NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Application development tutorials?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Application development tutorials? Reply with quote

Greetings, all.

I wondered if there are any NeXT-related application development tutorials available anywhere.

I eventually want to write an iPhone application, but I would also love to write a Mac OS X application and I thought developing for NeXT might be a good place to get started, since it was the original. Smile

Thanks.
All mono
Morgon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Application development tutorials? Reply with quote

eagle wrote:
Greetings, all.

I wondered if there are any NeXT-related application development tutorials available anywhere.

I eventually want to write an iPhone application, but I would also love to write a Mac OS X application and I thought developing for NeXT might be a good place to get started, since it was the original. Smile

Thanks.

If you have the NS 3.3 Developer Packages installed there will be a lot of documentation in "/NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev" and there DevTools for a start.
There is even a lot of documentation and several small example applications for all those nifty classes used to display windows, buttons,.... Many years ago all these documents were available in printed form from Addison-Wesley ( a total of 6 books) but while programming using Librarian to look things up is much faster.

For a real programming start you should start with MacOSX as nearly the whole class hierarchy known to NS 3.3 had been thrown away and made up new from scratch for OS 4.2 and got modified again for MacOSX (which is similar to iOS as I read). There are even some programming constructs that were valid and working with NS but are no longer with OS and MacOSX.

Beside these main differences in class hierarchy both use Objective-C so that would be the first thing to get accustomed to if you haven't used it before for programming as it's quite different to C++ and C#.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: