NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
ThinkPad 760L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightengale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: ThinkPad 760L Reply with quote

Need some help. I bought a 760l awhile back with OpenStep 4.2 installed on it. The resolution was 640x480 and greyscale only. Well I guess I got the video driver from here http://next.68k.org/otto/html/openstep.se/resources/files/drivers/nextstep/beta/ installed it and then when reboot I notice that the laptop boots but when it is time to go to the windowed mode all I get is a black screen. That's when I noticed that this was the NS driver! uh oh. So I went here instead: http://next.68k.org/otto/html/openstep.se/resources/files/drivers/openstep/beta/ . This is the OpenStep driver area!

Anyways, how can I get back to be able to boot to the GUI to run configure.app to remove the wrong driver and install the right one. I tried Query=Yes and where it asked Load driver: "VBE20DisplayDriver" I put N for no to force back to VGA but still boots to black screen. I can see the HD activity stop so I type in root, enter, enter so I am pretty certain the laptop is working correctly however it's all a guess becuase of the black screen. I still can get even the default GUI. At this point just would be glad to go back to the default VGA driver and install the correct OpenStep ThinkPad760CD.pkg.compressed driver. This laptop has no floppy drive but does have a CD so I'm burning the driver to CD from macbook. I was hoping to get this laptop working because it brings back so many memories but alas no luck yet.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Thinkpad Reply with quote

Funny, looking at my signature I remembered the HP pavallion I got 4.2 working on. I took it out of storage and fired it up so I scratched the nostalgic itch. Kind of a bummer though, the Thinkpad looks more NeXT-ish all in black...eventually I'm sure I'll get it running right. Rolling Eyes
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you enter "config=Default" at the boot prompt it will set things back to the standard driver. you can then try to install the OpenStep version.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give that a shot, thought i did but I may have capitlized Config oops. Hey Chef do you like BSG or is it a random Icon thingy. I ask becauese wife and I are watching that on netflix. We're on season 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: