NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Fujitsu 280Dx with Openstep 4.2: "ATA Command c4 failed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compgeke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Fujitsu 280Dx with Openstep 4.2: "ATA Command c4 failed Reply with quote

I recently was given a Fujitsu Lifebook 280Dx, stock hardware. The thing with this laptop is I have two front bays that are for the CD-ROM, Floppy, Zip Drive or Battery. For the install install I used the CD-ROM and floppy. With both the CD and floppy installed everything loads fine, however once I remove the CD and put the battery in, I get a repeating "hc0: ATA command c4 failed. Retrying.." until eventually it errors saying that it can't find the root device.

I've already tried booting with the 2nd IDE device disabled permanently, as well as telling the BIOS there's something there when there isn't.

And finally, here's a "screenshot":

Anyone know of anything to fix this?
tjallen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my EIDE hard drives in my office machine started giving the "hc0: ATA command c8 failed. Retrying..." message in my logs around nine years ago. It didn't prevent the machine from booting, but did cause it to hang for long periods of time. I replaced the drive, reinstalled NEXTSTEP, and all was well. I couldn't find much in the way of information about this error (there was one page in Japanese that I found). I believe that these ATA command errors mean that the drive is failing. I would replace the drive and reinstall. If the new drive displays the same behavior, I'd suspect the controller. Fortunately, drives fail more often than controllers in my experience.
Compgeke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try replacing the hard drive, if it's failing I honestly won't be surprised; Toshiba drives are only good for making you money replacing them and paper weights.
tomaz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATA command c8 = READ DMA (w/ retry)
ATA command c4 = READ MULTIPLE
ATA command ec = IDENTIFY DEVICE
ATA command 10 = RECALIBRATE

Do I understand correctly that it can boot from the hard drive fine if the CD-ROM drive is in the laptop, but not if you remove the CD-ROM drive? Or it can never boot from the hard drive at all?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tjallen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In view of this new information, it occurs to me that perhaps the BIOS needs to be checked to make sure that the drive and controller can read multiple sectors. In the EIDE driver there's a "Multiple Sectors" option that perhaps should be unchecked if the hardware doesn't support reading multiple sectors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: