NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Early NeXT pictures - NeXT factory address?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Early NeXT pictures - NeXT factory address? Reply with quote

Hi,

I just came across this site which shows some photos of early NeXT history, like a lunch meeting in the NeXT factory.

This photo is especially interesting: "NeXT Computer, Palo Alto, California, 1985", it shows a Sun 3/50 workstation with (I suppose) SunView on SunOS. Unfortunately, the resolution is not good enough to decipher the text on the screen...

Then I found this message (sorry, in German only) that announces the "new" Quanta operated Apple factory in Fremont.

The new factory's address is 44350 Nobel Drive in Fremont. Is this by chance the old NeXT factory? I couldn't find a picture of the old factory, a picture of the new factory is included with the article above...

Update - the address of the old factory is 760 Mission Court, Fremont, California 94539 according to this site. So it's a different building.

-- Michael
iMachinchilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am allowed to post a free translation (I hope you appreciate it) Rolling Eyes, the website says:

Apple Names US Final Assembly Facility for the First Time
Tim Cooks announcement to led future Macs be build in the United Stares again seems to be realized sooner than expected: In Apple's latest delivery protocol can be found an entry which could prove this.
Under the point "Final Assembly Facilities" are not only listed Chinese factories, as usual, but for the first time since long ago a location in the US.
Apple does not, as expected, operate it by itself;
responsible for it is the Taiwanese corporation Quanta Computer.

The final assembly facility is located in the US in California, more precisely said at the 44350 Nobel Drive in Fremont. This is not far away from Apple's headquarter: It is roughly 40 kilometers gone by car.
First clues of the US origin of current Apple machines occurred already in December.
Bach then new iMacs labelled "Made in USA" occurred. Albeit the assembly seems to be only parallel to Chinese production - the same models are available as "Made in China". These day Apple did not comment on this discovery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT History All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: