-reset just after "Loading Nextstep/Openstep" I never get to see the 2nd stage loader

When booting with a -v flag after answering 1, 1 for English and install I see it load:

loding OPENSTEP
loading Mach_kernal

reading openstep configuration
loading /usr/standalone/sparc/sarld
Loading Binary for CG6 FrameBuffer Device Driver
SunLE Device Driver
SCSAController Device Driver

starting OPENSTEP

I get a one line screen flash at random on the screen (almost like it's initializing the framebuffer, then a dump back to OBP with the watchdog-reset message.

Everything I've read points a watchdog-reset to a hardware problem but with it running and installing Solaris without skipping a beat i'm inclined to think it's something else.

bifrost workstations teamed up with RDI in the mid 90's and were offering this laptop with Nextstep at the time.

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/comp.sys.next.announce/FNpuXDXgV_k/discussion

Thoughts?
morpheus256

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?

I picked up a second one with a dead screen and more memory. Mines now running 128MB of ram, still wont get past the watchdog reset. I've also tried booting the installer on the other laptop to have the same issue.

I've found other postings on-line from ages ago that say it works, one that said the install was a pain. Any ideas here?...
linmag7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: watchdog reset Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a similar problem on a ss10 with supersparc-II processor. I get a watchdog reset when I try to boot linux. I'm not sure whats going on buy I suspect a faulty CPU i my case. I'm pretty sure everything worked fine with the same ss10 box but with a different cpu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: